Sony A100 or Nikon D80 or Canon 400D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helcifer

Mar 15, 2007
I'm a newbie who is looking for a good dslr camera, and my budget is $2000. I have shakey hands.. so I thought my cam must have the anti-shake capability (either embedded in the cam body or the lens must have this function).

Now I have narrow down my choice to Sony A100, Nikon D80 and Canon 400D. Sony A100 tempted me because of the anti-shake function inside the cam. Will Sony A100 benefit me in a long run? Or should I go for Nikon or Canon despite their costly anti-shake lens? I need you guys opinions.. thanks!! :)

Another excellent camera to consider - Pentax K10D
Won the "Camera Grand Prix 2007" in Japan and TIPA's Best Expert dSLR Camera Awards 2007

Go to the shop to have a feel of the cameras to see which one fits your hands most comfortably. or in-body IS, you can compare the Sony A100, Pentax K100 and Pentax K10D.

well,if you need inbody shake reduction,pentax is a good choice too!I've tried the sony before at their showroom i didnt really like the feel of the body.It would be better for you to go down to the shops and hold them and feel.:)

I had the KM 5D before before moving over to Canon.... I would say in built IS is a great feature to have.... even till now I am still missing it.... but selecting a DSLR is not just about the camera body, you have to put availability of lenses, flash system, bodies upgrade options into consideration too.... this is something sony/km could not offer me at that point in time which prompted me to jump ship....
get a Canon with the tamron 17-50mm together with its high ISO capabilities it should more or less cover up for the lost of in built IS....

I was in a similar situation... In the end I got the A100 because I loved the features and it was soooooooo comfortable in my hands. Lenses have not been a problem, the Marketplace section here, ebay, amazon, dyxum and John 3:16 have all the lenses I need at a good price.

i think there are tons of discussion on this on the forum le ba... :)

anyway, personally I feel best is see which one u hold liao dun wan to let go... then its the one you should get!

agree with zcwnfx.. the one that stick to your hand!

i was mucking around with the a100 and realised that the shutter sound is reaaaaally loud...kinda bothered me...significantly louder than my d40...

just my 2rupiah's worth...

i see this thread a few times already... seriously i think that sony is better off still making their music devices cos i find it not bad.. i think what u shld compare is Canon and Nikon, by their features, see which suits u better

Sony A100, if you are a completely newbie with shakey hand, unique wannabe, and have a lot of $ to spend in future.

Nikon D80, if you are an experienced amatuer photographer and wanted a camera with more feature.

Canon 400D, if your hand is small, wanted a light weight camera, low budget, with many 2nd hand lens to choose from in the market.

i see this thread a few times already... seriously i think that sony is better off still making their music devices cos i find it not bad.. i think what u shld compare is Canon and Nikon, by their features, see which suits u better

dun u noe that the SHUTTER sound is like a music too to some of us :devil: ...thats y the alpha is like a music device to me.. the only prob is..this music device can store pictures only..:dunno: ..if u wanna to listen to MORE music..press the magic button more then..:cool: ..

what will happen if Sony A100 is fixed with a Sigma OS or Tamron VC lens?
Will the 2 anti-shake clash? think towards how A100 activate the anti shake, and how OS VC works.

i was mucking around with the a100 and realised that the shutter sound is reaaaaally loud...kinda bothered me...significantly louder than my d40...

just my 2rupiah's worth...

:think: Hmmm...will the shutter sound affect the picture quality? Why is softer shutter sound better?

Sony A100, if you are a completely newbie with shakey hand, unique wannabe, and have a lot of $ to spend in future.

Nikon D80, if you are an experienced amatuer photographer and wanted a camera with more feature.

Canon 400D, if your hand is small, wanted a light weight camera, low budget, with many 2nd hand lens to choose from in the market.

So the Sony is only fit for newbies and does not have certain features which Canon & Nikon have. Can you briefly list what are the features that Canon & Nikon have that Sony doesn't have and what are the features that Sony have that Nikon & Canon doesn't have. Think I should seriously consider which direction I should go. Thank you for your help. :)

conclusion : buy all 3. :devil:

if u shoot shoot landscape and still life like me too...trust me,trust sony, trust jamie, buy alpha 吧!:D

Availability of equipment and 3rd party lenses: Canon & Nikon

Most features: Nikon D80

In-camara image stabilisers: Pentax K10D & Sony A-100

Cheapest: Sony A-100 or Pentax K10D(?)

BC

if u shoot shoot landscape and still life like me too...trust me,trust sony, trust jamie, buy alpha 吧!:D

only landscapes?? stillife ( stationary humans) ? hehehe.. I will only trust u when u sell off all ur KM lenses ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.