Sony PSP as image viewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbot

Mar 24, 2005
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has tot of using the sony PSP as an image viewer? :) Was thinking of getting it due to its big screen and cheap price tag compared to the ipod photo...

it is STUPID to be used as an image viewer UNLESS you are a Sony digicam user and can plug your memory stick into it. but then it only accept the memory stick duo so I don't think you can do that. moreover, max is only 1GB now.

having said that viewing photos on it is very good due to its very high res and bright LCD.

Hmmm..
Well, it cost $499. You probably need to buy at least a decent 512mb mem card to store some pics. That is another $150.

Total cost >$650.

Why dun u buy a cheap second hand ibook at 700-800 bucks? 20gig of storage, bigger screen, some processing abilites on the go, nice looks, etc.

Of course, PSP have hellava ( or soon to have) better games...
but then , u are looking at a image viewer rite?

tao said:
it is STUPID to be used as an image viewer UNLESS you are a Sony digicam user and can plug your memory stick into it. but then it only accept the memory stick duo so I don't think you can do that. moreover, max is only 1GB now.

having said that viewing photos on it is very good due to its very high res and bright LCD.

My bro is a sony user ;) so have a couple of memory cards available. I was only wondering if I can plug the D70s to the PSP using the USB port to transfer images?

Then I can switch between the memory sticks :)

cosycatus said:
Hmmm..
Well, it cost $499. You probably need to buy at least a decent 512mb mem card to store some pics. That is another $150.

Total cost >$650.

Why dun u buy a cheap second hand ibook at 700-800 bucks? 20gig of storage, bigger screen, some processing abilites on the go, nice looks, etc.

Of course, PSP have hellava ( or soon to have) better games...
but then , u are looking at a image viewer rite?

The PSP region free edition is probably going for ard $400 only. :)

ibook? hmmm good idea but quite bulky to lug one ard all day esp when travelling~

rebbot said:
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has tot of using the sony PSP as an image viewer? :) Was thinking of getting it due to its big screen and cheap price tag compared to the ipod photo...

Both aren't really good if you want to view photos, the resolution on the iPod photo aint' really that good either. Not sure whether you can directly transfer using one of those media readers and view it straight away, for normal photos it needs to pass through iTunes for conversion IIRC. And the media readers (from Belkin etc.) takes quite long to transfer files over to the iPod, thats what stopped me from buying one in the place of an X-Drive. Why not just view it on your D70?

n0d3 said:
Both aren't really good if you want to view photos, the resolution on the iPod photo aint' really that good either. Not sure whether you can directly transfer using one of those media readers and view it straight away, for normal photos it needs to pass through iTunes for conversion IIRC. And the media readers (from Belkin etc.) takes quite long to transfer files over to the iPod, thats what stopped me from buying one in the place of an X-Drive. Why not just view it on your D70?

How the x-drive? :) The screen on the D70s too small liaoz hehehe cannot see it properly esp if there is camera shake

considering the PSP coz its cheap, has a 4.28' screen and displays up to 16.7 million colors

:lovegrin: well i have upload some of e pix i took and my portfolio as well...when i see my client i dont bring my laptop anymore...and e best thing is it can play my animation too.resolution? its damn fantastic !!!try playing ridge rider on it..jaw dropping images!!!!ofcourse u have too bring tissue all e time for ur client...saliva drips kekekekke ;) ;)

rebbot said:
How the x-drive? :) The screen on the D70s too small liaoz hehehe cannot see it properly esp if there is camera shake

considering the PSP coz its cheap, has a 4.28' screen and displays up to 16.7 million colors

The X-Drive doesn't have a display, but if you're looking for something with one then I guess you've to go with the PSP. Hmmm, but whether you can transfer the photos on the go is another thing. Anyway why on earth would you want to view your photos using the PSP/another storage device? Unless you're talking about showing your photos to clients like glensky, if you're just looking for somewhere to dump your photos during a holiday etc. then I guess the X-Drive is a better choice.

wow never know a iBOOK second cost so cheap ... does PS support it ? will get one after switch to DSLR

Trust me on this. When you use it as a digital portfolio, clients will then to ogle at the PSP and not your shots... :devil: ;)

But in all seriousness, the PSP serves very well as a image viewer. :)

S11loop said:
wow never know a iBOOK second cost so cheap ... does PS support it ? will get one after switch to DSLR

just buy a cheap used clamshell iBook... going for around $300~400 nowadays. and you get a relatively large 12" LCD screen, cool design and a few GBs of storage space.

n0d3 said:
The X-Drive doesn't have a display, but if you're looking for something with one then I guess you've to go with the PSP. Hmmm, but whether you can transfer the photos on the go is another thing. Anyway why on earth would you want to view your photos using the PSP/another storage device? Unless you're talking about showing your photos to clients like glensky, if you're just looking for somewhere to dump your photos during a holiday etc. then I guess the X-Drive is a better choice.

I hope to view the pics after I take them so I can be assured that the pictures are not blured or OOF. I have met with so many instances where I tot they looked alrite on the LCD but when I viewed it on my laptop at home...its blurred esp night shots

not really used only to dump photos :)

-.- Then refine your technique lol, use a tripod. Save you a few hundred dollars.

Why not get a old sony clie NX70/80, can use as an image viewer, and also a pda/mp3 player. The lcd screens are higher res den the psp too, 480*320. The NX series can use Compact Flash memory as well as Memory stick pro.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: now e package for psp comes w the software for transferring and converting images,music and videos...buy!!buy!!buy!!

I just read the spec of PSP and the resolution is 130k pixels... isn't that similar to D70?? might as well get a magnifying glass if you are going to a bigger screen if same resolution.

This is what I got from sony website ;) :-

16.77 million colors on a 480x272-pixel high-resolution screen

how do u calculate 130k pixels from the above? :confused:

glensky said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: now e package for psp comes w the software for transferring and converting images,music and videos...buy!!buy!!buy!!

glensky how do you transfer ur images from the cam to the psp? care to share?

rebbot said:
This is what I got from sony website ;) :-

16.77 million colors on a 480x272-pixel high-resolution screen

how do u calculate 130k pixels from the above? :confused:

err... 480 times 272 = 130560 .... 130k?

Status
Not open for further replies.