Sony going to discontinue 50 F1.4?

Yeah, should be a general refresh and overhaul.

and the 300 f/2.8 has not been selling.

Rashkae said:
Yeah, should be a general refresh and overhaul.

and the 300 f/2.8 has not been selling.

Hopefully they add ssm instead of sam. Af motor should the key factor for this update so as to cater to video, probably to be launched with the A77.

Hopefully they add ssm instead of sam. Af motor should the key factor for this update so as to cater to video, probably to be launched with the A77.

Since the 1.4 is their higher-end model, I'd agree it should be SSM...

But we'll see. SAM is better than SSM for small, slower adjustments, which is better for video. But it's noisier.

Well, let's see. :)

Replace it with 50mm f1.2 CZ
hmmmmm
must be very expensive

jekjek said:
Replace it with 50mm f1.2 CZ
hmmmmm
must be very expensive

Dun think so. Then people will be stuck either with cheap but only crop 50/1.8 or the unreachable expensive ff cz50/1.2 and it will be useless for the affordable A850.

Dun think so. Then people will be stuck either with cheap but only crop 50/1.8 or the unreachable expensive ff cz50/1.2 and it will be useless for the affordable A850.

agree, actually the sal 50 is quite good(based on the comparison review on dpreview, which is slight better than Canon 50 F1.4 and Nikkor 50 F1.4 D in sharpness when wide open, distortion is the down side), except it doesn't come with ssm/sam.

I don't understand why sony can't just keep it and make another 50 F1.4 ssm just like Nikon have 2 version of 50 1.4(af-d and af-s).

agree, actually the sal 50 is quite good(based on the comparison review on dpreview, which is slight better than Canon 50 F1.4 and Nikkor 50 F1.4 D in sharpness when wide open, distortion is the down side), except it doesn't come with ssm/sam.

I don't understand why sony can't just keep it and make another 50 F1.4 ssm just like Nikon have 2 version of 50 1.4(af-d and af-s).

Maybe marketing strategies.
Making us hungry at 50mm for ff and we have no choice but to buy the new version and sure the cost will be higher than the current 50 1.4

Maybe sony trying to make something like Sigma 50 1.4?? :dunno:

Maybe marketing strategies.
Making us hungry at 50mm for ff and we have no choice but to buy the new version and sure the cost will be higher than the current 50 1.4

Maybe sony trying to make something like Sigma 50 1.4?? :dunno:

Nah. The market is already saturated with Minolta and Sony 50mm f/1.4 lenses. I think it's just a design overhaul.

/me wants a CZ version of the 50mm