Sony A7Rv & Sony A7cr

Pitachu

Sep 18, 2019
Not sure why is there a lapse in the discussion as the last discussion was quite some time ago.

Anyway, I am currently looking for a high resolution camera for landscape and considering between the Sony A7Rv and Sony A7CR.
Can anyone share their thoughts and preferences?

For me, I prefer to have a lighter setup but not sure I may miss any feature available on the A7v besides having 2 card slots.

Check out their video. Depends on the extra features whether you need it or not in the end. For my kind of photography, a7r3 more than enough as I am more into time lapse and a bit of wide life (I mainly use a6k for it but might upgrade if needed.) If features on a7r5 overkill for you, a7cr might be good as you can use the extra $ for a wide lens :D

i might be wrong.. but i thot sony put all the latest AF tech in the A7cr that A7r5 don't have? so if, a7cr being a little cheaper and smaller (minus 1 card slot and a few custom buttons) kinda wins it for me. 😅

i might be wrong.. but i thot sony put all the latest AF tech in the A7cr that A7r5 don't have? so if, a7cr being a little cheaper and smaller (minus 1 card slot and a few custom buttons) kinda wins it for me. 😅
I think the the A7Rv has all the AF features (eg. AI subject recognition). Main advantage of A7cr is the size and weight but basically it has slighly less features than the A7Rv eg. 2nd card slot

Reactions: nightwolf75
I think the the A7Rv has all the AF features (eg. AI subject recognition). Main advantage of A7cr is the size and weight but basically it has slighly less features than the A7Rv eg. 2nd card slot
icic! i am still not quite caught up with the ins-and-outs of sony system yet cos i just got into it a few months back!

i watched a few videos on the a7cr. the most common refrain i heard is '90% of the features of a7r5 but in a smaller package'.. but reviewers being reviewers, nowadays i seldom here them say anything truly bad. i guess you have to see if you need all the features, or the weight savings is more needful? since you are doing landscapes, do you intend to pack a lot of gear for walk for long distances? or is your gear being driven? i am holding on the a7r4 now and kinda regretting it. so recently i picked up the OG a7c to make it easier to carry ard.. 😅

I have been on Landscape trips with photographers and to me it is quite okay to carry something heavier, as we usually stop about 1 hour or more for everyone to set up tripods, put on various lenses and filters. So if it is only for landscape (assuming budget is not an issue :cool: ) then the Sony A7Rv or even a Fujifilm 100mp medium format is okay.

However, several of my trips are not purely Landscape photos trip. I do stop by the city or markets for street photos and this is when a more "general camera" became useful. The 7Cr has the flexibility to let me fix on a small prime or tele for my street photos. I can even much smaller and lighter APS lenses and still get 26mp!

So for travels, I am thinking of using 7CR with APS lenses mostly and maybe bring a FF prime to shoot landscapes for certain locations. Think the 61mp is probably also useful when shooting and cropping some small wildlife.

Just sharing some of my thoughts before jumping in.

icic! i am still not quite caught up with the ins-and-outs of sony system yet cos i just got into it a few months back!

i watched a few videos on the a7cr. the most common refrain i heard is '90% of the features of a7r5 but in a smaller package'.. but reviewers being reviewers, nowadays i seldom here them say anything truly bad. i guess you have to see if you need all the features, or the weight savings is more needful? since you are doing landscapes, do you intend to pack a lot of gear for walk for long distances? or is your gear being driven? i am holding on the a7r4 now and kinda regretting it. so recently i picked up the OG a7c to make it easier to carry ard.. 😅

Reactions: nightwolf75
Test out the grip of both if you also into street photography. My hand are big, when hold the A6k with 200-600mm also need to hold tight. Therefore, a7rc body also small, might stress your wrist too. Around 3 more months for me to chiong USA/Canada, just brought the a7r mk3, using it for time lapse together with mk2. mk1 standby, haha! :D Btw, better get it ASAP else price increased and wasted the chance.

Here’s my 2 cents as someone who’s cycled through multiple a7 releases over the years.

Head down to Sony Somerset and hold the a7rv and a7cR in hand (both are currently on display). See if the ergonomics of the a7cR with the smaller grip (with or without grip attachment that's included) works for you. I’ve personally moved on to the smaller a7cii from the full sized bodies for weight savings and versatility of switching from my f2.8 zooms to a tiny, small prime and turning it into an everyday carry camera. Streamlining 2-3 systems into one.

Features aside, the a7rv has the tilt and swivel screen that’s an awesome implementation and this has not been discussed enough, a significantly better EVF. As much as i love the a7cii, the EVF in both the a7cii and a7cR is definitely lacking compared to the a7rV.

If on a budget, I believe the price difference between the 2 bodies is significant to put into a decent lens.
If budget's not an issue, get the a7rV and a secondary EDC system :)

Not sure why is there a lapse in the discussion as the last discussion was quite some time ago.

Anyway, I am currently looking for a high resolution camera for landscape and considering between the Sony A7Rv and Sony A7CR.
Can anyone share their thoughts and preferences?

For me, I prefer to have a lighter setup but not sure I may miss any feature available on the A7v besides having 2 card slots.