Sony DSC-W1 , Black or Silver ? or Canon A95

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKF

Apr 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting this camera after reading reviews.

Right now, I am looking at Sony DSC-W1 or Canon A95.

Which one is better in terms of picture quality?

Both have manual functions thou canon have more, will the Sony manual functions enough for most of the occasions?

What's the difference between the black and silver Sony W1? Other than color, are there any differences in specs?

Specifications are impt but I understand the feel of it is impt too....

So experts out there, please advice on which to get, Sony W1 or Canon A95?

Please advice!

Thanks and Regards,
GKF

hi,

dun know about A95, but i have just bought the SOny DSC-W1.....
very satisfied with the camera..... you not only get the 32mb memory stick in the standard package, you also can get a free 256 memory stick pro..... also, it is only going at $560 with GST in..... a very good value for money in my opinion...

Hi erictan8888,

Can you describe how good is W1 and which shop did u buy?

Thanks

i wouldn't say how good or what.... just that myself being a newbie quite comfortable with all the locations of the buttons and the shots that came out of the camera....

the experts might think otherwise, but i ok with the camera, given that it is quite value for money in my opinion....
the package gives you the camera, a 32mb memory stick, a charger, 2 AA rechargable batteries, and a FREE 256mb memory stick pro.

you have to buy a camera bag yourself, i got a generic one at $12....
i bought the camera at Song bros at $560 with GST in.....

the camera allows you to do shutter speed manual settings and aperture size settings... not many settings you can do, but is one of the few 5mp DC that allows you to do manual settings...

ultimately which camera you decide got to depend on your feel also lo...
in terms of image quality, i dun really know how to see la... let the experts comment...
just 2 pics for you to see lo....
a close up and a scenery pic and a beautiful lady pic....

flower2.jpg

pierce1.jpg

4_1.jpg

well, A95 also is a 5MP DC with manual settings. i got mine less than a week ago at mscolor for $595. nice, good handling (for my hand) ... not bad after all. it all depends on u, which brand u like or the size or function. i don't know about the Sony DSC-W1 but in my own opinion, i would rather choose a Canon DC rather than a Sony DC. =) ;p

Hi erictan8888, thanks for the reply. :)

Hi aspire,

So far I heard that W1 has very fast focus and not much lag between photo taking .... and it perform well in low light.

I had a Canon A40 and Fuji S602Z before,
A40 focus slowly and cannot focus in low light
while S602Z focus at a very fast speed but it too cannot focus in low light and it's too big ... :rolleyes:

Right now I am looking at something small with good focus speed, can focus in low light and have picture quality that matches Canon or Fuji.

So far I've got 2 choices which is W1 and A95 after reading many reviews. The only thing left is testing of the cameras.

I'm not sure how these 2 compare and whether there are any other brands/models which is good too at around $600......

Please advice!

Regards,

i have no idea about sony camera, but maybe u can get one expert in camera guy to go try out the camera with you(anyone here can help him out?).

John 3:16 (in funan) maybe the good place for u to try the cameras without buying (they have good service(heard from my friends)). =)

I have a W1 too but i never quite produce what erictan8888 produced cos i'm a lousy photographer. :) But the cam is quite good only cos i've bought the black version and the black screws changes colour after a month. Other than this, its quite a camera and at $500+++ its a steal. Dunno much bout the A95. Its rated as one of the best in the 5MP class but its size puts me off, plus it uses 4 batts at a time. Heavy! Looks, definately the Sony wins but the A95 produces good quality pics. :thumbsup: Both has its pluses and minuses.

BTW the silver and black W1 is the same.

afbug said:
I have a W1 too but i never quite produce what erictan8888 produced cos i'm a lousy photographer.

dun like that say :embrass:

i also newbie.... learning from everyone....

look where are we now? we are in Newbies Corner haha... A95 sure is abit heavier than normal consumer camera (4 batts) but AA batts are every where insight and cheap, u won't get the chance to say " AIYA NO BATT LIAO" haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.