Sony A6500 vs A6300

tweien

May 25, 2017
Singapore
Hi guys,

I'm planning on a honeymoon with the Mrs to Iceland in October this year, and I'm torn between choosing the A6500 and the A6300. Reason why I'm selecting a camera is because we would like to capture some Northern Lights when we are there, and also some nice photographs for our memories. For starters, the only other camera I've used is my cellphone, so I reckon that I have a lot to learn in these few months. I would appreciate any advice that I can get from you guys. :)

Price wise, the A6500 is retailing at Harvey Norman at $1,849 and the A6300 at $1,279. That's a price difference of $570. On top of that, I suppose i need to get a spare battery, a lens for astrophotography, a sturdy tripod and a camera shutter release (optional).

Is the additional USD415 justifiable for the improvements in the A6500? I wouldn't be inclined to pay additional for some features that I wouldn't be touching at all.

Also, which lens would you guys recommend for taking of astrophotography? My range for the lens would ideally be around $700 - is there one that fits the bill? If not, which is the best value lens out there for the Sony A6500/A6300 ?

As for the tripod, the weather in Iceland is erratic at best. Which tripod would you guys recommend ? Perhaps something sturdy, and yet not too expensive.

My apologies if my questions seem a little basic. But I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Short answer: read in the Astro section about taking pictures of the Aurora Borealis. Then you will see already whether the bells and whistles of the newer model will make any difference. But since many people took great pictures with previous models it can't be technology alone.

Coming from mobile phone to A6300/A6500 is a huge jump.It's the difference between a go-kart
and a F1 car.What you should know is A6300 does not have IBIS (in body image stabalisation,how useful
for your use as you will have native in-lens stabalisation).A6500 also have electronic shutter if I'm not wrong which goes as high as 1/32000 sec. Again how useful it is for you.)A question of do you need these features. XT20 does have electronic shutter too.

That said A6300 is a good compromise. Now you mentioned astrophotography, A6300 can perform here but you need to know at which ISO setting..it's between ISO 1600 - 6400.You may want to search info about ISO variant/ invariant cameras on astrophotograhy pros and cons.;) Fujifilm XT20 is a contender here. Also do not use/engage image stabalistion when camera is on tripod.The reason will be obvious when you understand more.:)

Video..tough call here between A6300 vs XT20... but XT20 has microphone jack for external mic. if audio quality is important.

You really need to research more on what features are priority and those you can live without.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm also seriously considering a6500 and a6300. One point, $600 alot while gain is debatable. Basically, ibis and touch screen.

I believe if need to expand lens beyond Sony, then a6500 is worth it.
Touch screen not up to expectation.

Right now, the A6500 and the A7II are about the same price.

Right now, the A6500 and the A7II are about the same price.

Correct, the price of a6500 and a7ii is the same! This point alone make it a hard decision.

Perhaps the xt20 is a better choice now?

Correct, the price of a6500 and a7ii is the same! This point alone make it a hard decision.

Perhaps the xt20 is a better choice now?

Fuji XT20 has no IBIS. If so the A6300 at about $1250 would be cheaper than the XT20.