Sony cameras isn't bad with colors... its just has....

JacePhoto

Oct 1, 2007
New York City
www.flickr.com
...bad white balance or color temperature.

Sony cameras excel in many areas, Slow mo, face detection AF, build in NDs (for some) but it isnt a choice of many film makers because it doesnt have Fuji X series colors or Canon Color Science.

After fiddling with it for years, I come to realise that Sony just have bad science when it comes to color temperature. If you take the trouble to tweak the white manually,you can get colors close to Canon or Fuji.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know in what context you've been using that makes sony camera produce 'bad' colors. Will be great if you can clarify further?

I used to edit, color grade and master broadcast programs shot with sony. From the generation of BetaSP, Digital Betacam, to HDCAM on tape formats, moving on to XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD422, and currently XAVC systems. From the likes of PMW to PXW series, from FS5, FS7, and the cine grade F5, most of the colors coming out of their cameras for broadcast specs REC709 YUV color space are quite spot on if shot well and color balanced. Gamma and black levels are tuned well for broadcast TV work, skin tones looked good, and i never encountered any particular bleeding of colors that makes the footage go out of broadcast specifications.

If white balance is off, it's an operator issue.
If footage was shot in raw or S-log, then the color issues typically lies with the colorist's skills, not the cameras i guess. :)

Just my two cents. I don't work for sony or endorse them btw.... :D