Something interesting about ships near Singapore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbs99

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Revealed: The ghost fleet of the recession
By Simon Parry

The biggest and most secretive gathering of ships in maritime history lies at anchor east of Singapore. Never before photographed, it is bigger than the U.S. and British navies combined but has no crew, no cargo and no destination - and is why your Christmas stocking may be on the light side this year

article-1212013-06435781000005DC-710_634x403.jpg

Continue reading here...

There are 2 anchorages like this West / East, just as big, why do they park there, simple it costs NOTHING and is classified as international waters and no mans land. These areas have been there for years. Many ships that have undergone refitting or repairs park there or awaiting delivery after construction.

Costs nothing. Many years ago at West Jurong Anchorage, there were hundreds of boats, rigs all shapes and sizes parked there, waiting for work, or getting repairs.

For over 8 years in the 90's I used to do repair work out there for oil companies on rigs. When Singapore started to develop all the oil terminals, develop Tuas further all the ships, rigs had to move. At anyone time in the 90's at WJA there would be over 200 ships rigs parked out there. So this is nothing new to people within the business.

Some of the boats out there are actually working, some are oil blend tankers, which blend special brews, outside all the regulations.

As stated in some of the comments, the night sky is nothing new, its just been shifted from the 80/90's.

Cheers ...

i think it is an issue of over supply of sea transports, when economy is good, everyone build ships to make money, as demand goes down, this is what happens.

cool shot. Thanks for sharing... yeah, when i take the night flight back to SG, i always wondered abt the ships...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.