Sony GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
Anyone tried this Sony GPS on non-Sony cameras (compact or SLR).
Wondering if it would work with my cameras. My sis got this as a free gift when she bought her Sony camera.
Anyone used this? Any feedback?

It will work with any imager that captures date and time data in EXIF. The GPS unit will capture your position at regular intervals, and when you download the data into your PC, it will sync with the date/time info to give you your approximate location at that time.

It's fun to use, but nothing really useful beyond that.

Oh... have u used it before? Which cameras have u used it with?
So must you attach it to your camera? Or how? :dunno:

I have the unit. It was a gift-with-purchase. You just need to switch it on, and make sure that the antenna (located within the body) is not blocked from the sky. i.e. cannot work indoors. Hang it outside your backpack, on your belt-loop, etc.

I've used it with various cameras, even camera phones.

Ooh... sounds fun... thanks.
I thought that it only works with Sony cameras so I've yet to even take it out of the box!
Was a gift with purchase that my sister got too.

make sure your time and sate setting in your camera is relatively accurate.. and not off like by hours or days or months.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Ermm... u mean it must be accurate for the place I am in?
I have it set accurately to Singapore time but I'm planning to use this GPS thing when I travel.
So must change date and time ah?

Ermm... u mean it must be accurate for the place I am in?
I have it set accurately to Singapore time but I'm planning to use this GPS thing when I travel.
So must change date and time ah?

Yes. Set to local date and time. Because you will be receiving data from satellites overhead over your current location.

I've used the Sony GPS-CS1 and it's not stellar in the reception department as it uses the old SiRFStar 2 chipset.

You'll need open spaces for the unit to work perfectly. Imagine, that it's not able to get a GPS signal lock at Little India while I was taking photos during Thaipusam.

You'll need to synchonise your camera time and date with a GPS unit to get an accurate reading.

The Sony software geotag/embed the GPS coordinates to the photos by time stamp. You can adjust the time difference of a country through the Sony software.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtemujin/sets/72157601590395648/

HTH.

hey i have the gps unit aswell and havent really had the chance to test it out properly. i actually need a favour from any of the guys who have the software for it. i bought it last year in australia from ebay and it came with the software set up cd which i installed on my laptop, anyway in january i formatted my laptop because i am travelling around europe this year and when i left australia i took the gps unit with me to geotag all my photos, but i realised i left the software cd at home. i went to the sony website to see if i can download the software but they only have available an update which i cant use because the software isnt installed, so i was wondering if anyone would know how to get the software from any online website or any alternative software which works with this device or even better if someone wan winzip or winrar the set up files and then upload it to www.megaupload.com or something. it would be a great help and majorily appreciated. you can email me at exposedframe@gmail.com cheers guys.

You can use this below mentioned software to geotag your photos instead of using the Sony's GPS Image tracker.

http://www.nikonfans.org/index.php/gps4nef/

HTH.

hey i have the gps unit aswell and havent really had the chance to test it out properly. i actually need a favour from any of the guys who have the software for it. i bought it last year in australia from ebay and it came with the software set up cd which i installed on my laptop, anyway in january i formatted my laptop because i am travelling around europe this year and when i left australia i took the gps unit with me to geotag all my photos, but i realised i left the software cd at home. i went to the sony website to see if i can download the software but they only have available an update which i cant use because the software isnt installed, so i was wondering if anyone would know how to get the software from any online website or any alternative software which works with this device or even better if someone wan winzip or winrar the set up files and then upload it to www.megaupload.com or something. it would be a great help and majorily appreciated. you can email me at exposedframe@gmail.com cheers guys.

This software supports Nikon and Canon RAW files.

The supplied Sony software can only geotag JPG files.

It's fine if you're getting the Sony GPS-CS1 for free but if you're buying a GPS logger, there're many new models from other brands like the Holux M241 or the ATP GPS photofinder that uses more sensitive MTK or SiRFStar III chipset.

http://scilib.typepad.com/techreviews/2008/01/sony-announces.html

HTH.

I have used it on a canon camera. Instead of just keeping memories, it also tell you exactly where you took the picture. You can tag it on google earth.

If you need more information about how to tag it, google on geotagging

I have used it on a canon camera. Instead of just keeping memories, it also tell you exactly where you took the picture. You can tag it on google earth.

If you need more information about how to tag it, google on geotagging

Great to know... thanks for sharing the information. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.