Sony H50 or Canon Powershot S5

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1979sg

Sep 21, 2008
Hi,

Would need some advice from the experts... I was thinking of getting a semi pro camera but cant decide between the Sony H50 and Canon Powershot S5.

Sony H50:
* 15x Optical, 5.1x HD Smart (16:9),
* 9.1 Megapixels
* Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® Lens
* 3 -inch Clear Photo LCD Plus
* High sensitvity
* Photo TV HD
* 300 shots full charge
Lens - Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® , 15x Optical zoom
Sensitivity - Auto / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200

Canon Powershot S5:
* 12x optical zoom
* 8 megapixel
* DIGIC III Imaging Processor
* Multiple Face Detection Technology
* 2.5” vari-angle color LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for easy composition and viewing of images at difficult angles.
* Optical Image Stabilizer
* Auto and A/S/M control
Lens - 12x Zoom: 36(W) – 432 (T) mm
Sensitivity - Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600

I did went to try out the 2 cameras, when it comes to features, it seems like Sony is better and is made in Japan, but when I hold it in my hands, it was so light that it gives me a feeling like a toy camera. As for the Canon, the features may not be as good as Sony but it looks solid on the whole but not sure which country is made from.

Anyone can advice which is better??

panasonic lx3 seems so promising as a semipro cam :)
i own the S5 but judging from the photos posted by the wave of new LX3 buyers, im pretty sure thats the best semi pro as of now.

but if you are fixed on this 2, canon powershot S5 then! its made both in china and japan, just have to check prior to buying.
i dont see any distinct disadvantage had it been made in China.

do visit my Flickr to see what the S5 can potentially do. thats the only advice i have :)

Last edited:
HI,

I was in the same situation as you before.. here's the link..

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391909&highlight=JAYBAOKONG

Personally I prefer canon cos after all I have been a canon user for years.. but then decided to give the other brands a chance too.. so in the end, I have gone for Fuji S8100FD and loving every moment of it.

Well, the Canon S5 was competing with the Sony H7/H9. The H50 is already a step ahead... Canon should be coming out with the replacements already (SX10, SX1).

Status
Not open for further replies.