Something decision to make and dust in camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkSide

Dec 7, 2007
Hi,
Everytime when i look into my D40 view finder, i could see 2 spots and a bristle. However, my pictures does not turn out that there are dust. I try to use a blower on my D40 sensor but it does not work. I tried to clean my lens, it does not work either.

Shld i send to NSC to clean?

Am thinking of upgrading from D40 to D80. What are some consideration?

THANKS BROs!

Hi,
Everytime when i look into my D40 view finder, i could see 2 spots and a bristle. However, my pictures does not turn out that there are dust. I try to use a blower on my D40 sensor but it does not work. I tried to clean my lens, it does not work either.

THANKS BROs!

you're thinking of upgrading because of the dust? woah. haha or did i misunderstand. D80 is quite a leap up from the D40, so i say go for it :) if you've outgrown your D40 of course. otherwise i'd rather spend the money on a good lens.

you're thinking of upgrading because of the dust? woah. haha or did i misunderstand. D80 is quite a leap up from the D40, so i say go for it :) if you've outgrown your D40 of course. otherwise i'd rather spend the money on a good lens.

Haa.. Obviously not bro. :) The reason for me to jump into D80 is abt the quality and the price has dropped alot. Other than that, not sure if there other consideration that i sld have done before jumping into D80.
Sometime i thought, i shld have gotten D80 instead of D40. Anyway, juz got a 55-200mm VR not long ago.. Wanted to try wide angle too.. ;)

Haa.. Obviously not bro. :) The reason for me to jump into D80 is abt the quality and the price has dropped alot. Other than that, not sure if there other consideration that i sld have done before jumping into D80.
Sometime i thought, i shld have gotten D80 instead of D40. Anyway, juz got a 55-200mm VR not long ago.. Wanted to try wide angle too.. ;)

hmmm my honest opinion then is to skip the D80. It has rather visible iso problems at iso 1000 and up. I've heard that the D90 (the D80 sequel) is coming out soon, and it should be a great improvement over the D80. (heard it from shop owners in Funan, like samuel from john 3:16 and the guys in Alan Photo)

WAH your statement " reason for me to jump into D80 is abt the quality and the price has dropped alot." broke my heart. i just bought my D80 a while ago. :cry:

you should try playing with a D80 and see if you prefer it :)

hmmm my honest opinion then is to skip the D80. It has rather visible iso problems at iso 1000 and up. I've heard that the D90 (the D80 sequel) is coming out soon, and it should be a great improvement over the D80. (heard it from shop owners in Funan, like samuel from john 3:16 and the guys in Alan Photo)

WAH your statement " reason for me to jump into D80 is abt the quality and the price has dropped alot." broke my heart. i just bought my D80 a while ago. :cry:

you should try playing with a D80 and see if you prefer it :)

Haa.. Sorry bro to broke your heart. Hmm, since the D90 is going to be out soon, shld I wait for it? Haa.. Not really have a lot of photographer friends around to play with their camera.
What is your view on D80? How long have you bought it? How much was it then?

THX bro :D!

Hi,

THANKS BROs!

My viewfinder also have dust, so does many of my friends. Think no need to spend $$ to clean as long as it's not affecting your shots.

Haa.. Sorry bro to broke your heart. Hmm, since the D90 is going to be out soon, shld I wait for it? Haa.. Not really have a lot of photographer friends around to play with their camera.
What is your view on D80? How long have you bought it? How much was it then?

THX bro :D!

haha i would advise waiting for it since you have a D40 to tide you over till then :)

i think the D80 is a great camera BUT its getting old, and there are so many better alternatives out there. the iso issue really bugs me since i do shoot in low lighting conditions quite a bit. hmm i bought it about 3 months ago, the nikon sale thing. i bargained in alot of other crap so i don't know the actual price haha.

My viewfinder also have dust, so does many of my friends. Think no need to spend $$ to clean as long as it's not affecting your shots.

Thx bro. You make me feel alot better. :) The reason why I would like to clean is because if i am getting D80-90, will be selling my D40. Therefore, to allow the buyer to hav a ease of mind, i dun mind throwing in a free NSC cleaning before selling. By doing so, i will be paying for it as i dun wan to fill my warrenty card. do you think it is a stupid idea? :confused:

haha i would advise waiting for it since you have a D40 to tide you over till then :)

i think the D80 is a great camera BUT its getting old, and there are so many better alternatives out there. the iso issue really bugs me since i do shoot in low lighting conditions quite a bit. hmm i bought it about 3 months ago, the nikon sale thing. i bargained in alot of other crap so i don't know the actual price haha.

Haa.. Thanks alot bro. You bargained at the IT Show? Long time never excersise my bargaining skill. ;p Think it will be better for me to wait for D90. Anyone have any idea when D90 will be out?

Cheers!

Thx bro. You make me feel alot better. :) The reason why I would like to clean is because if i am getting D80-90, will be selling my D40. Therefore, to allow the buyer to hav a ease of mind, i dun mind throwing in a free NSC cleaning before selling. By doing so, i will be paying for it as i dun wan to fill my warrenty card. do you think it is a stupid idea? :confused:

Haa.. Thanks alot bro. You bargained at the IT Show? Long time never excersise my bargaining skill. ;p Think it will be better for me to wait for D90. Anyone have any idea when D90 will be out?

Cheers!

Don't you need to show your receipt along with your warranty card? which means taht whether you fill it or not it doesn't matter?

haha no i bargained at Alan Photo.

viewfinder dust very common, doesn't really affect your pictures at all, even when shooting.

consider the fact that d80 is relatively old, noise handling might not be as good as the d40 as well.

viewfinder dust very common, doesn't really affect your pictures at all, even when shooting.

consider the fact that d80 is relatively old, noise handling might not be as good as the d40 as well.

i can't rmb and i'm too lazy to check, but isn't the D40 about as old as the D80? From what i've seen from my friend's D40 and my D80, the noise issue is just as bad on bodies. haha

i can't rmb and i'm too lazy to check, but isn't the D40 about as old as the D80? From what i've seen from my friend's D40 and my D80, the noise issue is just as bad on bodies. haha

no. d80 is definitely before d40, i think it is in between d50/d70 and d40/d40x period. but you are right, it should be pretty close.

in any case.. same size sensor, same era.. lesser megapixels - unless nikon had goofed up the internal processing, it is literally impossible that the noise handling for d40 is inferior or equal to the d80. it will at least be marginally better.

wait for the new cam will be a better choice, otherwise u regret buying after D90 is out.

btw i have dust in VF all the time... doesnt affect the pic but see liao buay song... i understand that...

i ever spend over 100+ to change the prism because i try to clean it on my own and scratch it... heehee that my fault, so dont try it yourself.

wait for the new cam will be a better choice, otherwise u regret buying after D90 is out.

btw i have dust in VF all the time... doesnt affect the pic but see liao buay song... i understand that...

i ever spend over 100+ to change the prism because i try to clean it on my own and scratch it... heehee that my fault, so dont try it yourself.

WAH how you scratch it? yeah i've got a smear on my viewfinder/pentaprism as well. it irritates the heck out of me.

the noise performance on the d40 at 1600 is better than d80 at 1600.
my friend with his d80 cap his max iso at 800 while i cap it at 1600 with the d40.

if noise is an issue then wait for d90.

there's some dirt in my VF but since it doesn't affect the pics, i just leave it alone.
internal cleaning must pay money one even with warranty.

Last edited:
the noise performance on the d40 at 1600 is better than d80 at 1600.
my friend with his d80 cap his max iso at 800 while i cap it at 1600 with the d40.

if noise is an issue then wait for d90.

there's some dirt in my VF but since it doesn't affect the pics, i just leave it alone.
internal cleaning must pay money one even with warranty.

really? i got my sensor cleaned at NSC under warranty...

really? i got my sensor cleaned at NSC under warranty...

sensor cleaning and VF internal cleaning is different one...don't believe can call nikon tech support to ask.
sensor cleaning while still under warranty is free.
most of the time simple dust on sensor is be clean easily by using a blower.

Last edited:
Are you buying new or used? If used, you can consider to get a D200.

Somehow the weather sealing actually translated to lesser dust on my sensor and viewfinder as compared to D70.

sensor cleaning and VF internal cleaning is different one...don't believe can call nikon tech support to ask.
sensor cleaning while still under warranty is free.
most of the time simple dust on sensor is be clean easily by using a blower.

haha whoops i forgot we were refering to VF internal cleaning. aye aye that one not free.

no. d80 is definitely before d40, i think it is in between d50/d70 and d40/d40x period. but you are right, it should be pretty close.

in any case.. same size sensor, same era.. lesser megapixels - unless nikon had goofed up the internal processing, it is literally impossible that the noise handling for d40 is inferior or equal to the d80. it will at least be marginally better.

Thx night86mare. Now i noe D80 is before D40. Then it is better for me to wait.

Haa.. Thank u for your advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.