Somethings Gone Wrong - Negative to Jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle taz

Dec 12, 2002
Tanah Merah
Allo,
just came back from reservist to discover my first set of photos from me new f80 ready for collection.

anyway, straight to the point, here are the facts:
-2 rolls of fuji superia 400 take with nikon f80 + 50mm 1.4
-developed at colour lab in adelphi
-photos turned out very rich and well.....errr, but content wise....oh well lol.

-problem is i asked them to burn a copy into a cdrom,
but when i look using acdsee or even their inbuilt fuji viewer, the photos look scratchy? with white dots here and there, even normal daytime shots
-anyone noes why?
damn sad, my digi pic not nice.

cheers,
tt.

Check your negs. Are they scratched? If not, I think its down to poor scanning by the shop. Most likely the person who did the scans did not activate the dust-removal function on the film scanner (functions like ICE which takes longer to scan).

If it were me, I'd take the CD and negs back and request for a rescan... after all, you did pay good money and they did not deliver their service!!!

Originally posted by turtle taz
Allo,
just came back from reservist to discover my first set of photos from me new f80 ready for collection.

anyway, straight to the point, here are the facts:
-2 rolls of fuji superia 400 take with nikon f80 + 50mm 1.4
-developed at colour lab in adelphi
-photos turned out very rich and well.....errr, but content wise....oh well lol.

but when i look using acdsee or even their inbuilt fuji viewer, the photos look scratchy? with white dots here and there, even normal daytime shots
-anyone noes why?

cheers,
tt.

Are your prints ok? If so, probably it is due to bad scanning that you get poor JPEGs. Maybe you can ask for a re-scan??

okie thanks....i'll go down and try a re scan.

cheers,
tt

Originally posted by turtle taz
-anyone noes why?

cheers,
tt.

I had the same experience. The scans came out with scratches and dots and a colour cast although the prints were ok.

Needed the images quickly, so went home and did the corrections and healing by myself.

Keep us updated on the results of the rescan.

From your description, I hapzard a guess that:

1. Dots: Oversharpening by the shop.
2. Scratches: The ones I have encountered are the really obvious, through-the-whole frame kind of machine scratch. It seems to me for your case does not fall in this category.

I am guessing they do use some kind of ICE-equivalent process during scanning, and for your case, like Szennyboy said, they forgot to activate it.

Originally posted by igpenguin
From your description, I hapzard a guess that:

1. Dots: Oversharpening by the shop.
2. Scratches: The ones I have encountered are the really obvious, through-the-whole frame kind of machine scratch. It seems to me for your case does not fall in this category.

I am guessing they do use some kind of ICE-equivalent process during scanning, and for your case, like Szennyboy said, they forgot to activate it.

Actually the sharpening is targetted for printing, which requires a higher sharpening level than screen viewing. So when viewed on screen at 100%, one can see a lot of grain and all. But when printed even up to 8R, it disappears.

Regards
CK

my scanner has died so i can't post the original,
but will post the jpeg scanned by the shop once i find some time this week.

just so y'all can have a looksee ya.

cheers,
tt.

Status
Not open for further replies.