Sony A7 for beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollister

Mar 19, 2014
singapore
Hello I've been a photography for a fairly short time and still a student. I have used quite a few cameras such as the 600D(for a long time), the X100T(for a short time). The 600D has been my trusty DSLR for quite a while until I started facing problems with it, like having noise at low ISO and then it would suddenly and switch off etc. and the focus wasn't all that great. So since I have gotten rid of it, and sold my canon lens. I generally love taking photos of street, friends and family and events. Nothing professional of course, just a little hobby of mine. I have been looking into mirrorless, and played around with my friends' camera the X100T, a pretty good camera, I love the effective 35mm focal length! However, I realised it too compact for a good feel, not like a dslr.

And then I saw SONY A7 FULL FRAME mirrorless camera for about $1000 body only (used). Of course, I was drawn to it. I don't mind settling for a older model without IS, and would just like some thoughts on it! I love travel photography too, and would take my camera on trips! My budget is around $1600+, so I thought of getting the sony A7 + 28mm F2 lens and perhaps use a legacy lens for like 50mm f1.4/50mm f1.8. these two focal lengths should be more than enough for me! Is sony A7 for a beginner? I would love to hear more thoughts about this, thanks! :)

Definitely a good choice if you ask me. Personally I went from Canon to Sony A7 (still using the old model) with fe35, some legacy lens(50s, 85) and still my favourite to date. I would think it suits your style of photography (only thing is the shutter sound takes some time to get used to)

Definitely a good choice if you ask me. Personally I went from Canon to Sony A7 (still using the old model) with fe35, some legacy lens(50s, 85) and still my favourite to date. I would think it suits your style of photography (only thing is the shutter sound takes some time to get used to)
Thanks for the reply! Would appreciate your input since you've used the camera for quite some time.. especially with the legacy lens, do u find trouble in getting sharp images due to the lack of Image stabilization?

Why not ? ;p:dunno::thumbsup:
Sony A7 is a simple, cheap and light weight camera for any kind of photography especially travel & ladies.
You need no Image stabilization as long the shutter speed used is 1 / focal length; i.e. for 28 mm lens, the shutter speed should not be lower than 1/30 second or for 50mm lens, the should speed use should not be lower than 1/60 second to prevent camera shake.

i recommend to get zoom lens on travel....it save alot of trouble really

Its not a bad choice (as are most cameras nowadays)
The thing you need to be sure of is the manual focus lens part.
Can/Do you really want to do MF?

A7+FE28+MF 50mm is a pretty sound choice actually, provided you know what you are getting into with the MF lens.
Otherwise, just get the kit lens.

I think a used A7 seems good for a start but the lens option are quite limited especially for wide angle. For a start, maybe stick to 28-70 kit lens

Last edited:
I wonder will Sony seriously upped their lens line up as compared to the other brands. Honestly I moved from canon to the A7 series and am loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.