SONY A6000 or A6300/A6500. Coming from a FUJI X100S user

Neil9229

Jul 4, 2017
Chua Chu Kang
After contemplating for months, I am ready to venture into Sony ecosystem. At first I wanted to get the Fuji XT20 with kit lens, which will set me back around 1.5k to 2k. Meanwhile I can get a Sony A6000 with two really good lens (sigma 30mm f1.4 and sigma 16mm f1.4/Rokinon 12mm f2) for less than 2k. I have a question, anyone who has used A6500 and A6000 here, is the image quality between those two differ by a lot? As far as I know A6500 has better ergonomic due to larger grib and IBIS and 4k capabilities. I am only interested in photography and zero interest in video, thus I am considering only the A6000 instead of A6300/6500.

I haven't used either camera extensively but I did have the opportunity to shoot with both a6000 and a6300 for a month last year, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt.

The main differences between these cameras for photography will be the noticeably faster autofocus and a nicer viewfinder. Both are alright to hold in the hand, but I'd would have preferred something bigger (maybe the a6500 has a deeper grip?) particularly when using the larger lenses. Most of the zeiss primes will balance well but if you start adapting canon EF lenses on then there might be a problem with holding it by the grip.

The viewfinder on the a6300 isn't brighter by much (I think?) but it does have a nicer image than the one on the a6000. I wouldn't say this is a dealbreaker for me since I tend to look at the screen for smaller cameras. Your mileage may vary so that's up to you.

If you are more inclined towards street, people or landscape photography then save some $ and get an a6000. If you need the speed, get the a6500.

Thanks for the reply. Decided to pick up second hand Sony A6000 and save the money for some quality lenses. :D