Somethings to note for newbies after buying new camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankies

Jan 18, 2002
NTU
geocities.com
Hope that more people will contribute.

Guide for newbies version 1.02. Written by newbie, in newbie language!

1. If you are buying screen protection, please buy cheapo ones. Those which are thin, and not those matt thich ones as they tend to distort your LCD images.

2. UV filter is to protect your lense from dirt and possibly harmful sunrays. Anyway, a cheap UV filter cost around $10 bucks. You will need an adaptor ring to use the UV filter if your lens thread is not the same as the filter.

3. Never store your batteries in your camera for long period of time. One of our fellow forum spent an hefty sum repairing his camera after the acidic liquid from the battery leaked out.

4. Cheap cheap tripods (poor quality but good enuff for me) are at carrefour!!! $16.90

Thats all for now. Please correct me if am am wrong.

Any guidelines or recommendations for a cheap and decent cleaning kit? :)

how should the Li-Ion batteries be stored? Fully discharged, fully charged or doesn't matter?

Lens Cleaning kit can be purchased from CP or AP. Lens Tissue are used to clean the lens after heavy usage, try avoiding cleaning the lens too often.

Store the li-ion in a dry area, keeping it cool and out of the camera when not in use.

I don't even dare to touch the lens... so I only clean the filter front. and the lens looks ok to me at the moment....

1. If using UV / Skylight filters for protection, make sure you get high quality good ones. Hoya HMC are decent. B+W and Heliopan ones are even better, but more expensive. Don't buy the cheapest you can find. Why buy a good camera with good CCD and good lens and spoil it with a cheapo filter ?

2. When cleaning the lens, blow with a blower, then use a soft brush to remove dust before using a good quality microfibre cloth to clean it. You can use cleaning fluid ( careful ) or just huff on the lens before wiping; huffing causes moisture ( NOT SALIVA ) to condense on the lens. Since this is air from your lungs, it is very clean and safe ( unless you were smoking :) Wipe the lens in a circular motion from the center outwards. This avoids leaving a tiny heap of dust in the center of the lens.

3. Make a list of things to bring so that you will never forget anything. Make 2 lists : a compact minimalist list for travelling light, and a full blown list for heavy-duty photo-taking. Always bring a spare battery, small cleaning kit, extra film ( for non-digicams ) or extra CF card, and of course, the camera.

4. Buy a small table top or clamp tripod for times when you cannot or do not want to bring a big tripod. At less than $20, it's a good investment.

5. If your camera bag is not waterproof, bring a small plastic bag with you. If it looks like it's going to rain heavily, stuff your camera into the plastic bag before putting it into your camera bag. It might save your camera's life.

6. Don't take photos of people who look like they will kill you. They just might.

7. Don't take photos of women in "sensitive" positions, or you might get arrested for outrage of modesty.

8. Most lenses perform relatively poorly at its biggest aperture. Keep this in mind, and test your camera to find if this is true for yours.

That should do it for now.

Why is it not advisable to not clean the len too often?

Originally posted by espn
Lens Cleaning kit can be purchased from CP or AP. Lens Tissue are used to clean the lens after heavy usage, try avoiding cleaning the lens too often.

Originally posted by cy6ex
Why is it not advisable to not clean the len too often?

the more u clean it, the easier it get scratched... ;) usually use blower is enough unless so unlucky u get a thumbnail print on it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.