Songkhla Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

eosandy

Sep 14, 2008
Land of smiles
I would like feedback on the composition and exposure as I feel they are both lacking somewhat. The shot was composed primarily to capture the clouds which were amazing, and the passing storm.

It was approaching sunset at 5.20pm. This place I have been driving past every day for a couple of weeks but it's a really busy route especially at rush-hour and taking the shot meant a bit of off-road driving.

I wanted to capture a beautiful landscape. No emotions or motives except the enjoyment of photography!

3620206925_111d4c03d3_o.jpg

I personnally feel the foreground a bit too cluttered and busy, but I tried to provide leading lines into the picture... (?) I think the sky came out just nice, however the area with the brightest sunshine is blown.

I maybe wrong (?) but bracketed (HDR) may have been one way to capture this scene correctly?

Post process using CS4:
Adjust horizon -0.2 degrees.
Neutralise white balance by adjusting curves.
Exposure was tightened a bit by adjusting levels.
Image cropped a little to remove plasic container from foreground.
Resized and finally sharpened.

Panasonic DMC-LX3
F2 @ 1/400
ISO80
24mm

I am no expert, but the photo seem to lack of punch and colors.
One more, not sharp to me

For landscapes, using F value below 8 is not recommended.. You need as much depth-of-field
as possible, which is why people use tripod to shoot landscape to be able to stop down to the smallest aperture size. The photo is fine I guess, but the foreground is a little dark, consider using a Graduated ND filter. The poles need to be shown :)

Last edited:
I am no expert, but the photo seem to lack of punch and colors.
One more, not sharp to me

For landscapes, using F value below 8 is not recommended.. You need as much depth-of-field
as possible, which is why people use tripod to shoot landscape to be able to stop down to the smallest aperture size. The photo is fine I guess, but the foreground is a little dark, consider using a Graduated ND filter. The poles need to be shown :)

Thanks guy's, point taken about DOF and F-Stop and sharpness. Gonna give it another go with a tripod.

For me all elements are there to get a good shot. To start w it must be sharp one all the way (tripod, small aperture) as said in previous comments. Once you have sharp raw there is much you can do in PP. You could try even single shot mild tone mapping to make wonders.

I'm suprised everyone only talked about the techincal aspects of the photo, but no one mentioned the compositional process.

Personally, I feel the photo is lacking a point of focus and interest. The foreground is definitely cluttered it could be good if the pole structures could be the one leading to the sun, if you get what I mean.

If your objective is to capture the nice cloud formations together with the sun, you've succeeded. :) I would wait a while more for the sun to set further. You'll get better colours and atmosphere.

For me all elements are there to get a good shot. To start w it must be sharp one all the way (tripod, small aperture) as said in previous comments. Once you have sharp raw there is much you can do in PP. You could try even single shot mild tone mapping to make wonders.

I'm suprised everyone only talked about the techincal aspects of the photo, but no one mentioned the compositional process.

Personally, I feel the photo is lacking a point of focus and interest. The foreground is definitely cluttered it could be good if the pole structures could be the one leading to the sun, if you get what I mean.

If your objective is to capture the nice cloud formations together with the sun, you've succeeded. :) I would wait a while more for the sun to set further. You'll get better colours and atmosphere.

Thanks for your honest critique, really appreciated and your points are noted.

1. I can see that the original photo is sharp throughout the range although this photo doesn't look sharp due to the low resolution sample being posted on this thread.

2. If you want a more satuated colour rendering, it can be done by changing the scene mode or increase the satuation levels in the camera.

3. This is a compact. There's nothing wrong with shooting at aperature f4 or even f2.8; hyperfocus is easily achieved.

4. As you'd mentioned that you're driving, you don't need a tripod. Put your camera on the roof of car, turn on the timer and there you have a quadpod.

5. There's nothing wrong with your composition. Many great landscapes especially with the ocean as the horizon don't need one. Even you yourself mentioned that you took this photo because you liked the sunset scene (period).

6. The foreground gives viewers a clue to where you are and adds scale to the overall scene. This is somewhat important in landscape photography.

7. I'd taken liberty to show you what could be done with the original photo. Let me know if you don't like it and I'll remove it.

samplet.jpg

* Artifacts in the image are due to lack of information from the original small sample posted *

Last edited:
1. I can see that the original photo is sharp throughout the range although this photo doesn't look sharp due to the low resolution sample being posted on this thread.

2. If you want a more satuated colour rendering, it can be done by changing the scene mode or increase the satuation levels in the camera.

3. This is a compact. There's nothing wrong with shooting at aperature f4 or even f2.8; hyperfocus is easily achieved.

4. As you'd mentioned that you're driving, you don't need a tripod. Put your camera on the roof of car, turn on the timer and there you have a quadpod.

5. There's nothing wrong with your composition. Many great landscapes especially with the ocean as the horizon don't need one. Even you yourself mentioned that you took this photo because you liked the sunset scene (period).

6. The foreground gives viewers a clue to where you are and adds scale to the overall scene. This is somewhat important in landscape photography.

7. I'd taken liberty to show you what could be done with the original photo. Let me know if you don't like it and I'll remove it.

* Artifacts in the image are due to lack of information from the original small sample posted *

Many thanks for the constructive criticism and positive suggestions about making the shot better. I'm away to tweak with PS a bit more but unfortunately only saved it as a jpeg. shooting RAW all the time now, and upgraded to camera raw 5.2 to support LX3.
I love what this LX3 can achieve, given it's really a meagre P&S.

I'm away to take the kids to school in the quadpod. :bsmilie:

Wow.. u go Songkhla for what siah? Not scared of bomb? I think I been to this place that you took the photo from. Is it at the restaurant?

Wow.. u go Songkhla for what siah? Not scared of bomb? I think I been to this place that you took the photo from. Is it at the restaurant?

:bsmilie:... safe place lah. Media "blow-up" problem around here. Work brings me to Songkhla.

This is what the locals call the back-road alternative to the main highway. A few restaurants on the way, but this shot is off-road to get to the waters edge. You can buy all fresh seafood at the roadside...

Thanks for viewing!!!

turn this into black and white. it would probably be nicer. like some said the colours makes it looks less well taken. but hey i think you shoot better than me! :)

oh ok.. if work then ok. coz i visit this place 3 times already.. All for work too. Nice place, though ocassional bomb threat. I regret not bringing my camera when i was there 1st - 3rd June 2009. Just 2 weeks back.

seems a bit too many elements in composition, looks messy

To eosandy:

Thanks for sharing. On the point of composition, usually when presented with a scene like this, I will take several pictures from different vantage points and from different angles, and even in portrait orientation. I will keep shooting until the sun sets, and when I go back I can first choose the best shot, and second to learn and examine what works and what doesn't. After sometime, your compositional skills will sure improve.

Last edited:
In this particular scene, I'd have the poles as foreground interest. So typically, I would get my feet and tripod dirty on the beach (provided if it is safe...no crocs, poisonous urchins etc), and shoot with the poles as the foreground. Maybe you can even have the setting sun peeking from one of the poles...so many possibilities and thinking of these makes me excited already.

Cheers!

i too would increase the foreground

i would use a wa lens and make the foreground bigger in the frame, this will increase the sense of depth to your image
i noticed that there are nice reflections and patterns in the puddles of water
i would use that too in my composition

Status
Not open for further replies.