Sony exits PC business

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Book a loss of US$1.08 billion, axe 5,000 jobs... and "pinpointed digital imaging, videogames and mobile as the core units that it hopes will lead a turnaround in its electronics business."

The "digital imaging" pie isn't exactly growing. Will they merge with say Nikon, you think?

Book a loss of US$1.08 billion, axe 5,000 jobs... and "pinpointed digital imaging, videogames and mobile as the core units that it hopes will lead a turnaround in its electronics business."

The "digital imaging" pie isn't exactly growing. Will they merge with say Nikon, you think?

Says who? Sony is a large imaging sensor maker, used by Nikon and other brands.
I think in the future demand will only grow (google glass, self driving car camera sensor, etc)

Im a fan of the Sony sensors and really like my Nex 6. But there's a chance that they may sell off their cameras division if things dont pick up..

Perhaps they *might* restructure to only manufacturing semiconductors...

Well honestly although their PC and laptop have nice LCD, they are waay overpriced.
Nobody can beat Apple in the premium game.. so no surprise I guess

Don't think so as merging with Canon is a better option with a great name like "Canony" or "Soncan". :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Well honestly although their PC and laptop have nice LCD, they are waay overpriced.

While I agree, I really like some of their laptops models (having two of them and nearly a 3rd and a 4th one). Even if they are overpriced, they have very nice designs, feel solid and to me, they do last long (my very first sony laptop is still in good condition and running well).

5000 jobs = very serious . not per head. 10 persons can be doing the same job. if they cut that job, 10 persons will be affected. so, do the maths, 5000 jobs. if a job need 2 persons, 10000 heads will be chopped.

Good riddance.
One of their notebook got design flaw which keep causing overheating and shutdown. To top it off, we bought it for the coy regional head.

Although it's definitely an over reaction from my side, since I didn't encounter it in any other models, our dept went through hell going back and forth to wisma atria with no light at the end of the tunnel while the unfortunate VIP keep firing at our bow.

This is not new.
Many years ago, Sony decided that they would cut the Mini Disc business. Just like that.

Something to keep in mind about Sony cameras. Though they may be good, Sony executives may one day decide camera is not their core business.

This is not new.
Many years ago, Sony decided that they would cut the Mini Disc business. Just like that.

Something to keep in mind about Sony cameras. Though they may be good, Sony executives may one day decide camera is not their core business.

It is quite scary..... for Sony Cameras....

Imagine I was one of those who buy into MD....

I just think that if they can just *chop* like this to the products, they can do it to others too...

This is the Other "Kill Switch" of Sony!

Last edited:
We are going to see Sony Sushi chain? :bsmilie:

Don't know. In the 1980s Sony wasted billions of dollars buying Hollywood studios even when Sony never understood the US movie industry.

Sony was once the king of TVs. But now the Korean companies have bitten into that slice of market.

Their mobile phones are up against iPhone, Samsung and LG, HTC, etc...

Before the rise of PRC, South Korea and Taiwan - Japan was market leader for many manufactured goods in the 1980s. Japan still has that edge in cars and cameras. But for how long we do not know.

Decades ago, Sony has the cutting edge, I have Sony Triniton TV and monitor, Sony mini compo, Sony handphone, their design and technology was so superior that they were reluctant to invest in newer trend such as LCD...and now they suffer...I think the main problem is the board of directors and top dogs.....they no longer have the fashion sense....Samsung is what they are previously..... :dunno:

How long does it takes Sony to realize that money is in Bak Kwa? :bsmilie:

Not only bak kwa. Even the MRT business :)