Sony F828 or Canon EOS 300D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
One is a prosumer and one a DSLR.
Know they are of diff class but still wanna get your views.

currently contemplating a new cam to take over my ancient canon g1.
but still cant get over the decision of wat to get...

guys can offer me some assistance? thanks

Well i am using the EOS300D now. Ok what i can say is that.
Are you prepared to spend more money after what you spent on the cam for more lenses, flash and other accessories?

If you have only a fixed budget and would not like to spend more then choose the F828.
If you could spend more on lenses then i'd definately recommend the 300D

However i personally have used the F828 before and you might want to take note the Purple Fringing is really bad in the shots. Well either i had very low tolerance on that or something but i simply couldn't take so much purple distortions in a picture ;)

You'll probably end up spending twice or more the amount of a F828 if you decide to go with the DSLR. Lenses, flash guns and more.

Why dont you hang in there and wait for the new cameras since PMA is just around the corner? The 828 isnt very good from what i know.

wait for a while more, Canon PowerShot Pro1 is coming.
read about it here

or Canon PowerShot S1 IS, see here

Agree with Twilo. Hang on to your cash until the dust settles. A lot of new stuff coming out. Prices of either camera (300D/828) may be driven down soon...

anyone knows how much the body of the 300D cost?
also any rrp for the new canon powershots?

if i get a 828, it will oni serve me good for a coupon of short yrs, but a dslr like the 300d can serve me for a long time cause of the range of lenses and other stuffs.
that's wat i am thinking...
dunno whether to get for the temp or for the long term

overcrash said:
anyone knows how much the body of the 300D cost?
also any rrp for the new canon powershots?

if i get a 828, it will oni serve me good for a coupon of short yrs, but a dslr like the 300d can serve me for a long time cause of the range of lenses and other stuffs.
that's wat i am thinking...
dunno whether to get for the temp or for the long term

If you serious abt photography, take 300D, if you just taking picture for fun, take sony

just IMHO

I haven't handled the 300D before, but have used the 828 before. Some comments on the 828

Good:

. Have got a zoom range that covers most range : 28 - 200
. Relatively fast lens : 2.0 - 2.8(I think.. might be lesser)
. Egronomically comfortable
. Rather fast Shutter response
. Has lotsa Metering modes
. Controls rather well placed
. "Zoom" operated by turning the lens barrel. (SLR type)
. Macro capability not bad
. DOF able to be rather shallow
. Dual storage format (CF, MS)
. Looks damn cool
. Has cool "operation sound". Sounds a bit like playing game :D

Bad:

. Purple fringing.
. Though egronomically comfortable, might be a little big for some hands
. Metering system quite inaccurate at times.
. Did i say very purple purple fringing? :p

Overall not bad. But after handling a SLR (EOS 300), a SLR camera feels more "solid".. Partially because of the "mirror slapping", though sometimes you really wish the mirror wouldn't slap so hard..

Well, i think that's my 10 cents worth :D

Go for the 300D kit. Your G1 uses the same BP511 batteries. If you decide to get a flash (say 420EX) you can use it for your G1 as well - the G1 can be a useful backup with the shared batteries.

The 18-55mm range is close to that of the F828. But at least you have the option of getting a telephoto lens down the road. Why go for 2 "prosumer" bodies? You can certainly expand your options with a DSLR.

If price is really a factor and you are really attracted to Sony. Go for a second hand F717. IMO, the F828 is not the camera to buy as there is much improvements needed (as if the flaws of this camera is not obvious enough!) - I got a feeling that there maybe a F838 or something like that coming up - just like how the F717 evolved from F505 and F707.

you can wait.. dslr and the digital stuff depreciate really quick.. within 2 years they're up for sale...

I using 300D, its a good start to use if you're serious about photography.

think i shld be getting the 300d. after much consideration.
thanks guys.
anyway anything to look out for when buying the 300d ? or using it?

I just feel that you guys are a little inconsiderate to the Sony cameras or it's users... it does not necessary correct to say that if you are seious about photography then u should consider using Canon 300D. I am sure you do know there are many flews in 300D right? Give the others a chance to choose. There are many people who are serious about photography are taking great photos too without Canon ....

tonythh said:
I using 300D, its a good start to use if you're serious about photography.
I just feel that you guys are a little inconsiderate to the Sony cameras or it's users... it does not necessary correct to say that if you are seious about photography then u should consider using Canon 300D. I am sure you do know there are many flaws in 300D right? Give the others a chance to choose. There are many people who are serious about photography are taking great photos too without Canon .... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.