Sony InfoLitium batteries, innovation? I will not buy another Sony product again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp4500

Mar 20, 2003
Visit site
I have two InfoLithium batteries that came with my VideoCam. One of them suddenly fail after less than 20 charges because of the stupid chip in the battery. Call up Sony service center and they say batteries are accessories and are not covered under warranty. :(

But these are no ordinary batteries.... they are infolithium which cost over $100. What is the point of planting a chip in a battery if it causes the supposingly reliable passive component to become less reliable?

The worse thing is that we are not given a choice to use non-infolithium on their device!!! :angry:

This incident cause me to wonder what is the logic behind this stupid infolithium? Create a technology that reduce the reliablity of a component and charges consumer SO MUCH MORE!

Imagine, with the price of 1 infolithium battery, one can get 2-4 normal recahrgable Li-ion batteries which will last 2-4 times longer in the same device. We are paying so much more just to know how much longer the infolithium will last in mins? (Not forgeting the feature also causes your battery to be less reliable!)

:angry: SONY! DON'T TREAT YOUR CONSUMERS AS DUMB FOOLS!!! :angry:

cp4500

Mar 20, 2003
Visit site
RuthBaby, where did you get 3rd party battery from? I am looking for them now. Any idea how much does a 3rd party NP-FM50 equivalent cost?

Thanks!

zod

Mar 30, 2003
same tactic they used with their memory stick

cp4500

Mar 20, 2003
Visit site
I called eastgear but they don't sell :confused: Saw many 3rd party options in ebay but don't feel safe getting them through internet.

Any other options?

Anyone else can help? :)

showtime

May 2, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
cp4500 said:
I have two InfoLithium batteries that came with my VideoCam. One of them suddenly fail after less than 20 charges because of the stupid chip in the battery. Call up Sony service center and they say batteries are accessories and are not covered under warranty. :(

But these are no ordinary batteries.... they are infolithium which cost over $100. What is the point of planting a chip in a battery if it causes the supposingly reliable passive component to become less reliable?

The worse thing is that we are not given a choice to use non-infolithium on their device!!! :angry:

This incident cause me to wonder what is the logic behind this stupid infolithium? Create a technology that reduce the reliablity of a component and charges consumer SO MUCH MORE!

Imagine, with the price of 1 infolithium battery, one can get 2-4 normal recahrgable Li-ion batteries which will last 2-4 times longer in the same device. We are paying so much more just to know how much longer the infolithium will last in mins? (Not forgeting the feature also causes your battery to be less reliable!)

:angry: SONY! DON'T TREAT YOUR CONSUMERS AS DUMB FOOLS!!! :angry:
you seem so sure that its because of the info chip... i have 3 year old info lithiums that still give me 400min on the dv cam...

just bad luck dude. dont slam sony, they make good stuff.

cp4500

Mar 20, 2003
Visit site
showtime said:
you seem so sure that its because of the info chip... i have 3 year old info lithiums that still give me 400min on the dv cam...

just bad luck dude. dont slam sony, they make good stuff.
I send my dv with the dead battery to their service center for verification. They are the one who confirm is the chip in the battery that is bad.

I know part of it is bad luck but still I find it totally unacceptable to pay 100 over bucks for a unreliable battery that doesn't come with any warranty (even eastgear can provide 6 mths 1 to 1 exchange on their OEM battery at less than 1/2 the price SONY charges).

I would not have complain if they charge their batteries at more reasonable price like $30-$40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom