Sony DSC-717

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluestrike

Jan 17, 2002
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
0:00 EST: Sony has today announced the DSC-F717, an update to the popular DSC-F707. The DSC-F717 utilizes the same body design, five megapixel sensor and excellent five times optical zoom lens. New features include zoom via the lens ring, hot shoe, record and play histogram, ISO 800, Full Auto exposure, USB 2.0 and more. Thanks to leaks in the far east this camera is no surprise to many on the Sony Talk Forum. We have a detailed preview of the new DSC-F717, the only thing we can't bring you at this pre-production stage are image samples. A full review will follow soon.

more can be found here

Originally posted by Phil Askey
What's missing?
While I welcome quite a few of the additions here, especially 5-area AF and histogram displays I'm also disappointed that Sony didn't use this new camera as an opportunity to catch up to some of the competition in regards to basic imaging features.

The DSC-F717 still offers no control over colour saturation or tone (contrast / brightness). Program AE and Aperture priority are still crippled with a minimum 1/30 sec shutter speed. There's also no concept of user sets / settings memories, no flexible program exposure, no white balance bracketing, limited continuous shooting ability and no way to disable noise reduction. While I'm sure the F717 will continue the F707's reputation for excellent image quality we must wonder how a lack of features will affect the F717 when compared to some of the competition.

Quote from imaging-resource
[F707 users found that it tended to oversaturate bright reds and greens. - This tendency was much less pronounced with less intense colors, but the camera did get a little carried away with bright hues in those parts of the spectrum. The prototype F717 seemed to have completely corrected that tendency, as it produced beautiful, accurate color in virtually every circumstance.
[/B]

No more Disney Colour :gbounce:

Being a proud owner of a 707... the 5 point AF points and the hot-shoe itself are very good reasons to get the 717..

Originally posted by willyfoo
Being a proud owner of a 707... the 5 point AF points and the hot-shoe itself are very good reasons to get the 717..

yeah...but i dun think those reason are good enough for existing 707 owner to upgrade to 717

I wish digital cameras are just like computers...easily upgradable...bleah

The camera is also super fast for autofocus and shutter lag! check out Imaging Resource's review!

So, its here.

Good luck to the guy trying to sell it, hope he gets rid of it before the news papers gets it. :)

I'm still sticking to my trusty 707...I don't find it worth my while to fork out another $1500+ for another camera that's only marginally better than mine.

Wah lauuuuuu! :eek:

First bought F505V, a year later... bought the F707 (no regret)... and now the F717! Sabo ar! :cry:

Somehow, I don't quite understand why many don't like the "overzealous rendering of certain shades of red or green". Doesn't it look good?

Btw, conflicting information given in imaging resource and dpreview. Dpreview says 32MB mem stick included, i-r says 16.

The new sony looks to be a winner. The blazing shooting speeds and recycling times, coupled with its f2-2.4 lens and the new iso800 mode should allow one to capture high speed scenes with ease.

Adding the hotshoe and curing the overblown colours is icing on the cake.:)

Originally posted by Zerstorer
The new sony looks to be a winner. The blazing shooting speeds and recycling times, coupled with its f2-2.4 lens and the new iso800 mode should allow one to capture high speed scenes with ease.

Adding the hotshoe and curing the overblown colours is icing on the cake.:)

Brother! Enough of temptation already.... :p

actually its not a huge difference between the two models, might as well save for a rainy day, the economy is uncertain.

Originally posted by Zoomer
Somehow, I don't quite understand why many don't like the "overzealous rendering of certain shades of red or green". Doesn't it look good?

Nope. Not necessary so. In certain cases the overzealous rendering blows out all detail.

5 selectable AF points sounds good but I tink my present F707 serves me well... no point upgrading unless its the features you r after =)

I thought the rule of thumb was to upgrade every 2 gens? like PCs...

Status
Not open for further replies.