Sony NEX 7 or Canon 60D?

AaronC

Jun 8, 2010
Hi Pros!!!
Read quite abit in here, not sure which way to go..
Which one would u choose if you can choose between the two?
I'm still new to photography, never own DSLR, only Canon G series and S series..
I just wanna know.. Sony or Canon..

I've read the article..

Thanks!

I've read the article..

Thanks!

Totally different cameras... One is a small APS-C mirrorless, the other is a mid-range DSLR. Very different handling, features, etc. You really need to hold both and decide which suits you better.

Also to consider the lens line up and any accessory that you want.

Interchangeable lens system - the word is system. You don't just buy the body alone.

I've read the article..
And? What is your conclusion? What are your questions? What are your considerations? It simply does not matter at all what we would chose, we have different needs, experiences, preferences.. Why should you follow? Unless of course you simply like to copy what others do ..

do consider if you shoot more using optical view finder or the Live View , too.

canon 60d live view a bit more fiddlely than next 7.

Go down to the shops and ask to handle both cameras, then see which one you like better. For 60D, it is a DSLR, quite a bit more beefy and heavy. NEX 7 is smaller (not exactly pocket size though) and had a totally different ergonomic.

Both cameras produce excellent image (nothing to complain over there). The NEX-7 however had electronic viewfinder which some said is better but do note that some would swear by optical viewfinder like those found on DSLR such as 60D.

Frankly, none of us here can tell you want to get or advise on how you would like your camera... however forget about the number of lenses for the camera because for the Sony NEX-7, although native lenses are limited but with a correct adapter, you can still fit on A-mount lenses and retain all the AF capability, plus NEX-7 isn't exactly that small (as compare to the NEX-5n) so, even with bigger lenses, it still handle pretty well.

However, do look at Sony's SLT range of cameras too, not exactly very expensive, and some utilise the same graphic processor and sensor as the NEX-7, so IQ should be similar and the NEX-7.

If for me to choose, I would either go to Canon 60D or a Sony A77, because it suits my style more and I like the handling (although I do own a Olympus OM-D too, more for travelling usage).

Hi Pros!!!
Read quite abit in here, not sure which way to go..
Which one would u choose if you can choose between the two?
I'm still new to photography, never own DSLR, only Canon G series and S series..
I just wanna know.. Sony or Canon..

First, the two are really different like what many had said before.

If u r still new to photography, may I ask why u shortlist the two? I have a feeling u r just thinking of getting 'the best I can afford' given that these two models are not exactly the most entry lvl, and are at similar price points.

If I were u, I would rather consider nex 6 vs 650D and getting a 35mm/50mm/short macro lens with the balance sum. That would get me a better start in photography.

I can almost say that you do not need camera bodies of that caliber (nex7/60D).

Thank you pros for all your comments and feedback. I think I am veering towards Canon 60D.

Thank you pros for all your comments and feedback. I think I am veering towards Canon 60D.

For the same price, look at the a57/a58. Especially if you shoot a lot with live view

If i travel alot and i dont use long lenses +size and weight is an issue. I would definitely only choose the Nex7.

But if i dont mind carrying something bigger and heavier.. or i use alot of bigger/longer lenses. A DSLR would be nicer to use.

So i would say it depends how and what you would use the camera for. Just my 2 cents.

When I am not traveling overseas, I use my D200 to shoot events and some other casual shots.

If I travel, I tend to carry quite a bit of stuff (tripod, camera, 2 lenses, filters, etc) and at times, it is really quite troublesome. I often tell myself "It's nice if I can travel with a mirrorless system!".

What I am trying to say is that it is not apple-to-apple comparison. Both camera systems have their own pros and cons. You really need to prioritize your usages first before deciding what to buy, rather than decide which to buy first and then see what you can do with it.