Sonia@Ang Siang Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
been a while since i shot outdoors and together with astin & gang. first time using my tamron 90mm/f2.8 Macro lens out for a portrait shoot. i shot sonia last sun almost exclusively on this lens. excellent lens for head and half-body shots! a big thing i love abt this lens is the bokeh. however, i spolit a lot of shots becos of the DOF. i found that, becos of the DOF, a lot of my shots were slightly out of focus. always found 1 eye to be slightly off. guess i need more work on how to use this lens properly. :embrass:

so, here's presenting sonia! PS done was to resize, give a border and to correct the colour temp. as usual, constructive comments much appreciated. but, pls bring all banal talk or trashing of model some where else?

#1 - Sonia; the pan-Asian look. believe it or not, she's actually 100% singaporean!

CRW_0640.jpg

#2 - Sonia; a reflection. this is not PSed. took this shot off a metal door we found in a back lane.

CRW_0657.jpg

#3 - Sonia; on a swing. i wuz trying to use the swing's metal chains to frame her. think not very succesful.... :sweat:

CRW_0711.jpg

thanks, astin for organising the shoot! also nice to meet andre, andy, joel.... and i forgot one more guy's name... sorry... but it was great to meet new frens and to catch up with old ones! cya on the next shoot!

Nice shots Sam....of course the nice girl also helps to make teh image nicer:bsmilie:

Eh.. first nit pick, your skin colour's a bit off.

1st shot - I like the simplicity & natural pose of this shot, the model's totally at ease with you :thumbsup:

2nd shot - eyes are gone, what intrigued me was the 'thinking' feel of the model's eyes, looking elsewhere deep in thoughts :thumbsup: only minor nits are that the exposure however is metered on the face and not the reflection? Also, probably a smaller aperture would have brought out the eye details in the reflection.

3rd shot - she should have slept earlier the night before, the clothes & make up don't complement each other at all. Her knee is also out, it's totally not needed in the frame. I get what you're trying to achieve with the DOF'd swing-chain but sadly, it doesn't work in this case. Ah.. one last nit, facial hair is a no-no... :nono:

Oh well.. just a NoOb's comments, keep shooting!

watch out for her moustache!

and what in the world are those white blobd in #3?

wah, good good, nice skin tone, can post ur close up eyes? hehehehe :):):):)

Convert you color representation to sRGB instead of putting it as Adobe RGB..

Cheers!

hi, espn! so, did u manage to "seduce" king tiger in the recent NC? :bsmilie:

skin colour off? darn my bloody cheepo Dell LCD... think i need to get a CRT soon.

#1: thanks! appreciate that. :embrass: dats my first shot of the day.

#2: yeah, i see wat u mean. i wrote earlier in my post abt my screwing up on the DOF of my tamron 90mm. with a f2.8, i found it very easy for me to totally miss the focus. and yup, i pointed my metering at the door. so, i should focus on her face? will take note. btw, how shld i avoid missing the focus if i open up my f-stop?

#3: okie. point noted. i knew i screw up this shot. shld have just ignore the foreground chain and shoot a half-body. heehee... btw, as for the facial fair... okie lah. shld have PSed it away. :sweat:

ransoma22 said:
Convert you color representation to sRGB instead of putting it as Adobe RGB..

Cheers!

eh... ransoma22, how u know i used Adobe RGB as my parameter setting for my 300D. i wanted to see wats the effect on my pics. guess i screwed up? okie... time to reset my parameters again.

andi1704 - ah... u mean the one i shot up-close-and-personal? i screwed up dat shot and trashed it. i got one eyeball in focus. but the rest of the face is totally off.

student - okie... shld have PSed away the facial hair. the white blood is the swing's metal chain. i was trying to play ard with the DOF.

jbma - thanks! so, when am i going to see u on a model shoot??!!! :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
hi, espn! so, did u manage to "seduce" king tiger in the recent NC? :bsmilie:
Urm... well.. :sweat:

nightwolf75 said:
#2: yeah, i see wat u mean. i wrote earlier in my post abt my screwing up on the DOF of my tamron 90mm. with a f2.8, i found it very easy for me to totally miss the focus. and yup, i pointed my metering at the door. so, i should focus on her face? will take note. btw, how shld i avoid missing the focus if i open up my f-stop?
Shooting at f/5.6 or f/8 doesn't make you misfocus, the focusing will still be at the point whereby you selected on the focusing screen to focus at. At f/2.8 probably you 'missed' the focus because the aperture value is too big and thus you DOF very easily if you miss it, normally at f/8, you can achieve quite an even in focus shot. I think since you were shooting up close, f/4-f/5.6 would have gotten the eye details.

nightwolf75 said:
#3: okie. point noted. i knew i screw up this shot. shld have just ignore the foreground chain and shoot a half-body. heehee... btw, as for the facial fair... okie lah. shld have PSed it away. :sweat:
Actually, it's the model's duty to be concious of her professionalism & to know that even if it's a job and posing for amatuers/hobbyists, she should have taken the necessary actions before the shoot to remove her facial hair and eye-bags etc.

Must teach me how to shoot one day ok? :D

nightwolf75 said:
eh... ransoma22, how u know i used Adobe RGB as my parameter setting for my 300D. i wanted to see wats the effect on my pics. guess i screwed up? okie... time to reset my parameters again.
:bsmilie:

From your EXIF, for web representation, use sRGB.
You will see the difference when you compare it using Photoshop along side with your browser.
There nothing wrong in using Adobe RGB ....just your web representation

;)

espn said:
Shooting at f/5.6 or f/8 doesn't make you misfocus, the focusing will still be at the point whereby you selected on the focusing screen to focus at. At f/2.8 probably you 'missed' the focus because the aperture value is too big and thus you DOF very easily if you miss it, normally at f/8, you can achieve quite an even in focus shot. I think since you were shooting up close, f/4-f/5.6 would have gotten the eye details.

okie. but if i want to really open up the f-stop at f2.8, how shld i do it? i want to blur out the background, but keep the face in focus. i know shooting at f8, then PS later would be the easiest. but, i would love to be able to do it right the first time. :sweat:

espn said:
Actually, it's the model's duty to be concious of her professionalism & to know that even if it's a job and posing for amatuers/hobbyists, she should have taken the necessary actions before the shoot to remove her facial hair and eye-bags etc.

haha... i guess astin will be reading these comments soon!

espn said:
Must teach me how to shoot one day ok? :D

ahhh... u sure or not? i need to learn from u, aj23 and sykestang first!
:embrass:

ransoma22 said:
From your EXIF, for web representation, use sRGB.
You will see the difference when you compare it using Photoshop along side with your browser.
There nothing wrong in using Adobe RGB ....just your web representation

;)

thank you!!! :thumbsup: will remember dat.

nightwolf75 said:
okie. but if i want to really open up the f-stop at f2.8, how shld i do it? i want to blur out the background, but keep the face in focus. i know shooting at f8, then PS later would be the easiest. but, i would love to be able to do it right the first time. :sweat:
Open at f/4, go closer, note my Perplexed shots? I took them at f/4 to maintain a near sharp facial feature and still I can bokeh the background, ;) You can open at f/2.8 also, just becareful of the focusing, cos if you focus wrongly, on the LCD & on the computer will show a vast difference. Make sure the focusing motor stopped before you shift your framing (if you're using AF-L). This might help.

nightwolf75 said:
ahhh... u sure or not? i need to learn from u, aj23 and sykestang first!
:embrass:
You must be kidding... me? I can talk only. The real pros are still the masters at portraiture :)

espn said:
Open at f/4, go closer, note my Perplexed shots? I took them at f/4 to maintain a near sharp facial feature and still I can bokeh the background, ;) You can open at f/2.8 also, just becareful of the focusing, cos if you focus wrongly, on the LCD & on the computer will show a vast difference. Make sure the focusing motor stopped before you shift your framing (if you're using AF-L). This might help.

thanks, bro! :thumbsup: will try dat on my next shoot. hmmmm... din know i can get a nice bokeh too at f4. i thot ur Perplexed shots was taken with ur f-stop opened up. see? told u i need to learn from u! :lovegrin:

andre said:
nice shoot bro !!... waiting for your 6x6 B/W :)

*BLEAH*.... haven't go and develop the 120 film yet. most probably later this week. but, it means i've to scan the pics... :confused:

nightwolf75 said:
thanks, bro! :thumbsup: will try dat on my next shoot. hmmmm... din know i can get a nice bokeh too at f4. i thot ur Perplexed shots was taken with ur f-stop opened up. see? told u i need to learn from u! :lovegrin:

Don't tripod me :kok: It won't work, I'm still a NoOb :sweat:

You can get very nice DOF even at f/8-11!! Check out the macro shots of megaweb! You can use distance and zoom to compress the background to give more bokeh even at f/5.6, look at the nature shooters, f/5.6-f/8 at 500mm will give you a nice bokeh won't it?

For me, simply just go nearer and frame it at f/4. f/2.8 can get you sharp images as well.

Eg: Geraldine. Taken with an AF-S 70-200VR at f/2.8 wide open. Note that if you're not careful very easily you can DOF the wrong parts though.

i like the pose in the first photo....works for me...nice and clean...juz the skin tones bit....could do alittle touch up ya,,,,

cheers....juz my two cts ,,

Witness said:
i like the pose in the first photo....works for me...nice and clean...juz the skin tones bit....could do alittle touch up ya,,,,

cheers....juz my two cts ,,

thanks, witness! i know the skin tones a bit flat. will experiment some more on my PC.

looks like everyone agrees the 1st pic is nicer than the rest. guess i'll hold the experimenting on my future shoots and stick to basics! :p

no.2 is a good take...

Status
Not open for further replies.