SONY NEX-3 vs Canon G11 vs Lumix LX3?

captainkookie

Apr 8, 2006
not sure where to post this thread, guess i will just post it here.

nex-3 prices are out: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/06/02/sony-nex-5-and-nex-3-prices-out-for-asia/

and many reviews have been done (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHNr6w1FE0)

interested in getting an average size camera (dslr too big for my everyday shooting) that can take quality photos.

any suggestions on what cameras to get? suggestions besides nex 3 or LX 3 and g11 is welcome too.:)

Last edited:
The Canon G11 is essentially just a "prosumer" point and shoot with a small sensor. The LX3 has a slightly larger sensor, but is a fixed lens. The NEX is a micro-DSLR with a full-sized APS-C sensor. So if quality photos is your top concern, the NEX would be first, the LX3 next, then the G11.

Last edited:
Should consider Panasonic FZ35. read the professional review and user review (e.g. steves-digicams forum).

Excellent IQ, AVCHD video, 18X zoom, power O.IS, much less bulky compared to HS10/SX20. Cheap too $5xx check from sg ebay.

The Canon G11 is essentially just a "prosumer" point and shoot with a small sensor. The LX3 has a slightly larger sensor, but is a fixed lens. The NEX is a micro-DSLR with a full-sized APS-C sensor. So if quality photos is your top concern, the NEX would be first, the LX3 next, then the G11.

oooh, thanx for the analysis. i think what is holding me back is the brand. my sony PnS just died on me after just 2 yrs? was worried tt my investment will die quickly on me again :confused:

Should consider Panasonic FZ35. read the professional review and user review (e.g. steves-digicams forum).

Excellent IQ, AVCHD video, 18X zoom, power O.IS, much less bulky compared to HS10/SX20. Cheap too $5xx check from sg ebay.

ok, thanx! will list it on my list too...

oooh, thanx for the analysis. i think what is holding me back is the brand. my sony PnS just died on me after just 2 yrs? was worried tt my investment will die quickly on me again :confused:

That can be said of all cameras. Then again, most people who bought a Sony A100 DSLR are still using it till today. And sony service is good, you can drop off the camera at any Sonystyle if there's an issue.

unfair to judge a brand based on 1 bad experience...

just because 1 ferrari caught fire along stamford road, does that mean all ferraris are poorly-built? :angel:

and I'm sure besides the sony PnS, you must have other sony products?
LCD tv?
dvd player
hifi?
playstation 3?
clock radio?

I had a 29" Sony Kirara Basso CRT tv, and it lasted well over 13 years! :)

"excellent IQ" is a very subjective term.

If you're well-versed in the basics and have the right support, you could get really nice and sharp night landscape shots with even an old PnS.
So essentially even an old camera can have "excellent IQ".

What the Sony NEX series brings is the APS-C sensor into a very compact body.
For those crazy about thin DOF (and I think the number is quite large), this is the smallest camera that can give you the thin depth of field like a DSLR setup.