Sometimes things do get ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garion said:
It is indeed sad to see such threads degenerating into all out slagging at each other. I remember a time in the distant past when most of us were relative newbies, lugging prosumer or PnS cams or SLRs and got together for shoots...damn fun and camaraderie was definitely there. No politics, brand wars or whatsoever.
Tell me about it. Fashion shows without issues, everybody was polite to each other, after the shoot, canon, nikon wtf all go for dinner/drinks talk **** session. Taking leave to meet and shoot for a few hours.

Garion said:
Time passes, people upgrade, get new gear etc. Forum grows bigger, all sorts of ppl join. I think with the passage of time, people change, and sometimes tend to forget once they were newbies too, and start treating newcomers asking basic questions with derision and scorn. The helpful, sharing spirit that was present at all four corners of the forum has now mostly dissipated and more OT and personal flame posts have surfaced. I do not know what caused this, but yes the forum has changed quite a bit from what it was two or so years ago. (for the worse?)
What helpful spirit was there? Everybody was quick to ask, nobody was quick to share what they've learned, those helpful ones already gave up answering the questions again and again and when asked to search it's derision and scorn? Does it have anything to do with ugprading of gears? I think it has something to do with the newer people?

Probably upgrading of gears did count towards me getting despised for using a PnS and getting the eye-look-up-down action, and also people who've taken a step further into photography and/or a different level to now look down on others and be sacarstic to others?

I'd say it's an ego and pride issue.

Garion said:
But still I am glad to observe there are still many generous and kind folks around in CS, just that they aren't that active around here sometimes.
Not forgetting those who are senior and constantly on the prowl for targets. There does exist. There are helpful ones which are no longer around, you know who they are.

Garion said:
But on the whole I still hope the forum will change for the better, lets all be more understanding and tolerant of one another, and share what we have learned with all. As one saying goes, "Shoot more, talk less." Cheers to all. :)
Tell me about it. Unnecessary flamebaits, brainless flames and constant edging of others to bite into it and take that excuse to blow things up. Repetitive posts with potential flamebaits trying again and again to lure one another into anal fights & vulgar/crude remarks and yet can claim that they aren't crass.

How to change for the better unless the jokers themselves decide to let things go and accept the way they were and how this forum is? Everyday I get somebody trying to lay a trap for me. They know who they are. It's bothersome to even bother unless I feel I'm up to it.

If you want to say "shoot more, talk less", tell that to those who just do nothing but does potential flamewars/baits all day long.

I've said enough and think that it's time to move on, things have always been ugly when people don't like me try means and ways to irritate me and often I try not to retaliate because it's of no point.

Yet, nothing can be done because I'm the 22K post count espn that for no reason everybody else (who doesn't know me) thinks I'm arrogant and boastful of this fact.

Oh, bother, what's the point. I've long given up.

Dennis said:
Yeh sad to see that as well after giving 2 cents worth of comments and thread degenerated to nothing. Have the mod comes out in fairness to comments on why it is like that and who started all the names calling etc. Does the forum encourage vulgarity. :dunno:
It would help if the person is willing to see from the other person's perspective and accept it rather than die-hard trying to do lip-service.

As for vulgarity, it depends on people to people, if it's others used on me, till somebody complains at most the thread is locked, nothing else will happen. If I attempted to use on others, the thread will be locked and I will be warned. Funny how things works around here anymore. :nono:

Forums sure have changed. I think every forum changes when it goes political and grows in size.

My card-reader MO thread didn't even get approved. Talk political.

espn said:
. I've long given up.

So can we assume you won't post in this thread again?

jsbn said:
It makes me wonder at times, we sometimes cannot forget some really awful things that happen to us. How we are mistreated and so on. But then again, is it really necessary to put up words like "... legal action will be/going to be/ought to be... If u do not substaintiate/backup..."
Please note that I've explained clearly, certain things can be defamation and certain things can be used against you when not careful, all I did in my post was to warn +evenstar of the potential problem that might be and asked him to be careful before anything might happen.

I cannot help it if everybody assumed that it was a threat directed and coming from me which failure to comply would result in a lawsuit.

Everybody's intepretation is what they percieve and want to have.

"Sorry for conclusions derived otherwise." would come in useful?

jsbn said:
Do we really want CS to become a sue-happy place where ppl resort to legal action and stuff cos 'we wanna get justice for an injustice'? If that's really so, the countless photographers here who once shot stuff for free and exploited would sue, ppl who flame/had been flamed/was flamed all would be sued.
So that means one can talk what they want and think they can get away with it? You mean to say my kind advice for +evenstar to retract his untruthful words/claims was not justified? :rolleyes:

jsbn said:
We all have been seeing threads locked but very few ppl getting banned maybe becos Admins and Mods probably subscribe to the fact of 'give ppl chance' which in fact may be giving too many chances and trolls start to take advantage.
Problem is I'm always the troll, until an uproar is created by the reall trolls/clones nothing ever happens.

jsbn said:
Time to just hit the 'ban user' button instantaneously now?
Might as well just keep the forum private to the original people who started it and shut out access to all others if that's the case?

Banning helps? Look at the clones one after another joining/coming back to start wars/flames etc.

'nuff said. Shoot more, talk less.

teckyy said:
So can we assume you won't post in this thread again?
Do a search on this user's posts and I'm very sure it's a clone.

See what I mean?

They just have to clone back, irritate and take things out of context and/or go everywhere else to post information regarding to such matter(s).

I don't have to justify my actions, but if you wanna talk about things getting ugly, it's those who continously harp on things and tries to stir up sh!t after things have settled.

I do not need to list examples.

I thought you said you hve had enough and given up? Why still rant non-stop?

teckyy said:
I thought you said you hve had enough and given up? Why still rant non-stop?
Now Ben, Steven, you tell me lor, should I bother about such people even in the first place? I try to avoid them but they must come and try to start a potential war.

And best, the mods/admins don't bother about it. Talk about fairness.

espn said:
it's those who continously harp on things and tries to stir up sh!t after things have settled.

QUOTE]

You mean like what you are doing in this thread?

espn said:
Now Ben, Steven, you tell me lor, should I bother about such people even in the first place? QUOTE]

No you shouldn't.

Francis247 said:
Interesting. Haven't seen that phrase for quite some time. The case prove itself. :thumbsup:
Yep, haven't seen it for... a few months? :think: :)

wind30 said:
common, I think your comments are very unfair. ...

*snip*

B4 you start saying my thread is ugly, please note all I did was to highlight the ugliness around CS nowadays.

*snip*

Usually I just don't bother lor... but the threat of legal action is too much, IMHO.

Sorry dude, I wasn't saying that your thread was ugly. Its a lovely poll that turned ugly. I said " it seems to have grown out of control" and my title is "Sometimes things do get ugly". I have nothing against you, so please do not take this thread as another flame against you. Then again, I can understand how you feel. Trust me, its better that the thread got locked.

As for highlighting the ugliness in CS. Yes, I do notice it too. I guess its because you picked on a particular thread to illustrate this instead of picking a few threads to illustrate (which would show a general trend of this sort of behaviour), hence you get this sort of reaction.

I am sure legal action happens all the time. For my case, I only threaten legal action to people who steal my pics. ;)

espn said:
Now Ben, Steven, you tell me lor, should I bother about such people even in the first place? I try to avoid them but they must come and try to start a potential war.

Yeah it happens. Sometimes just turn the other cheek. I just felt that the thread was going nowhere and was just becoming another useless post.;p Worst, it might show an ugly side of the posters whom I think are not really like that in person.

I dunno, mods are not omnipresent I guess. They are humans afterall.

cyber_m0nkey said:
Does anyone talk about photography here anymore?
Yes, still do, just that seem to have more flame, and quite some people enjoying it lately, which make it seem like a very popular thread and mask other photography threads. :sweat:

In every community or forums there will be conflicts and disagreement. How it gets resolved shows how mature or civil the community is. Yes, CS is about photography and we all do talk nonsense in kopitiam, but lets not have too many flame wars and name callings. :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
think we need another photoaid to bring brudders together for a common cause instead of such trival arguements...

Yeah! Good idea!:)

I'm making some bold statements here...

Is it bcos Sporeans jiak ba very eng so find menial things to do? I'm also Sporeans so when I say this I'm applying it to myself.

I dunno man.. From what I see, we live in a small island, things so competitive, everything must be instant and fast, and sometimes, I feel we lose the appreciation of the finer though simple things in life. It also means our tempers flare for the wrong reasons very easily.

Even in MRTs, we commonly see time anda gain people rushing in, not giving way, and still got the cheek to say Tsk tsk or complain and complain! Or road rage, overtaking, horning, etc etc. What's the rush really??? Recent Reader's Digest poll also found Sporeans one of the lousiest in terms of helping others in need in public.

I think maybe bocs over here it's so small (and sometimes really boring to me) we try to find things to do. Frankly other than the usual weddings, model shoots and the countless macro shots of spiders and insects, what else is there to shoot in Spore? So maybe once in a while, we poke our noses into something else, even very minor what-is-there-to-argue stuffs. Unlike most other ang moh photo websites (yes arguments arise but usually fewer and on real issues) people discuss photo techniques and help each other with questions. Over here, what your neighbor do or say affects you. That's why I am replying to this post which of course isn't really my business! Ha...

It's a pity cos a smaller community should rightly mean we live in a cosy envronment where help could easily be rendered to each other. But usually, it can turn ugly cos we step on each other's toes all too easily.

Everyone must have heard of "The story of Ah Q"....
CS is like that dog ....:think:

espn said:

I think this has gone on long enough. Let nobody talk about being the wronged party or being the victim. This is directed to everyone involved. ESPN, Wind30, Teckyy et al.

This is really simple. You do not like what is happening here, then may i suggest you learn how to use the "Ignore" function. Alternatively, may i suggest you say whatever you wish to say to each other via PM. Why make it drag it out in public and then claim that everyone is being a busybody?

But if all else fails and you think you really cannot get along with certain people within this community, then i would request that you leave peacefully.

There is no need to be the first to stir the pot, and then claim to be the victim or have people who are not involved jumping in to defend one party or the other. Let them deal with it themselves. There is also no point in trying to share your 2 cents when you do not understand the background of the entire dispute.

I have no wish to see anymore of this childish or petty name calling and anyone playing the victim or being the agressor. There is NO place in this forum for such behavoir. It will not be tolerated.

Last i re-called, this is a photography forum still. Lets move on already.

Status
Not open for further replies.