Sony DSC-H1 or Canon S2 IS?


Status
Not open for further replies.

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#1
Hihi,

newbie here. i'm currently considering getting a prosumer camera. stuck between the above mentioned 2 cameras. any experts can give advice???

i've read quite some reviews and comments but till date, i still can't make up my mind. :dunno: i like sony's 2 rechargable batteries, compared to canon's 4 batteries :nono: . but sony's memory stick is putting me off...then again, im not a professional photographer who needs huge memory at all times. i'll most probably get an extra 512mb tat's all, cuz i won't need more than that(another reason being, im a poor gal). canon's non-auto-popup flash is kinda funny. :bsmilie: but sony's len is not the usual carls zeiss(but does tat matter?? i duno! it's seems like a big deal to have leica or carls :sticktong )

ahhhhh zhe me ban????

pls dun use too chim terms, i wont be able to understand :bsmilie:
 

#3
JuzJaz said:
Hihi,

newbie here. i'm currently considering getting a prosumer camera. stuck between the above mentioned 2 cameras. any experts can give advice???

i've read quite some reviews and comments but till date, i still can't make up my mind. :dunno: i like sony's 2 rechargable batteries, compared to canon's 4 batteries :nono: . but sony's memory stick is putting me off...then again, im not a professional photographer who needs huge memory at all times. i'll most probably get an extra 512mb tat's all, cuz i won't need more than that(another reason being, im a poor gal). canon's non-auto-popup flash is kinda funny. :bsmilie: but sony's len is not the usual carls zeiss(but does tat matter?? i duno! it's seems like a big deal to have leica or carls :sticktong )

ahhhhh zhe me ban????

pls dun use too chim terms, i wont be able to understand :bsmilie:

Hi Juzjaz,

First of all ... a warm welcome to ClubSnap!

I personally have the Canon S2 IS .... and I find it really great as an "all-round" camera.
The following are some of the features of the S2 (especially the video) which make me choose it from the other ultra zoom models like the Sony, Panasonic FZ5/20, KM Z5.

Great Stills
Great Video : VGA, 30fps, stereo sound and best of all, ability to zoom during video recording.
AA Battery

Check out this link for a review of the S2
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

Check out my links below for my humble pixs pixs taken by the S2.

Good luck!
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#4
Sony DSC-H1 or
Canon S2 IS or
Fuji S9500 or
Panasonic FZ30 or
KM Z5

do factor in
. spare batt
. filter 4 protecting d lense (i oni kno u can fix filter directly on Panasonic other brand buy seperate)
. spare memory card
. mini tripod (gd 1s abt $80)

filters r v cost effective in protecting ur pricey purchase from scratches. also saves u d hassle of sending ur cam 2 d service centre 2 replace a defaced & costly front element. i somehow feel items sent 4 servicing will nv work like it should...
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#5
2 my knowledge oni FZ30 can directly screw on filter. S2 IS & KM Z5 needs filter adaptor, dunno abt Fuji S9500 & Sony DSC-H1.

does filter adaptor come packaged or hav 2 buy seperately?
 

tltan

Senior Member
Apr 18, 2005
2,484
0
0
www.flickr.com
#7
My friend has the S2 IS. Its a solid camera with lots of options. Also, love the zero cm macro mode....imagine that. But, dont know about the rest of the camera though. Whichever you choose, hope you enjoy the purchase and shoot more!:thumbsup:

Cheers,
tltan
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#8
catseye said:
Hi sORe-EyEz,

Canon S2 Lens Adapter and Hood $50 at MS Color.
that means owner will hav 2 pay 4 such extras & d cam will look my obiang w/ w/ them on. thatz where FZ30 is a step ahead of d rest. my opinion...
 

unseen

Senior Member
Dec 14, 2004
2,622
0
0
NTU and Wdls
#9
Consider a FZ5?
it's been rated as quite a fair be more better than the S2 and the H1 but the new york times if i'm not wrong.
 

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#10
fz5, nver really tot abt it...will see see later.

thanks all for the comments...really really appreciated!!!

somehow i feel nobody's really tat serious about prosumer cameras...all so addicted to DSLR/SLR. kinda hard to find really good comments/advices. if u talk about SLR/DSLR, wah all the users will pour in their good n bads... :p

sorry if i offend any in any ways..juz letting out my thoughts...
 

Feb 22, 2005
817
0
0
north
#11
these 2 camera excel in differenlt areas so its really wats the weightage on every feature.
However since you are a newbie, i recommand you get the sony H1. Although I dun know much about cannon s1 but i use sony camera.
the following are something that i feel make it stands out.

Long shutter speed(30secs) and low noise night shots. High speed low light focusing. Also the LCD lights up momentery for you to compose your shot. This feature of gaining up may not be well excuted in some cameras like (minolta Z3 which I used before) it takes a long time focusing at night.

2.5" LCD - A big screen is really good. it makes shooting that much more fun. I have used 1.8"-2.5". And the big screen is a big differenlt even between 2" to 2.5".

AA batt - easily avaliable and H1 rated quite good in its number of shots.

Ease of use - A well organise menu thats user friendly just like nokia. Every brand has its own menu but I find Sony one to be easier to access(with jog dial) and make changes to aperature and shutter easy.

On the acurate screen exposure preview including flash - I find sony preview on it LCD to be better than others (FZ20 which I used before), maybe its becos of the size of the lcd but you can get result closer to what you wanted if its shown on the preview acurately.

Heard H1 in-bulit flash is powerful.

Oh one more thing Image stablizer is important.

If you are looking for a camera thats all rounder and really easy to use get H1. However if image quality is high on your list consider others. Ask yourself wat is the quality you can accept. If you are going to do 4R all the time image quality is not really a big difference between all models at that size.
Erm all these are just something I personally felt no ofference to anyone who felt otherwise.
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#12
FZ30 is my fav pro-sumer cam.

pros:
. manual zoom & focus rings
. 12Xzoom range
. front & rear dials (4 aperture & shutter speed adjustments)
. uses lithium-ion batt
. mega OIS
. lense thread on barrel (no need $$ for adaptor)
. flip out LCD
. neat layout of buttonz = great handling
. free lense hood
. 640x480-pixel, 30fps movie mode (at around 1.3 MB/sec)

cons:
. big in size
. not constant f2.8 aperture
. focus is slow at telephoto end
 

Hoky

New Member
Mar 17, 2004
1,182
0
0
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
#13
unseen said:
Consider a FZ5?
it's been rated as quite a fair be more better than the S2 and the H1 but the new york times if i'm not wrong.
Nah, the FZ5 is not even sharp.
For that price, the Sony H-1 is way much better
 

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#14
flowerpot99 said:
these 2 camera excel in differenlt areas so its really wats the weightage on every feature.
However since you are a newbie, i recommand you get the sony H1. Although I dun know much about cannon s1 but i use sony camera.
the following are something that i feel make it stands out.

Long shutter speed(30secs) and low noise night shots. High speed low light focusing. Also the LCD lights up momentery for you to compose your shot. This feature of gaining up may not be well excuted in some cameras like (minolta Z3 which I used before) it takes a long time focusing at night.

2.5" LCD - A big screen is really good. it makes shooting that much more fun. I have used 1.8"-2.5". And the big screen is a big differenlt even between 2" to 2.5".

AA batt - easily avaliable and H1 rated quite good in its number of shots.

Ease of use - A well organise menu thats user friendly just like nokia. Every brand has its own menu but I find Sony one to be easier to access(with jog dial) and make changes to aperature and shutter easy.

On the acurate screen exposure preview including flash - I find sony preview on it LCD to be better than others (FZ20 which I used before), maybe its becos of the size of the lcd but you can get result closer to what you wanted if its shown on the preview acurately.

Heard H1 in-bulit flash is powerful.

Oh one more thing Image stablizer is important.

If you are looking for a camera thats all rounder and really easy to use get H1. However if image quality is high on your list consider others. Ask yourself wat is the quality you can accept. If you are going to do 4R all the time image quality is not really a big difference between all models at that size.
Erm all these are just something I personally felt no ofference to anyone who felt otherwise.
haha..do u own a H1 then? i'm actually not tat particular about DETAILS as i dun print A4 size all the time!!! in fact, never! :sweat: juz wanna have a good shot n enjoy. im particularly attracted to 2 AA batteries & big LCD screen of H1. :bsmilie: plus im not a SLR/DSLR user, i duno all those terms. juz like to have a prosumer camera to play wif..the functions n stuffs. try outs.. doubt i'll go tat in depth, as i dun have a stable income. so while i've A BIT of money now, better buy, else i'll never get anything ;p
 

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#15
sORe-EyEz said:
FZ30 is my fav pro-sumer cam.

pros:
. manual zoom & focus rings
. 12Xzoom range
. front & rear dials (4 aperture & shutter speed adjustments)
. uses lithium-ion batt
. mega OIS
. lense thread on barrel (no need $$ for adaptor)
. flip out LCD
. neat layout of buttonz = great handling
. free lense hood
. 640x480-pixel, 30fps movie mode (at around 1.3 MB/sec)

cons:
. big in size
. not constant f2.8 aperture
. focus is slow at telephoto end
it's bigger than H1 & S2 isizt?? i read about the noise issues of this camera :bsmilie:
 

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#16

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#17
JuzJaz said:
it's bigger than H1 & S2 isizt?? i read about the noise issues of this camera :bsmilie:
yes it is. but H1 & S2 lenses do protrude out wen switched on. FZ30 lense does not, so start-up time is faster.

its d whole package that counts. there were noise isssues on FZ20 oso. but it still is a v gd cam at that time. my sis got it & up till now still thinks its a great cam.

for beginners (according 2 my sis) FZ20,
. it has an easy & straight4ward menu
. it enable her 2 get great pics even at night handheld (at wider end of zoom)

well, if u ask me. i also can nitpick on flaws or imperfection of any cam. even list them out 4 u! hahaa...:bsmilie:

H1 is 591g (w/ batt)
S2 is 405g (w/o batt)
FZ30 is 740g (w/ batt)

dun 1 2 start flaming other ppl's preferance. wads urs so far?
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#18
jus 2 point out (again), oni FZ30 enables u 2 put a UV filter directly 2 protect ur cam lense from scratches. aka potentially costly 2 repair & a hassle waiting till its fixed.

dun need 2 buy filter adaptor which adds 2 d cost & size of d cam.
 

Feb 22, 2005
817
0
0
north
#19
JuzJaz said:
haha..do u own a H1 then? i'm actually not tat particular about DETAILS as i dun print A4 size all the time!!! in fact, never! :sweat: juz wanna have a good shot n enjoy. im particularly attracted to 2 AA batteries & big LCD screen of H1. :bsmilie: plus im not a SLR/DSLR user, i duno all those terms. juz like to have a prosumer camera to play wif..the functions n stuffs. try outs.. doubt i'll go tat in depth, as i dun have a stable income. so while i've A BIT of money now, better buy, else i'll never get anything ;p
Well I dun own a H1 but I own a W1. Guess if I'm happy with the quality from it I dun see why a higher range will not be able to do better. Of course W1 has better lens but I think its not far off. Can see sony forum on the quality of the pic taken by some of the members. From wat you have mention you just want ease of use and have fun. Then I guess Sony is the one for you. Even if other camera offer more mamual function and features(which some user requires) its really no use if its hard to use and not user friendly :) Good luck on your purchase. Anyway if you regret the purchase just sell it at the buy and sell section before the warrenty is up. haha who knows maybe I will be the one buying from you.
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#20
take ur time lah, sell 2nd hand & loose $$ along d way? den mite as well buy blindly. dun need 2 post 4 advise...:confused:

thumbs up for a discerning buyer!:thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom