Sony or Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxxjelly

May 27, 2009
I intend to get a DSLR but I'm not sure which one would be best suited for me (and my bank). I have to save up on my own because I plan to do this independently of my parents. The photos would be mostly portraits, maybe the occasional landscapes... I was thinking Sony A200 but I read around and found that Sony wasn't a very popular DSLR brand. Is there some reason for this? Canon seems okay, but it's a tad pricier than Sony. Any comments?

I intend to get a DSLR but I'm not sure which one would be best suited for me (and my bank). I have to save up on my own because I plan to do this independently of my parents. The photos would be mostly portraits, maybe the occasional landscapes... I was thinking Sony A200 but I read around and found that Sony wasn't a very popular DSLR brand. Is there some reason for this? Canon seems okay, but it's a tad pricier than Sony. Any comments?

I recommend that u go to the shops to try it out as different people prefer different things. So i can't advise u on what u should get.

Not to be bombed by fellow mates, but if you do a simple comparison... A200 should be the DSLR that's worth the buck amongst it's class.
;)

Sony is not as popular as Canon because it entered the DSLR industry only 2 years ago.

But considering its a new brand in this industry, its already one of the top 3 brands. And their bodies are reasonably priced, especially the A200. Worth the buy.

OF COURSE CANON! Just look at sporting events - White Lenses..... On TV news, the journalists - L lenses, Need I say more?

Don't listen to what others says! The N brand, the C brand, S brand or what ever brands.
Go and try it and decide for yourself.

There is no such things as C brand or N brand or whatever brands will produce good image.
Its all in the photographer and understanding of his gears.

Like I said many many times, my friend laughed at me for using Oly and told me NO ONE IN THIS CIRCLE USES OLY!
ANd when I saw the photos he took? Its worst than a kid! (Not saying i am good or what)
so its not about the brands.

Last edited:
OF COURSE CANON! Just look at sporting events - White Lenses..... On TV news, the journalists - L lenses, Need I say more?

You are so enlightened.

Anyway back to topic, go down to the shops and get a feel of the cameras in your hand, play with it, browse menus, take a few shots and etc.

But before hand, do your own online research on the pros and cons of the cams and see what points are important to you. Check several websites, as reviewers are humans too and have their own preferences.

why not buy 2nd hand Canon 450d in CS? look for used lens, which hv quality and cheap. no need new camera for budget ;)beginer.
leaning how to shoot is more important.:)

Those are sponsored IIRC and Sony has their premium lines of G lenses (which are white in case you are not aware) and AF Carl Zeiss lenses which most people drool over.

Although i use a sony, what i can advise you is that both are equally good . Most important is the skill.and knowledge. Anyway you can also have a feel at both in the shop and also do look up individual brand's lens line-up for you to make a choice between the two brands. :)

I would suggest that you compare the features of the entry level cams of both brands and see which you prefer.

One misconception for newbies like us, is that we tend to put too much emphasis on the body. I've seen many alpha shots done better than C and N. It's all in the lens and the photographer's skill.

Me? I'm using a A200 and I think its a good entry level dslr, plus I can get many old KM lens for cheap, and those lens really produces good images.

Life is so unfair ... the poor chap who started the other "Nikon vs Canon" thread was bombarded while this TS was given fair advices. :bsmilie:

Back to the topic, I was reading a lot of reviews between Nikon and Canon some years back and decided to get a Canon 350D (then) instead of Nikon D50 based on the reviews. However, when I went down to the shop and played with both cameras, I bought D50 instead. The moral of the story is ... no matter how much you read, how much your friends influence you, etc ... it's you who will be using the camera. If the price, feel and quality is right for you, just get it and enjoy your shooting. :D

Dun juz compare the price of the camera body
Know the kind of lens u are going to buy for ur kind of photography
Factor in the price of the lens + body as a basic (Haven't touch on other accessories yet)

Dear TS,

I was previously a Sony A200 user, I would gladly tell you it is one of the best bet if you are looking for a relatively affordable dSLR, moreover when I got my first A200W which comprises 18-70 and 75-300 kit lens, it covers a very wide range and angle which is quite good for a newbie who just entered the dSLR world. Lest you might want to place your bet in the second-hand forum and get used to dSLR before you decides whether are you really into dSLR coz buying dSLR is not about buying the body alone, it is the whole system that you are going to consider thereafter. I've no regrets buying the Sony A200 and thereafter moved on to Nikon D300 coz it gives me the feel whether I really enjoy shooting with dSLR or its just a sudden surge in interest which will eventually faded

2 cents worth of thoughts

regards.

Better feel the camera. Have played with a wide range of Sony and Canon ... and Nikon.

For Sony... I strongly recommend the A700, A900. Other Sony models feel cheap (Plasticity) and The colours... some how not there. A700, A900 + all the Carl Zeiss (16~35, 24~70, 70~200mm f/2.8) are definitely money making equipments.

Canon - 40D, if you can find one. Else... the 45D and 500D looks good. After a year.. you prob sell the 450D, 500D away. :bsmilie:

Not going to talk about Nikon.

Anyways... Get a Zoom lens (16~85, 18~200, !8~250/ 270) since I think you still not sure what you will shooting frequently. Practice your composition and framing first.

Happy Spending!

Last edited:

Sony A200 comes with 18-70mm Lens, has AS in body, 9-AF points. I actually found all these out after going to CP and asking about the Nikon D60. After the sales guy offered the A200 as the cheaper and more featured alternative to the D60, I didn't get to buy because I was even more undecided. Point for point, I was utterly impressed with the A200. Then I asked him why it was always Canon or Nikon, he said because they were the easiest to sell but if you look at the features and other technical details, there are other options such as Sony and even Olympus.

Bottom line though, go and try them out yourself. Decide on which system you want to build. What will be important is the skill in using whichever tool you decide to get. But as the sales guys said, the A200 would be a good enough tool especially for the budget conscious to help you make the plunge into DSLRs.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Last edited:
hahaha just get one entry-level dslr, be it 1st hand or 2nd hand, just start shooting! :D

hahaha just get one entry-level dslr, be it 1st hand or 2nd hand, just start shooting! :D

no offence bro, but this is not hwz EDMW where u PCW .... sorry ah.. but ur style very hwz like... :p

dear threadstarter. I'm a nikon user firstly.

No biasness here ok ? Sony, Nikon, Canon, Olympus Pentax . 4 big brands. All 4 big brands are equally good.

There are no such thing as the perfect camera as they compliment each other. My suggestion for you is to head down to the shops, keep an open mind and feel and try out everything. What you feel is the most comfortable and price worthy to you , get that. Dont let people push you around to get what they recommend

Last edited:
do consider all brands.

but let me point out what Nikon and Canon is missing, built-in steadyshot in Sony is worth a consideration.

Good luck mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.