Sony New A9 Professional Mirrorless Camera Announced

chipvn

Aug 26, 2010
Sony have just announce their Professional new full-frame mirrorless camera target to Pro user group. List price will be US$ 4k5 and available in June.

Some of the new key features are:

[FONT=&quot]Groundbreaking Full-frame Mirrorless Camera Delivers Unmatched Speed, Versatility and Usability[/FONT]

• World’s first full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP resolution (backside illuminated sensor)
  • Blackout-Free Continuous Shooting at up to 20fps for up to 241 RAW / 362 JPEG images
  • Silent , Vibration-free shooting at speeds up to 1/32,000 sec
  • 693 point focal plane phase detection AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second
  • Extensive professional features including Ethernet port for file transfer, Dual SD card slots and extended battery life
  • 5-axis in-body image stabilisation with a 5.0 step shutter speed advantage

Source Sonyalpharumor.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys-new-a9-announced/

This also interested E-mount users :p

https://www.dpreview.com/news/07913...-adaptor-kit-provides-power-for-e-mount-users

Maybe time to get another A7mk2 for time lapse :D

Update : Saw the price, it's 399 usd, totally not worth. 8 hours to charge up all 4 X FZ100 battries. I rather get a VC n some 3rd party charger for my FW50 better if I am getting a A7mk2

Last edited:
A9 pricing too high for me and also, I am not a wildlife shooter. If I can afford this A9, I will be going to Africa in no time, haha! Now the problem is only one 100-400mm for it, what about those A-mount super tele lenses, can the adapter able to support 20fps!? I think got a version is without the mirror? But since I going for time lapse mostly and also, wide photography, I shall get A99 mk2 which utilize my A-mount lenses more. See who is the rich guy down here getting here, heh heh! ;p;)

Too professional for usage I wait for downscale series maybe A8 with lesser AF points and shutterspeed

Wonder how it performs with the LA-EA4. Recently scored a Minolta legacy lens, which is way more affordable then Sony's telephoto primes . Sony give us a reasonable price 400mm f2.8 without needing to sell the wife and mortgage the house.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't think Sony want to target the major group of photographers with this camera. What they want is to drive the camera market and thus need to participate in the professional segment. This camera answer to the last few common doubts:

1. Mirrorless camera design cannot be as fast as pro DSLR for action type photography: PFS, Buffer, AF speed, tracking speed, etc ...
2. Mirrorless don't have good finder as pro DSLR: slow refresh rate, viewfider blackout
3. Mirrorless camera battery capacity is too small
4. Sony mirrorless camera don't have joystick to move AF point as fast as Pro DSLR
5. Mirrorless camera only have 1 memory card slot
6. ...

When Sony first launched the A7, it was the game changer as the first mirrorless full frame camera in a compact body size. This A9 will be the game changer as the first Pro level Mirrorless full frame camera in a compact body size.

With this new camera, Sony follow the 2 main rivals (Nikon and Canon) in offering 2 different top level cameras for different need: 1 for resolution, 1 for speed.

If this A9 camera can deliver what mentioned in its specs, the only real excuse for most of existing major brands' customers from switching is the cost of switching is too steep ... (the lack of native lens, lack of accessories, etc ... are getting lesser and lesser)

Wonder how it performs with the LA-EA4. Recently scored a Minolta legacy lens, which is way more affordable then Sony's telephoto primes . Sony give us a reasonable price 400mm f2.8 without needing to sell the wife and mortgage the house.

i dont think it will work well with the LA-EA4. the limitation will be the LA-EA4 with it's primitave 9point AF system and slow screw drive AF system. you will lose all the benefits and speed of the A9.

IF they can get it to work like native on a LA-EA3 or a new version LA-EA5 that allows fast PDAF it will be good.

for me i could consider if it worked well with the metabones or MC-11 adaptors with EF mount lenses. but somehow i doubt that will happen. need to see more real world reviews.

i'll wait for an a9 iii or mark iv before i even dare consider this type of camera in the used market.

canon and nikon release their top end dslr every 3-4 years? which most users say is way too long..
sony releases top end models in FE mount every few months which some says too soon..

sony might never release a toned down version a8 but they may release this in higher resolution a9r or maybe an A9s versions.

i'll wait for an a9 iii or mark iv before i even dare consider this type of camera in the used market.

canon and nikon release their top end dslr every 3-4 years? which most users say is way too long..
sony releases top end models in FE mount every few months which some says too soon..

sony might never release a toned down version a8 but they may release this in higher resolution a9r or maybe an A9s versions.

no la.... where got top end models every few months.... the release is about a year la..

maybe between a7, a7s, a7r, the different variants of the same model the time is a few months, but between a7 to a7ii was definitely not a few mths, and between a7r - a7r2 also not a few months.

I also dont expect a A8. Just hope that the new sensor tech flows to say the A7III?

What do you hope to find in A7III that you can't already get from the A9? Sony got you right where they want..... :)

Last edited:
Looking forward for the real review

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

i dont think it will work well with the LA-EA4. the limitation will be the LA-EA4 with it's primitave 9point AF system and slow screw drive AF system. you will lose all the benefits and speed of the A9.

IF they can get it to work like native on a LA-EA3 or a new version LA-EA5 that allows fast PDAF it will be good.

for me i could consider if it worked well with the metabones or MC-11 adaptors with EF mount lenses. but somehow i doubt that will happen. need to see more real world reviews.

Based on review by Pro photographer, Patrick Murphy-Racey, who is also a Sony artisan, he tried on a pre production A9 with LA-EA3 and it does 10fps. See the youtube link mentioned by BBTM above.

Personally for me the negatives aspects of Sony ILC mirrorless body to N or C DSLR have been significantly reduced. N or C users can continue to hold on to that technology but I believe Sony is doing the right moves.

The A9 is aimed at paid Pros so we shouldn't complain about the price because the competition, Canon D1x and Nikon D5 is more expensive. Ppl from those camps still go one last reason to argue, Sony lacks the plethora of lenses. a friend of mine, a Nikon user, cannot get past the idea of using EVF as compared to using his Nikon OVF. I know how much he's losing out on the positives of current technology EVF. We get to see a lot of info through that EVF as compared to OVF. There is very minimum lag time, I personally not bothered or notice the lagon my A6500 or A7 series.

I read at dpreview , lots of comments debunking the A9 based on specs and online images.How biased they are.

To me, it's a matter of time Sony increases it's lens line. No worries, as Patrick Murphy-Racey said, can adapt a MC11 to use those lenses as a short term gap measure.

Last edited:
SLR Revo announced pre-order open. Price around 6.5K inclusive of GST.

Shld be around that price. Definitely the price is for those who make a living out of photography or hobbyist with deep pockets.
Or those that have gold mine too

SLR Revo announced pre-order open. Price around 6.5K inclusive of GST.
Is that just body only or with some freebies ?