Sony DSC-W1 with extended warranty.


Status
Not open for further replies.

sinus123

New Member
Mar 21, 2004
113
0
0
North
#1
Hi All,

Was going to buy a compact digicam from one of the good and reputable shops (TK Photo, MS Color, Alan Photo, CP, Lords... etc) but came across this extended warranty thing from Best Denki and Harvey Norman.

Best price quoted to me for the Sony DSC-W1 was $660 with GST... versus $749 from Best and Harvey. Best's 4 years extended warranty cost around $29 (4% of product cost price) and Harvey's 4 years extended warranty cost $110. A check with 2 of the sales staff from both department shop reveals that the warranty covers labour and parts replacement.... Isn't this too good to be true...

Question now is should I get from one of the reputable shops or from Best/Harvey, whereby i can get the extended warranty.... which I find is good if I want to sell the digicam 2 years down the road.... and it still has 3 years warranty left....

All comments welcome.....

last but not least.... any votes on which should I get for a compact digicam.... Canon S500, Sony DSC-W1, Casio Z40, etc.....

Rgds
Sunny
 

coldman

New Member
May 12, 2004
315
0
0
43
my house
#2
sinus123 said:
Hi All,

Was going to buy a compact digicam from one of the good and reputable shops (TK Photo, MS Color, Alan Photo, CP, Lords... etc) but came across this extended warranty thing from Best Denki and Harvey Norman.

Best price quoted to me for the Sony DSC-W1 was $660 with GST... versus $749 from Best and Harvey. Best's 4 years extended warranty cost around $29 (4% of product cost price) and Harvey's 4 years extended warranty cost $110. A check with 2 of the sales staff from both department shop reveals that the warranty covers labour and parts replacement.... Isn't this too good to be true...

Question now is should I get from one of the reputable shops or from Best/Harvey, whereby i can get the extended warranty.... which I find is good if I want to sell the digicam 2 years down the road.... and it still has 3 years warranty left....

All comments welcome.....

last but not least.... any votes on which should I get for a compact digicam.... Canon S500, Sony DSC-W1, Casio Z40, etc.....

Rgds
Sunny
i though the warranty is from sony?
need to check with TK Photo, MS Color, Alan Photo, CP, Lords... etc :think:
 

sinus123

New Member
Mar 21, 2004
113
0
0
North
#3
Hi there,

Yap, the first year warranty will be by Sony itself.... after which, there will be no more warranty.... That's where the Best Denki and Harvey Norman extended warranty comes in hand.

After the first year warranty, you'll still have 4 more years warranty from Harvey or Best. They will send in the product for repair on our behalf and they will cover the labour and parts replacement charges. The first year, need to bring to Sony... subsequent years, to the shop where you bought the product from.

Good huh....

Better resale value.... :eek:

rgds
Sunny
 

Snowcrash

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,537
0
0
Western SG
Visit site
#4
in terms of digicam, IMHO warranty 4 or 5 years don't affect the resale price as much as the quality of the camera. The technology move so fast.
eg, do you want to buy a canon a20 still with warranty? yes? at what price?


If you think of selling, don't pay $100++ for extended warranty.

If you think of using it till natural death... extended warranty is good.
 

smappu

New Member
Aug 4, 2004
1
0
0
#5
hi! i'm thinking of getting a digital cam too and was attracted by Sony's W1 due to the big screen size. $660 is rather cheap. where did you get the quote from? Any more cheaper finds? Btw, does it come with instalment plans or cash & carry? Standard package of bag, 128mb card & strap? hmmn....any other camera models that anyone would like to recommend before i make my purchase? apologies for having so many questions.
 

sinus123

New Member
Mar 21, 2004
113
0
0
North
#6
smappu said:
hi! i'm thinking of getting a digital cam too and was attracted by Sony's W1 due to the big screen size. $660 is rather cheap. where did you get the quote from? Any more cheaper finds? Btw, does it come with instalment plans or cash & carry? Standard package of bag, 128mb card & strap? hmmn....any other camera models that anyone would like to recommend before i make my purchase? apologies for having so many questions.
Hiyee,

Yap, the screen size for the W1 is very ;p to look at... but be very careful, must buy screen protector to prevent from scratch and crack. Quote I get is from Lords (Lucky Plaza), maybe you can go to TKPhoto or MSColor too... price wise should be competitive....

Anyway, Sony's promotion is till 15 Aug, whereby you can get the bag and the 128mb memory stick. Instalments can only get from MSColor, with the major credit cards, but the price will be slightly higher.Others should be Harvey and Best Denki....

Other camera to recommend would be Canon S500 or S430.... or Canon A80, but slightly bigger in size, due to AA batteries. Or maybe Casio Z40 or the QV51.

Dunno how the next Comex show is offering... maybe wait???

Rgds
Sunny
 

#7
smappu said:
hi! i'm thinking of getting a digital cam too and was attracted by Sony's W1 due to the big screen size. $660 is rather cheap. where did you get the quote from? Any more cheaper finds? Btw, does it come with instalment plans or cash & carry? Standard package of bag, 128mb card & strap? hmmn....any other camera models that anyone would like to recommend before i make my purchase? apologies for having so many questions.
hm W1 is good camera but there is one big problem i dun like about it is it uses memory stick which is very expensive (for a 4Megapixel you will normally need to get 256MB and above memory card)
do check out those memory card price and accessories before you buy digital camera
 

holeinone

New Member
Jan 27, 2004
1,356
0
0
Tampines
#8
A Lexar 256 MS Pro from Eastgear will set you back about $125 as compared to a CF card of similar capacity at about $70. So essentially you pay $50 more BUT for the W1, you will be getting superb movie quality at 30fps,which none of the other brands offer.

Ultimately, it's really up to your preference as there are so many factors to consider and no one digicam is perfect so to speak. :think:
 

Feb 12, 2004
101
0
16
#10
i think he meant to emphasise that the 640 x 480 @ 30FPS movie taken by the sony w1 is in .mpg format, and you can take a movie continuosly without interruption until memory stick is full, compared to the 30s limit in some other cameras. :thumbsup:
 

sinus123

New Member
Mar 21, 2004
113
0
0
North
#11
Hiyee,

What I'm looking for is a compact gigicam and it seems like the W1 fits my purpose, compact and the 30fps movie and the 2.5" LCD all seems GOOD...

Any other compacts???

Rgds
Sunny
 

sinus123

New Member
Mar 21, 2004
113
0
0
North
#14
Hiyee,

Yap, that's what I thought so too.... Will keep a lookout for others too. My company having promo for the HP R707, 320x240, 30fps, unlimited... $500... dunno leh... HP resale value might be a no go.....

Thanks.

Rgds
Sunny
 

Feb 12, 2004
101
0
16
#15
holeinone said:
Ultimately, it's really up to your preference as there are so many factors to consider and no one digicam is perfect so to speak. :think:
hi sunny, i totally agree with the above statement by holeinone. you'll need to know what are the factors most important to you before you decide. there are so many different compact cameras around. my vote goes to w1 too, but my opinion may not be accurate because for compact digital cameras, i have only dealt with canon and sony.
 

sinus123

New Member
Mar 21, 2004
113
0
0
North
#16
Hi bro,

Thanks for the advice.... Most like the W1 would be my choice.... But there's a few ways for me to buy the cam:-

1) Buy from Lords now ($660w/GST) and claim the free gifts (128mb stick and bag) from Sony till 15 Aug.

2) Buy from Best Denki ($749w/GST and add $29 for 4 years add on warranty), cover repairs, labour and parts replacement. Altogether 5 years warranty.

3) Wait till Comex end of month to see what's on offer. Dunno offer still on.

Any advices????

Rgds
Sunny
 

Feb 12, 2004
101
0
16
#17
i think prices and deals only become better through time. the current price (singapore wide) of w1 actually corresponds to the start of the sony mid year sale, which was quite some time ago. imho, i guess that the deal at comex should be quite good, and hopefully Lords or MS Color will match the deal at comex. it depends on whether you are willing to wait. just make sure you dun buy between 15 aug and 23 aug(start of comex)! ;)

as for extended warranty, this question has just been discussed among spuggers (palm pda). no one has experience with extended warranty leh :dunno: ?? but i think what snowcrash said is excellent advice.

btw, have people tried transfering the extended warranty to the second hand buyer? any problems on that?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom