Sony DSC-V1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Had a go with this camera with darkness (my friend) two days ago, and I'd like to recommend this baby. The AF is impressively fast, comparable to a SLR with a non-USM lens. Focus was locked before I even realised. With its wealth of functions and good specs it is a serious contender to cameras like G5 and CP5400. The body is more compact than the other two as well.

Retail at $1199, selling at $1040 at AP. A good price for a high-performance camera.

oh ya, things I didn't like. Zooming is relatively slow. And LCD screen is over-cluttered with information.

Originally posted by Tweek
And LCD screen is over-cluttered with information.

Can't you just switch off the info on the LCD? I believe many digicams allow you to do that.

Too bad is using the stupid Sony proprietary memory stick which is expensive. Will consider if it uses CF.

Originally posted by KingKongChar
Can't you just switch off the info on the LCD? I believe many digicams allow you to do that.

yes you can. But what i meant was "over-clutter". I'd prefer only some critical info to be displayed instead. What the camera does is either all on or all off only.

Originally posted by Tweek
yes you can. But what i meant was "over-clutter". I'd prefer only some critical info to be displayed instead. What the camera does is either all on or all off only.

I see. I can set my Canon cam to show certain info. on the LCD.

oh that can be done? Maybe the V1 can too. My ignorance tells me that with most cameras, the on-screen info is either all-on or all-off. That's what I experienced with my past cameras too.

Yes. Agreed that this is a fantastic carry-around digicam with all the useful manual features. Only downside is the proprietary memory stick and the Sony flash connection.

Originally posted by HOCL
Yes. Agreed that this is a fantastic carry-around digicam with all the useful manual features. Only downside is the proprietary memory stick and the Sony flash connection.

U can still use 3rd party flashes with standard hotshoe. Memory stick wise, $80 for 128MB still isn't too bad. You don't buy memory sticks everyday do you?

i plan to buy this previously, but the low batt performance and cost of memory stick put me off :(

Originally posted by f55user
U can still use 3rd party flashes with standard hotshoe.

Yes, but no TTL. So no improvement for me since my S602 also has standard hotshoe, right?

Originally posted by f55user
Memory stick wise, $80 for 128MB still isn't too bad. You don't buy memory sticks everyday do you?

Yes, but how many shots can I get in a 128 MB MS? Moreover, I can't use my existing CF cards. BTW, $100 can get a 256MB CF, ok?

BTW, I am just expressing my views based on my presonal requirements. I am keen to have a compact prosumer digicam but these are the two points about V1 that I can't convince myself to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.