SONY LAPTOPS owners......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilla Invades

Dec 14, 2003
Toa Payoh
Visit site
Hi thinking of getting a Sony Laptops....probably one of the latest version. Budget around 3,500-4,000. Purely for photography editing and video editing usage. No games. Always on the move, so desktops are not feasible for me. Able to burn DVDs as well.

I know there is a talk on the Power Book and iBook in another thread. So asking for PURELY Sony Laptops Owners what they think of their laptops and how stable is their system.....thank you.

Models looking at are some of the VAIOs models like the VGN-S18GP, VGN-A17GP and VGN-A19GP

Hope to know more about the past and presents Sony Laptops owners who has been using it.

Thanks guys if you have any feedback!

Dude. You answered your own question. Purely for photo editing and such....Macs rule. With that kind of budget, you won't have a problem getting a Powerbook. I know you're trying to get info on another option like Sony, but there's a reason why many the media industry favours Apples over Oranges.

i was about to say "Get a Mac" when i saw this......
Godzilla Invades said:
I know there is a talk on the Power Book and iBook in another thread. So asking for PURELY Sony Laptops Owners what they think of their laptops and how stable is their system.....thank you.

if you are worried about the getting use to the mac or stuff, dun worry, its really easy to use and get used to. Not as complicated as PC really.

If its purely graphic based get a mac. Sony prices are a killer too.

PLRBEAR said:
Dude. You answered your own question. Purely for photo editing and such....Macs rule. With that kind of budget, you won't have a problem getting a Powerbook. I know you're trying to get info on another option like Sony, but there's a reason why many the media industry favours Apples over Oranges.

If Mac rules, what are the rest of the laptops for?

Yes, i know the "industry" love Apples rather than Oranges, Durians, Pineapples, Jack Fruits, Lychees and any other fruits in this planet. You will still need to give an option to yourself to look at others.

I am just thinking SONY Laptops is somehow of a different standard comparable with others in terms on stablity and graphics. I look at their screen resolution is some how of a different colours with other laptops.

Just like any other photographers, they specialized and concentrate on certain industries. So APPLE may be good but there is still weakness. I would prefer to give some options to choose. Let's have some other comments, especially on SONY OWNERS......thanks!

As mentioned on my first post, finding out more about the stablity of SONY Laptops from past and current owners.

Please, I do not want to turn this into another PC vs MAC flamming thread as it is directed towards SONY OWNERS ONLY!!!!

Thank you for your cooperation!

Belle&Sebastain said:
if you are worried about the getting use to the mac or stuff, dun worry, its really easy to use and get used to. Not as complicated as PC really.

If its purely graphic based get a mac. Sony prices are a killer too.

Yes I know SONY prices are killer but let's keep the thread simple. If you have any experience in a SONY LAPTOP pls share. I am not worried about getting use to it as I have used APPLEs before it turn into MACs.

Thanks.

Godzilla Invades said:
Hi thinking of getting a Sony Laptops....probably one of the latest version. Budget around 3,500-4,000. Purely for photography editing and video editing usage. No games. Always on the move, so desktops are not feasible for me. Able to burn DVDs as well.

Models looking at are some of the VAIOs models like the VGN-S18GP, VGN-A17GP and VGN-A19GP

Hope to know more about the past and presents Sony Laptops owners who has been using it.

Thanks guys if you have any feedback!

You might wanna consider this model as well for portability. http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-tr5gp/index.html?sg

My friend uses this not me (I am a MAC user) but I have played with this and would say that it is rather good for its size. The one thing that I like abt this would be its battery life and it is as small as my 12" PB. Good enuff for heads to turn and carry ard. He uses it sometimes for his graphics.

As for stability ,I would say that it is quite subjective as its OS is Windows XP and if u go on the web, you would need an anti-virus software installed to flush out all the trash that gets in your system. My friend is happy with it and I am happy with my Mac so maybe its better if you go down and play wif it. You can go to Funan as it houses the Sony Gallery and if u wanna try out the MAC you can go up to the apple center there.

fox said:
You might wanna consider this model as well for portability. http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-tr5gp/index.html?sg

My friend uses this not me (I am a MAC user) but I have played with this and would say that it is rather good for its size. The one thing that I like abt this would be its battery life and it is as small as my 12" PB. Good enuff for heads to turn and carry ard. He uses it sometimes for his graphics.

As for stability ,I would say that it is quite subjective as its OS is Windows XP and if u go on the web, you would need an anti-virus software installed to flush out all the trash that gets in your system. My friend is happy with it and I am happy with my Mac so maybe its better if you go down and play wif it. You can go to Funan as it houses the Sony Gallery and if u wanna try out the MAC you can go up to the apple center there.

Thank you for your feedback and info. Will consider the TR-5. Yes I must say it's small and compact. The only thing I do not like is there is no DVD writer but it does have CD writer which is good enuf in most cases.

Godzilla Invades said:
Thank you for your feedback and info. Will consider the TR-5. Yes I must say it's small and compact. The only thing I do not like is there is no DVD writer but it does have CD writer which is good enuf in most cases.

Yeah true true, but I have seen in the US website that u can order wif the DVD burner. Not sure if they allow in S'pore though. You can check that out wif the guys here.

TR-5 is also the one i'm considering to get....but too bad it comes with
only 40GB HDD, am looking for 60GB....so still considering....

But the screen is rather sleek and small, will it be too small for you if you
doing extensive photo editing ?

I fell in love with the VGN-S18GP when I first saw it... the perfect notebook for the work I need to do.. including photo editing on the go..

cookiez said:
TR-5 is also the one i'm considering to get....but too bad it comes with
only 40GB HDD, am looking for 60GB....so still considering....

But the screen is rather sleek and small, will it be too small for you if you
doing extensive photo editing ?

Think it can be connected to an external monitor

Thanks again for the value input from fox but hope to hear more from Sony owners if there is any. TR-5 is a wonderful laptop to own but looking at that price at $3,599.....:bigeyes:

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.