Sony DRU-830A or LG GSA-H42N DVD writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Want to upgrade from my s..l...o...w...... DVD writer.

What is performance of these two ? Think both are 8x DVD RW write speed.

The Sony a bit more ex but not much.

Both are affordable.

Is one of the two vastly superior to the other?

Any owners who have tried?

Ther are now LightScribe DVD writers but I do not think it is a MUST have feature for me. Also too ex to use lightscribe capable DVD-R and CD-R. May be stupid to lightscribe a DVD-RW.

Want to upgrade from my s..l...o...w...... DVD writer.

What is performance of these two ? Think both are 8x DVD RW write speed.

The Sony a bit more ex but not much.

Both are affordable.

Is one of the two vastly superior to the other?

Any owners who have tried?

Ther are now LightScribe DVD writers but I do not think it is a MUST have feature for me. Also too ex to use lightscribe capable DVD-R and CD-R. May be stupid to lightscribe a DVD-RW.

Lightscribe is not permanent. It will over time fade slightly or quite abit depending on the brand of disc you buy. Also, what I read last time is this, disc writers with lightscribe capability tend to wear down the drive's reliable life span 3 times as faster. And it is super slow to print on the surface too left alone record your data. So it is good that lightscribe is not part of your requirement.

I am using a slightly older version of the Sony DVD writers, DRU-810A ( looks very similar to the 830A) found it to be reliable and trouble free. The speed of recording is pretty good but then again alot too has to do with what other hardware makes up your PC. I decided on the DRU-810A and it was down to that or against another DVD writer from BenQ. These two has the best reviews in its day last year. In the end, I choose the Sony because it has an interchangeable front face. One was in black and then other in silver. So I was able to match the colour to my PC's front portion. The technology is pretty stable by this time anyway. You can't hardly go wrong with any of the more established brands. If I have the cash to spend, I would get Plextor...it is costly but performance and reliability...it is par none.

I'm using an even older internal Sony DVD-writer DRU-720A. Have been using it for almost a year with no problems at all.

Oh, I forgot to say that I am using a very old LG DVD writer now that can write at 1x or 2x speed only.

That is why I am think to change to either if the two DVD writers I mentioned earlier.

Oh, I forgot to say that I am using a very old LG DVD writer now that can write at 1x or 2x speed only.

That is why I am think to change to either if the two DVD writers I mentioned earlier.

oh...then you will really really love it if get one of these new DVD writers and see how fast it can write data! hehe...

But I would advise that if you are writing all your precious photos you shoot. Follow the same rules as with CDRs. Try to record at a slower speed. It makes it alot more reliable on the long term use and for good error free reads on your DVD writer and especially other DVD players or writers.

I dunno about the Sony but the LG GSA-H42N sure is a fast drive.

Been using it for a month, burnt lots of DVDs and CDs. No problem and very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.