Sony NEX 5R or Olympus EPL5

Henryks

Jun 27, 2013
Singapore
Comparing either the Olympus EPL5 (or maybe wait for the EPL6 to come out) or the Sony NEX 5R.

I heard from some ppl that although the Sony is supposed to have better image quality cos it is using APSC sensor, compared to Olympus using m4/3 sensor... But actually Olympus pics turns out nicer... I don't know what they meant by "nicer", is it the colors nicer?

I ever rented the NEX 5 for 2 days to try the camera... But that is 2 generations before 5R, and the pics taken using the NEX 5 is not nice.
So I'm not sure if the 5R will be the same image quality.

Anyone used both 5R and EPL5 before? Which is better and which lens is cheaper?

Sony is it can only use Sony lens?
I know Olympus can use panasonic lens too.

some people like Sony's Colors, others love Olympus' Colors.

it's a matter of preference.

and some people take crappy photos, while others take nice photos. so you can't base your purhcase on "nicer photos".

so if the person using the E-PL5 takes great photos, and the one using the NEX-5R takes crappy photos, you'll buy based on that?

it doesn't mean that the camera can take great photos. it just means that the photographer has the skill and experience.

A few clicks in the most basic image editors will change more than those supposedly "brand" colours can do. A bit pointless to go deeper into such rather esoteric topics, especially as a beginner.
Please define what is "better camera" for you, everybody has a different set of parameters for that. For lens prices you can check the price guide section and the virtual shops here. Some also have physical locations where you can have a closer look.
Please read up about 'lens mount' to understand which lenses a certain camera can take.
Secondly, there is the physical mount and the electrical connection. All recent lenses of the same brand as the camera body fulfill both, the same goes for recent third party lenses, e.g. you can get Tamron lenses for Sony mount and it works like any Sony lens.
Other lenses can be mounted using an adapter to fit physically, but the electrical connection is missing. In this case, manual focusing and manual aperture setting is required. Examples: Nikon lenses on Canon body (and many many more).

But usually for most of the ppl out there, when they think of camera, they won't think of Sony. They will never consider sony

But usually for most of the ppl out there, when they think of camera, they won't think of Sony. They will never consider sony

And your point is? That most people don't research before buying?

Then those most of the ppl are so ignorant......

Is this your own personal opinion, maybe based on your own state of knowledge? Or an impression? Or is it based on something that can remotely labeled as fact?

Go out and make more friends. Your social circle is too small.

At the consumer level, Sony's digital imaging equipments are on par, if not better, than brands like canon or Nikon. Sony offer features that other brands don't. To disregard Sony is like saying iPhone is so good so good, and don't give a hoot about android phones when they are in fact similar or better than iphones.

Most Sony users knows the pros and cons of their equipment, and how they compare to canon n Nikon counterparts, having being in the photography industry longer. Ask a canon or Nikon user how much they know about Sony. Most would know close to nothing, and they disregard Sony just like that.

Sony makes sensors for other camera brands, and will soon revolutionize photography of the future.

Wrong... you cannot be more wrong than that. Although I am a Canon and Olympus user, I will still say that Sony made great cameras... and many brands out there are actually using sensors manufactured by Sony...

Also I am seeing huge number of professional photographers who are using Sony as their primary system.

Those that will not consider Sony are either diehard fans of their brands of camera (and in that case, they will not consider other brands of camera too) or too ignorant and arrogant.

Plus reading from your first post... you never point out what you find not nice about the IQ of NEX 5... and frankly speaking from your posts, I seriously find that you just want to justify that Olympus EPL5 is a better choice. If you have already make up your mind for that, then go for the Olympus, there really is no need for anyone of us to tell you otherwise.

Well...in case you think i am or we are against you. NO. We are not.
More or less. All brand are the same.. They all made camera..and all are capable to take equally good images. Yes..they may differs abit here n there as they uses different technology or etc. But you should know. End of the day. They all take pictures and how good the picture turns out. Depends on the user. Not the brand.

Some or rather in your case..Most- People dont think of Sony. Well that's because in the camera market, Nikon and Canon are always heard n found first. For eg. When u talk about smartphone. Most will only think about Apple and Samsung.

Anyway, If u haven't realize. Most get them for several reasons They just like the brand more, Because their friend only introduce them that, Because everyone (majority) is holding so it must be good. So if what i mention here fits what you're thinking...Then of course you wont be looking for anything else.

Ask a canon or Nikon user how much they know about Sony. Most would know close to nothing, and they disregard Sony just like that.

Not say disregard lar, just that if read too much, will only get poisoned and get swayed to that side.... expensive to maintain 2 systems...

There are some interesting features in Sony cameras that are not found in Canon or Nikon systems, e.g. handheld twilight. It's one of those features that make me envy that Canon don't have.

Not say disregard lar, just that if read too much, will only get poisoned and get swayed to that side.... expensive to maintain 2 systems...

There are some interesting features in Sony cameras that are not found in Canon or Nikon systems, e.g. handheld twilight. It's one of those features that make me envy that Canon don't have.

Tons of Sony features not found in other brands......

I was at HK recently and the guy at the peak station, asked me "Wow! Sony got such big lens meh? (135 F1.8)"

Whenever they sees my A850, they will ask, Nikon or Canon. And most of them don't know Sony got so many good lenses.

But on the street, most are Canon, Nikon seems like lesser nowadays. Sony slowly growing but still, hard to find one on the street.

Anyway, depends on your skill and photography knowledge. I even helps my neighbor, who is using Panasonic, to teach her how to set to a mode which is suitable for her. :D

Ok but u guys are saying DSLR... So for DSLR cameras, Sony canon and Nikon are comparable.... How about their mirrorless? Which is better?
Btw about my comment it was actually what I heard at one of the camera shops.

I have no skills and no experience, I only shoot using auto focus and in Jpeg.

I was using LX3 and I love the pics from that camera but lost it, so I'm thinking of getting a new camera... Initially I was looking at LX7 or Leica D lux 6... But ppl are telling me that LX7 sensor is a little bit smaller than LX3, and there are not much differences between these 2 cameras.
So someone told me about Sony RX100 as it has a bigger sensor, 1 inch sensor. Take better pictures than LX7...
But then with the price of that RX100, I can actually get NeX 5R, and it has a much bigger APSC sensor and has more potential as it is a interchangeable lens camera. But after that I heard that Olympus makes better mirrorless cameras than Sony and has faster auto focusing...bla bla bla...

Ok but u guys are saying DSLR... So for DSLR cameras, Sony canon and Nikon are comparable.... How about their mirrorless? Which is better?

I was using LX3 and I love the pics from that camera but lost it, so I'm thinking of getting a new camera... Initially I was looking at LX7 or Leica D lux 6... But ppl are telling me that LX7 sensor is a little bit smaller than LX3, and there are not much differences between these 2 cameras.
So someone told me about Sony RX100 as it has a bigger sensor, 1 inch sensor. Take better pictures than LX7...
But then with the price of that RX100, I can actually get NeX 5R, and it has a much bigger APSC sensor and has more potential as it is a interchangeable lens camera. But after that I heard that Olympus makes better mirrorless cameras than Sony and has faster auto focusing...bla bla bla...

Mirrorless? No fight. Canon n Nikon lose big time. The biggest players are Sony Olympus n panasonic. Samsung has gd offerings too, but... They should just stick with phones n TVs.

If you are a casual jpeg shooter n does no post processing, do note that diff brands have different JPEG engines, resulting in characteristics colours n saturations in photos. If you don't intend to lvl up n just stick with snapping moments for memories, any camera will do fine, in good light.

But if you even consider a leica, I think u are rich. Get the best u can afford. RX100 can be better than a NEX with kit lens in many situations.

Mirrorless? No fight. Canon n Nikon lose big time. The biggest players are Sony Olympus n panasonic. Samsung has gd offerings too, but... They should just stick with phones n TVs.

If you are a casual jpeg shooter n does no post processing, do note that diff brands have different JPEG engines, resulting in characteristics colours n saturations in photos. If you don't intend to lvl up n just stick with snapping moments for memories, any camera will do fine, in good light.

But if you even consider a leica, I think u are rich. Get the best u can afford. RX100 can be better than a NEX with kit lens in many situations.

No la... Not rich... Leica d lux6 is around $1100 if I never remember wrongly...

So with that amount of money might as well get a system camera

RX100 to me is like a compact camera for good-quality snapshots. it's meant to be the go-to camera when you don't want to go out lugging your mirrorless or DSLR with one or two extra lenses.

There are no better cameras out there. Only arrogant people would say that. Nikon and Canon goes another way for their mirrorless offering, the Nikon had smaller sensors but AF and speed wise is excellent and high level noise performance are good too, the Nikon with an adapter could also make use of their native lenses (for their DSLR) with not much slow down in AF speed (as mentioned by one reviewer).

The Canon's had the youngest mirrorless camera in the range, she is the last to join the mirrorless segment. In the past, her EOS-M is slow and sluggish in AF, but recent update in the firmware had more or less solve the problem... although still not class leading, but are pretty good. She at the moment had the least amount of mirrorless camera lenses available, but from reviews and stuff like that, those few lenses are not all that bad either.

Not to forget the Fujifilm's offering... in my opinion, they have the best sensor out there... and the colour are great.

Of course the biggest mirrorless system camera came from Sony, Panasonic and Olympus (three of the oldest companies in the mirrorless camera market) and all three had the widest selection of lenses and accessories.

As for the RX100... it would produce one of the best image for a small camera (with its 1inch sensor). However, there is another camera that people had always forgotten... the Canon's G1X, which had a sensor that is even bigger than the m4/3 and produce image that rival even the DSLR (in high ISO).

Plus... now there are quite a few APS-C sensor compact camera such as the Coolpix A, Ricoh GR, Sigma DP series of camera... and all of them are excellent and pretty small camera that you can carry around easily... but you need to be able to handle prime lens or at least get use to it... and frankly... they are not easy to use.

Finally... I would recommend that you learn to compose your picture, learn the basics of photography (including Aperture and Shutter Speed) before jumping into a thousand dollar system and in the end was too overwhelmed to either give up the hobby or go back to shooting like a point and shoot camera.

Finally... to emphasis (and sound like an Uncle), please don't start comparing and cracking your head at which camera brand is better than the other... because there is no such a thing... and I maintained (even if it mean to offend some others), only arrogant people would mention whichever brand would wins hand down... because at the end... a camera is just a tool for the photographer to take photos...

I was at HK recently and the guy at the peak station, asked me "Wow! Sony got such big lens meh? (135 F1.8)"

Whenever they sees my A850, they will ask, Nikon or Canon. And most of them don't know Sony got so many good lenses.

But on the street, most are Canon, Nikon seems like lesser nowadays. Sony slowly growing but still, hard to find one on the street.

Anyway, depends on your skill and photography knowledge. I even helps my neighbor, who is using Panasonic, to teach her how to set to a mode which is suitable for her. :D

My experience in hk is the opposite of yours. I was on the street taking pic, and this hk guy standing next to me, was pleasantly surprised that I was using sony. It turns out he's a Sony fan too. And we talked quite a lot abt Sony cam

Last edited:

oh my.. i guess. After we posting so much. You still dont get the point. No. Not just DSLR. When we say Camera. We meant..all brand, all sizes.

And u seems very lost. U really dontknow what u want. So now, First. Decide what u want. Then zoom into that area and just get the 1 that u like most or fit your wallet most.
Read more and look around more.

Anyway, on a side note. Since u mention u had no skills and no experience, I only shoot using auto focus and in Jpeg.
Getting anything more than a digital camera should be good enough for you to kick start. Then learn and find out more..Soon, once you understand more. You will be able to answer yourself and make better purchase in the future (should u buy another 1 or change).

Dont worry and dont think too much. 1 just have to get started somewhere. Dont be afraid, just do it.
Overall, there is No bad camera. Only bad user.

Good luck