Something wrong with my camera. Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYNx3

May 10, 2007
As stated above, there is something wrong with my camera. But I don't know whats the problem. There seem to be a 'dust' or 'UFO' in my pictures because the speck appears randomly. Pictures are needed to help some of you understand, so here you go.
[Sorry for the lousy photos. Still in the process of growing from a baby photographer to a toddler one :D]

#1. This is the first picture I encountered this dust in my photo. Look at the right hand side of the picture. There seem to be this line curving downwards.
D70s + Kit lens
DSC_3550CS.jpg

Some of you might think it is a bird or something flying pass, but how can that be, since the exposure was f22 at 20 seconds :/ Wouldn't the flying subject be blurred?
At first I thought it was nothing because my other pictures taken with the D70s and kit lens on the actual day with NO removal of the lens at all, the 'dust' did not appear.

DSC_3571CS.jpg

DSC_3503CS.jpg

No 'dust' in the photo

Then again, I took some photos before and during the school teachers' day celebration yesterday, the 'dust' did not appear.

#4 D70s + 50mm f1.4
DSC_3811CS.jpg

#5 D70s + 50mm f1.4
DSC_4150CS.jpg

#6 D70s + Kit lens
DSC_3915CS.jpg

No problem so far..

Until yesterday's night, i took this blurred shot of the moon. Pardon the overblown moon. Still leaning :p

#7 D70s + Nikkor 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 [Yes I know it's an old lens. Haha]
DSC_4220CS.jpg

See, the dust appeared again. This shows that there is nothing wrong with the CCD. I did not clean or try to blow off the dust on the CCD. The CCD was untouched.

So overall, not all pictures taken with the same lens had that 'dust'.

1.So there was no problem with the kit lens. But the 300mm produced this result too. Which means, is it really the CCD problem?
2. Or is it the 300mm? If it's the 300mm, why did the kit lens produce this result too? :dunno:

AHHHH! Help needed ):

Nothing wrong with the camera. Just a loose dust on the sensor or on the lense. Check your lense.
Check the camera by removing the lens and take a shot. If the spot exist it will show on the sensor.
My humble opinion.

Nothing wrong with the camera. Just a loose dust on the sensor or on the lense. Check your lense.
Check the camera by removing the lens and take a shot. If the spot exist it will show on the sensor.
My humble opinion.

But if it is the lens, why did the dust not appear on the other pictures, but on another shot where i used the 300mm, a different lens? :(

i think the dust will appear when u shoot with f6, f8 + +

dust can move around too, you know

but you mention that the dust only appears when you shoot with 300mm?

then the 300mm is the problem. check the front and rear element of the 300mm

But how did it move from the kit lens to the 300mm, at exact spot?

oh chey

if it appears on different lenses at the exact spot

then it is the sensor, i read wrongly

as to why it didn't appear on fireworks, it's because your fireworks are so messy, it is probably hidden somewhere in the mess and can't be seen

despite you not touching the sensor, dust can get in, firstly your camera is never airtight, and when you change lenses wherever, there is always a chance that the dust will reach your ccd, since your ccd attracts dust when it is turned on

oh chey

if it appears on different lenses at the exact spot

then it is the sensor, i read wrongly

as to why it didn't appear on fireworks, it's because your fireworks are so messy, it is probably hidden somewhere in the mess and can't be seen

despite you not touching the sensor, dust can get in, firstly your camera is never airtight, and when you change lenses wherever, there is always a chance that the dust will reach your ccd, since your ccd attracts dust when it is turned on

But then again, look at picture 3. The silhoutte. The dust is not there, D70s Kit lens same day. :dunno:

here's the way to check whether it's the sensor, use 2 different lenses
find a white wall, or white surface, or a uniform coloured part of the sky without clouds or with all clouds
set to f/22 and above
expose to about +0.5 using in cam metering

if it is the sensor, you will get that dust thing in both shots
i would think it is the sensor, because you got the dust with 2 differnet lenses

But then again, look at picture 3. The silhoutte. The dust is not there, D70s Kit lens same day. :dunno:

what f stop?

no such thing as alien la
even though this is 7th month no ghosts would want to haunt you

hello brother
f/5

dust usually becomes apparent with apertures of f/8 and larger f-stop
the reasoning is dof

hello brother
f/5

dust usually becomes apparent with apertures of f/8 and larger f-stop
the reasoning is dof

Hello I am a 15 yo young mei mei can ): Yes it is f5. So you mean the dust is on the CCD, but only appear on f8 or f9 and above? Sorry I'm dumb haha ):

Hello I am a 15 yo young mei mei can ): Yes it is f5. So you mean the dust is on the CCD, but only appear on f8 or f9 and above? Sorry I'm dumb haha ):

hahaha relax it's just that you're new
die la, now you announce you are xmm all the people will come and help you already

ok dust is on the ccd, it is very near to your capturing surface, yes?
if you are taking at small f-stop, you know that the dof is shallower right? that's why your cat looks so cute, if everything in focus not so cute already. so at small f-stop, your dust would be through into out-of-focus, you won't see it so apparent. more like a smudge. i think if you look at your silhouette photo in the same area you can see a darker similar shaped area. look closer and you'll get what i mean.
but you take at larger f-stop, the depth of field is increased and this would include the stuff in front of the sensor, so your dust becomes more apparent and more solid in form, like in the photos where it appears clearly.

of course when the dust is on the dark areas of the photo, not much exposure in that area so it will just blend in with the dark areas

hope you get what i mean

anyways, cleaning sensor is very easy la, i do it myself, just need to be brave and calm

Yeah I got it. It's confirmed on the CCD, since all 3 lenses I just tested with on white surface with f.10 and up has the dust there. Thanks night86mare :bsmilie: My daddy will clean for me la haha. He is very good in these things. Anyway that is not my cat. Haha it's a stray I see everymorning when I go to school She's so friendly she will come to you and rub her body on your legs lor. She likes to lick my knee also don't know why. But when she lie down then you touch her belly she will scratch you like playtime. Haha. Very cute :D Will try to chew your hand also. Painless. Haha.

Try setting on bulb mode. Press the shutter. Use the blower, and keep blowing at the sensor.
It will help to remove the dust. Make sure the blower tip is at least faraway from the shutter.

Try setting on bulb mode. Press the shutter. Use the blower, and keep blowing at the sensor.
It will help to remove the dust.

Yeah. Haha thanks!

Yeah I got it. It's confirmed on the CCD, since all 3 lenses I just tested with on white surface with f.10 and up has the dust there. Thanks night86mare :bsmilie: My daddy will clean for me la haha. He is very good in these things. Anyway that is not my cat. Haha it's a stray I see everymorning when I go to school She's so friendly she will come to you and rub her body on your legs lor. She likes to lick my knee also don't know why. But when she lie down then you touch her belly she will scratch you like playtime. Haha. Very cute :D Will try to chew your hand also. Painless. Haha.

hahaha lick your knee, must be you eat breakfast and drop stuff on your knee :bsmilie:

well i'm sure it'll be fine, especially if your dad has the know-how in this area

browsed through your gallery, there are some pretty good shots! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.