Not sure about installing the patch - he says that the increase in speed is from making firefox make multiple requests to the same server concurrently.
If this is the case, you don't need to install this foreign exe (I know I'm a little paranoid). You can do this instead
0. Open a new firefox tab/window
1. Type "about:config" in the address field.
2. Set the value of network.http.pipelining to "true".
3. Set the value of network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to "50".
4. Set the value of network.http.proxy.pipelining to "true"
Well, I"ve downloaded mine from http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/, not the official built, but the optimized version for P4 and P(m)...hehehehe... probably there are some differences?... I took the Branch Built instead of the Trunk built... dunno whatsoever reason, the Trunk Built doesn't work and is giving me weird errors... anyone wanna enlighten me?
Yeah, it looks like the preference setting for nglayout.initialpaint.delay is not displayed in the newer versions (if you've installed an older version and done an upgrade, it will still be there), just right click on the preferences list and select New->Integer and create a setting for it.