Sony A55 & A33 DSLR Camera Not Suited For Tropical Climates

True...:sweatsm: but unless inside some air conditioned building, anywhere outside is just like in the oven~ big chance Summer days will be with an on strike a33/55? hope I'm totally wrong with my assumptions, as I am very interested in getting a33/55 too ;)

I can't really say since I never use the a33/55 before, and never work in such hot condition, but i think there's a high chance that the camera will have problem. If you die die have to take photo in such condition, i think best to stick to conventional DSLR.

Ive used my A33 few times taking snap during lunch time it was pretty hot I dunno what's the temp but you know Sg when it's sunny it's sunny alright... and so only once I have gotten the temp warning when I was using the com almost non-stop for like 45mins never off it during that time. But when I turn off the cam during which I am walking and hunting for new location even few hours under he sun it doesnt over heat at all.

I think all mirrorless and m4/3 will have the same problem so my advice is in between sot if you know you wont be taking shots like 5-10mins turn it off or like what Titan say get a conventional DSLR :)

I thought all conventional DSLR also have the same problem.

All will overheat when we over-use them in hot weather whether conventional or not.

Correct ?

:eek::think:

All will overheat when we over-use them in hot weather whether conventional or not.

Correct ?

Yup. Which is why this thread is a joke.

Correct ?

No conventional DSLRs don't have this problem, since the sensor is only used during exposure, whereas in DSLT/mirrorless, the sensor is used all the time the camera is turned on.

No conventional DSLRs don't have this problem, since the sensor is only used during exposure, whereas in DSLT/mirrorless, the sensor is used all the time the camera is turned on.

Yup, but in video mode, which is what this thread was originally about, the conventional DSLR cameras also have overheating problems.

Nope ! ...the SLT's main sensors will only be "used all the time" when recording video, coupled with the heat from the SSS is why you'll only have about 5-7mins of video before the temp warning comes out.

The SLT uses another sensor for the AF ...but all this is mute as the main heat would be coming from the processers processing the HD codecs ..."conventional DSLR" DO have the same problems ! ...but for some strange reasons, there are very few discussions on it ...don't believe me, go check your user manual, every DSLR with Video has a disclaimer warning users not to exceede x mins of video recording.

I have not experienced any overheating issues shooting 10fps in really hot weather, maybe it's because I seldom fire off sequences of more then 3 secs.

Nope ! ...the SLT's main sensors will only be "used all the time" when recording video, coupled with the heat from the SSS is why you'll only have about 5-7mins of video before the temp warning comes out.

The SLT uses another sensor for the AF ...but all this is mute as the main heat would be coming from the processers processing the HD codecs ..."conventional DSLR" DO have the same problems ! ...but for some strange reasons, there are very few discussions on it ...don't believe me, go check your user manual, every DSLR with Video has a disclaimer warning users not to exceede x mins of video recording.

I have not experienced any overheating issues shooting 10fps in really hot weather, maybe it's because I seldom fire off sequences of more then 3 secs.

My wife did accidentally shoot like 3 or 4 consecutive 7pfs shot when I ask her to shot some snap while I try the ride I forgot I have the cam in Hi burst mode she was amaze that the cam could shoot that fast so she tried it few more times in almost back to back shooting but I have not seen any warning... Did saw it once when I was taking a very long vid like 6mins long then I remember I have the SSS on the next vid was longer around 8mins w/o any errors...

the simple solution is to set the power saving mode to 20secs, instead of the default 1min.

You are wasting alot of energy + generating heat by using 1min as power saving.

And people wonder why battery life is short and camera heats up fast....

Really funny why nobody talks about overheating cams when the Canons were boasting about their DSLR which can record video, but the moment Sony release such cameras with video capabilities, the spotlight is on overheating issues as if the Sonys are the only one suffering from such problems. :dunno:

Those distractors can go ahead and talk (aka blow-cow) as much as they like, it's not going to stop me from shooting great photos and videos with my A55 !:bsmilie:

Such bias comments are simply sour grapes response from the other camp as they start to see their market share going southward.:sticktong

I guess the really simple reason is that the way Sony implemented video, it is usable and hence users tend to take a longer video clip than on the Canons and Nikons... and so the overheating issue is experienced by a far larger pool of users than say a Canon DSLR with video... for that unwieldy implementation, all you really want to do is take a clip quickly and stop cos it's too difficult to shoot more than a few seconds since the focus is always going to be an issue with a changing scene...

And as for the 9 min limit... seriously if you have shot video before, you will know that most of your footage is crap... and good video clips should be less than 30sec if all you're doing is a video log of your travels or baby or anything casual... anything longer than that the viewer is going to get bored and you're going to have a super hard time editing and compiling your video...

Obviously if taking video clips more than 10mins, then better use a dedicated camcorder or PNS with good quality videos these days.

DSLR/DSLT's videos are meant for occasionally need to capture 1-2 mins of footage like kids playing at pool, learning his first steps, calling daddy for the first time, etc....

Moreover, for such footage, anything longer than 2 mins seems to bore the audience....

Under the right operating condition, right lens and stabilization OFF, your Sony camera can get up to 29 minutes of video recording. WoooHooo ! :thumbsup:

http://ylovephoto.com/en/2010/10/02/sony-a55-overheating/

:D:D

We all know that... Popphoto did a test but seriously it defeats the purpose without the stabilisation...

We all know that... Popphoto did a test but seriously it defeats the purpose without the stabilisation...

I think its ok without sss. I have used gf1 and nex5 with their pancale lenses for videos and videos are quite smooth, definitely more than enough quality for family usage.

Alternatively get sigma lenses with OS then.

Seriously !

Flogging a dead horse is one thing, but flogging a skeleton ?!?!? :think:

BUYERS BEWARE:

hXXp://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/sony-a55-a33-video-recording-limited-by-overheating-sensor/

BUYERS BEWARE:

hXXp://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/sony-a55-a33-video-recording-limited-by-overheating-sensor/

seriously? wow.... we had no idea...

except for the fact that this is OLD news. Flogging a dead horse isn't enough? they flogged a dead horse's skeleton pulling up this thread last year....

and you you're stirring the remains of the dead horse in its shallow grave?

seriously? dude get a life. there are better things to flog with your CPU, keyboard and LAN cable.

BUYERS BEWARE:

Did you realise you and TS share the same source? And this has been extensively discussed. All DSLRs with video recording capabilities have overheating issue. That is why some cap their video recording time limit.