Sony F828

Status
Not open for further replies.

yinkhoon

May 16, 2003
Visit site
Ok, the Sony F828 has carl zeiss lens 28-200 f2.0-2.8, 8 megapixel RGB+E 2/3 CCD, black body traditionalist camera look (big departure from the space-age silver 707/717 look), and it looks like there is another top deck info LCD, as well as manual zoom ring. That pretty much negates the main advantages of the Minolta 7/7i/7Hi/A1 series (28mm wide angle plus SLR-like handling). But still no T* coating... hmm.. I think I will still go for the Minolta A1 with Image Stablisation, even though I have no doubts the carl zeiss lens is faster, sharper and better.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=5837906

Too good to be true? If not, it might cost as much as a Canon 10D. :D

And if you think the Sony 717 battery was good... the translated contents say the new digital signal processor will reduce power consumption by 30%. Gulp, the damn battery just goes on and on!

I predict pricing of at least 2K+, if it's about 2.2, I foresee it won't be very hot because a DSLR body is available at that kind of cost. :)

But it is a pretty good spec camera, now is to see the image quality captured on the 8MP CCD. 5mp is about 1.5MB at Fine resolution, 8MP would be about 2MB? Shooting raw will take forever then.

Looks real good. :)

8mp is gonna chew through your memory stick in a flash. But at least it does support CF cards. More hidden costs there.

Looks like it's gonna cost a bomb. :hung:

espn said:
I predict pricing of at least 2K+, if it's about 2.2, I foresee it won't be very hot because a DSLR body is available at that kind of cost. :)

But it is a pretty good spec camera, now is to see the image quality captured on the 8MP CCD. 5mp is about 1.5MB at Fine resolution, 8MP would be about 2MB? Shooting raw will take forever then.

My guess would be about $1800. Yeah, a DSLR body can be had for about that, but a 28-200 f2.0-2.8 lens?

They're beginning to see that the memory stick is a big sales obstacle. That's good.

I'm tempted, but what I really need is a swivel camera the size of an IXUS, with 24-70mm f2.0 lens.

recommended retail price is US$1200

the street price of a 10D is US$1499 (or rather if you buy it from a camera store IN the US and not order online, can easily get it for US$1300).. and what's more.. probably by the time it's released, 10D would drop to around $1200 also..

conclusion ? might as well get 10D.. the lens is impressive, the 8mp is impressive, picture quality might also be impressive, but all in all, i don't see the justification of paying US$400 more or US$300 more even for all these stuff.. (the gain is really just around 10mm wide and 9mm tele.. don't talk about the 2x digital zoom coz it sux.. basically trying to get a focused shot with full digital zoom is very very difficult.. and the image review would actually show it SHARP but when you load it onto your comp.. be prepared for disappointment)

like whoever once said,

it's not really the equipment, it's the technique and the eye for detail.

but then again, if the 828 drops to a really reasonable price i don't see why i wouldn't replace my 717 with it. but the 717 is good enough.. just that its low light really sux.. maybe 828 better.. and the noise at iso400 alone is really unacceptable for the 717 already..[/

A down side will be its size and weight.
Too big and too heavy, close to that of a SLR already......

sequitur said:
but the 717 is good enough.. just that its low light really sux..[/

I'm surprised you made this statement..
Personally I feel it has one of the best low light focusing (if that's what you are talking about in the first place) among most prosumer digicams.

Prosumer will always have its market share and its draw for a certain category of consumer.

There are lots of people out there with money to buy expensive stuff but just don't need a DSLR nor a tiny cheap point and shoot camera. And these prosumer suits their status and budget.

Camera manufacturers have done their research. There is still a demand for this class of digicam, that's why 5700, 717 etc are still selling very well in Japan, Europe and US. :)

Fella said:
I'm surprised you made this statement..
Personally I feel it has one of the best low light focusing (if that's what you are talking about in the first place) among most prosumer digicams.

i'm not really talking about the focusing... the issue is small coz i can get 90% of my images to focus well in low light, so i'm happy.. the grouch is that anything other than iso100 looks noisy and grainy and that totally spoils the images that i intend it to be.

as opposed to results on a 10D, the 717 is really far away.

Sorry .... abit OT here. :D

The F939 will be 11MP when SONY release it! :eek: Notice they up 3MP with each major upgrade. SONY moves the game on ... fast!

Well I really liked the Night Framing mode of the F717, allows you to take a shot in totally darkness.

I am glad they rectified some of the "down sides" of the F717, like Memory Stick/Memory Stick PRO only storage, the lack of TTL flash, electronic zooming.

Optics wise, I will say SONY has always enjoyed a great advantage over other prosumer camera in this category with their tie-up with Carl Zeiss.

Although it does not have a Image Stabliser or Sensor Stabliser like in the Minolta A1.

It's f/2.0-2.8 aperature allows shooting in low light with a higher shutter speed, compared to A1's f/2.8-3.5, so Stablising is not really necessary.

I will prefer a 28-200mm f/2.0-2.8 (SONY F828) over 28-200mm f/2.8-3.5 IS (Minolta A1)

Status
Not open for further replies.