Sony Alpha A550 vs A330

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaipium

Feb 3, 2002
Braddell
Visit site
Thinking of getting a Sony Alpha.

Anybody like to discuss about whether it is worth the additional S$400 for the A550 compare to the A330?

I'd choose the A330 and used the money saved on other stuff like maybe a flash or perhaps an extra lens. That's just me though, ultimately it's your money and it's up to you to decide.

Yes its worth it if u need to use the high iso of a550 and i find that the grip of a550 is better ... the battery for a550 is more lasting than a330...

Absolutely (for me). The image quality of the A550 is noticeably better than the A330, the screen is awesome, longer battery life, faster FPS, auto-HDR, face detect, bigger grip, etc.

But depends on you, really. Some find the A330 grip more comfy than the A550 one.

I feel its dependant on whether u wan better high iso performance or not. If u think u will be using high iso often, get the a550 or a500.

would it make any difference if I am a typical "auto" mode user?

I actually have the Nikon D70 for some years now and am thinking to change to something less bulky/heavy. WIll definitely be getting the 18250 lens to replace my existing nikon 18200.

u got D70, with the budget you have for A550, my as well get a D90? if not you end up selling lens. If you want small get A330. I got A330 leh, but i like A550 for the ISO performance! why don you buy my A330, i go buy A550!

would it make any difference if I am a typical "auto" mode user?

I actually have the Nikon D70 for some years now and am thinking to change to something less bulky/heavy. WIll definitely be getting the 18250 lens to replace my existing nikon 18200.

Yeah it will... Even in Auto mode, there's a noticeable difference. And the face detect/smile shutter/auto-hdr are fun features.

Yeah it will... Even in Auto mode, there's a noticeable difference. And the face detect/smile shutter/auto-hdr are fun features.

okay thanks...... will definitley consider the A550 next to the A330 and see how it goes.....

Here's the diff:

Sensor:
a550 - Exmor CMOS, 14.2mp
a500 - Exmor CMOS, 12.4mp
a380 - CCD, 14.2mp
a330 - CCD, 10.1mp

Grip:
a5xx - manly grip
a3xx - ladies' grip (no offence to the guys who bought it..all bery manly k ;p )

Max Shooting speed:
a550 - 7fps
a500 - 5fps
a3xx - 2.5fps

LCD (tilt measured from upright position |/ ):
a550 - 3" 921,600 pixel, 90degree tilt
a500 - 3" 230,400pixel, 90degree tilt
a3xx - 2.7" 230,400pixel, 65degree tilt

Battery Charge:
a5xx - 1600mAh - srp $110
a3xx - 900mAh - srp $129 (using the small Handycam battery)

Those above, + other features like MF check live view (bery kool), higher ISO will be the main difference.

The general consensus is that becasue a5xx has a better sensor, the overall result is better as well (noise control, colour, etc etc)

If budget is an issue, just stick to A330.

If can up a bit, prefer larger grip with a better sensor, get a550.

If you like a5xx, don't need 14.2mp and dun need a LCD that makes you drool, save the $100 and get the a500.

Hopefully this super-compressed-yet-detailed comparism is useful :sweatsm:

Last edited:
Go for the A550 if your budget allows. It is better to have a camera with more features. Those features will come in handy when you need it, especially so for high ISO. :D

get A550 .. i wont happy with my A300 noise and auto iso capped at 400 . ll upgrade in near future

A550 vs A330 ? ofcoz A550 wins.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
,u will not regret buying A550.

If u got budget constrain, why not consider 2nd hand a500? saw a few of them going for around $900 in BnS, so its around the price of a brand new a330... worth considering.

i like to see A550 ISO comparison against D90 and 500D still cant find :( ... will it beat D90 ISO ?

i like to see A550 ISO comparison against D90 and 500D still cant find :( ... will it beat D90 ISO ?

Wait for more reviews to be out...

yeah i would want to see that too, have seen my colleague's D90 high ISO performance and it's simply awesome with Auto ISO going up to 2000+ damn cool i would say.

Might be slightly better or might be slightly worse. Can safely say that Sony is around C/N in high ISO performance now, nothing to worry about.

yeah i would want to see that too, have seen my colleague's D90 high ISO performance and it's simply awesome with Auto ISO going up to 2000+ damn cool i would say.

You rank a camera by it's auto ISO range? :dunno:

You rank a camera by it's auto ISO range? :dunno:

err.......i just say it's auto iso can go up to 2000+ which is quite cool. Did i say i rank it higher because of this? The fact is D90 is really a good cam. Anyway i am just a noob, you so pro i think you comment better lar, i keep quiet better if not wait say wrong thing again :dunno:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.