Something all new photographers should read

Status
Not open for further replies.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
Link

Then maybe we will have less pissed off professionals, and less unhappy events in our lives. I've heard of a few instances where the worst case scenario happened, and I know that for myself, I'm happy with declining every offer that comes my way, paid or not.

Once you start saying yes, it's very hard to stop saying no, and I think I should be more responsible than that. It isn't just about doing favours, nor about honing your skills. Sometimes, especially for weddings, the couple only gets one chance, YOU only get one chance, are you confident enough to ensure that you will produce something good enough for them?

Link

Then maybe we will have less pissed off professionals, and less unhappy events in our lives. I've heard of a few instances where the worst case scenario happened, and I know that for myself, I'm happy with declining every offer that comes my way, paid or not.

Once you start saying yes, it's very hard to stop saying no, and I think I should be more responsible than that. It isn't just about doing favours, nor about honing your skills. Sometimes, especially for weddings, the couple only gets one chance, YOU only get one chance, are you confident enough to ensure that you will produce something good enough for them?

:thumbsup:

Thank you for your link
a lesson learned

Someone had once said, "Digital system u think u can shoot wrong, erase and retake? WRONG! There's only 1-hit-1-kill on wedding day."

Till now, maybe I had inherited his quirks cos it will irk me pretty much if someone just say, "Take salah never mind, erase or retake/photoshop away. Digital mah."

Different in Sg lah. Here, I dun tink most couples can't even tell the output from a DSLR compared to P&S. Can get the shot can liao.:thumbsup:

Someone had once said, "Digital system u think u can shoot wrong, erase and retake? WRONG! There's only 1-hit-1-kill on wedding day."

Till now, maybe I had inherited his quirks cos it will irk me pretty much if someone just say, "Take salah never mind, erase or retake/photoshop away. Digital mah."

all too true...too many people use PS as a crutch...

I think this " Suggest that the couple still select a competent professional photographer" is more suitable as we all have heard of complaints of jobs done by professional photographers and videographers.

There are people who shoot a lot of photos like GPMG, like dat sure wun miss one.

Now every Tom Dick and harry is a wedding photographer. Thanks to digital.

Not really lah.. wedding photograhers need to have a passion of weddings so the emotions are conveyed in the images.

Me? I hate weddings, so a wedding photographer I am not - even for all the money in the world. :bsmilie:

thats why i refuse to shoot weddings! i'll only double up as a secondary photog as i'm not a professional photog myself

Anyone can be an anything photographer.

Whether good or not, is another question altogether. :bsmilie:

Anyone can be an anything photographer.

Whether good or not, is another question altogether. :bsmilie:

Photography is an art. So criticisms are subjective. To me, my photos are good. :bsmilie:

Photography is an art. So criticisms are subjective. To me, my photos are good. :bsmilie:

Nonetheless, I believe there is distinguishing to be made between art, if not technically the photographs taken by a monkey would be considered to be penultimate - by himself.

Art - good or bad, what you say is not wrong. But whether it is acceptable in the eyes of majority as art proper - whether what you think is accurate in terms of everyone else, or most of everyone else is another thing altogether.

Else, Steven Lim would be a celebrity based on his ego-driven-self already.

I'm sure you know what I mean, grin.

Nonetheless, I believe there is distinguishing to be made between art, if not technically the photographs taken by a monkey would be considered to be penultimate - by himself.

I don't think penultimate means what you think it does...

There are people who shoot a lot of photos like GPMG, like dat sure wun miss one.

haha...me me...2399 shots in 4hours...process and deliver photo the same day at night...

thanks for sharing the link, nightmare. i feel that the above would apply to a more specific area of photography, though some points can be brought across to different areas of it.

here is something more general, that i really think all should read. especially here in clubsnap.

"As a young guy I'm just getting started in the world of photography, I am simply awestruck by your work. In my search for the specific type of photography that I want to pursue, I find myself repeatedly returning to your site. While browsing all of the popular photography sites, I've noticed a trend. Many sites give overwhelming attention to all of the new photographic technology and very little to technique. I have had my fill of technical information and I am more informed because of it. However I do not feel that it has made me a better photographer in the least.

I'm contacting you because I believe your experience and talented eye could be of great benefit to me. I already have a Canon Digital Rebel and a few nice lenses. I plan to get a good tripod and ballhead soon, as well as a custom-made focusing screen with a split-prism focusing aid. I am skilled in the operation of the camera and lenses. When the chips are down, however, things get pretty bad. My photos are in focus and correctly exposed. They are also sharpened, white-balanced and colour-corrected. The photos are technically correct, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint there is something missing.

How do I learn to take beautiful photographs? There is no lack of subject matter. There is only lack of vision. This is why I've contacted you. How do I find vision?"

– Anon: September, 2004
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/learning-to-see.shtml

i hope everyone benefits from the sharing of these articles. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.