Something about the weather at where I am...

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
I owned the DS-80 telescope and for 6 weeks, and there were only 2 clear nights during that 6 weeks.

The day I returned the scope, the sky cleared up, and stayed clear every night for 1 and a half weeks.

Today my new scope arrived, and it is raining out there right now.

:( ;( :cry:

I do believe there's a line in Gump, Forrest Gump:

"Sh*t happens" .

It's never bright and sunny on weekends or when i'm on leave. Only when i'm stuck at the office.

rOCh

Valuable commodity that telescope of yours. Send it off to Africa, I hear they have shortages of rain...

Originally posted by Jed
Valuable commodity that telescope of yours. Send it off to Africa, I hear they have shortages of rain...

I think they should hire roy there as Scope Tester... so everytime he changes a scope it rains...

Originally posted by roygoh
I owned the DS-80 telescope and for 6 weeks, and there were only 2 clear nights during that 6 weeks.

The day I returned the scope, the sky cleared up, and stayed clear every night for 1 and a half weeks.

:( ;( :cry:
Funny Singapore weather, I caught rain couple times during my weekend outings. The two weeks ago I decided to buy small umbrella and I stuff it into my camera back.....but these last two weekends never rain (at my place at least).
Life so unpredictable always caught us when we are not prepared....

Originally posted by kongg
Roy, wat brand is the telescope??How much did u bought it for??Btw, does it have a adapter to mount SLR cameras onto it??

Hi Kongg,

Meade ETX90 RA. This is a discontinued model. Meade is only selling ETX-90 EC with the electronic controller, but that costs US$475.

US$189 including shipping.

It has a flip mirror design. Eyepiece mount is perpendicular to the main optical tube, and a separate attachement for a T-adapter is on the end of the tube. Flipping the mirror selects either eyepiece or camera viewing. Optical design is Maksutov-Cassegrain (hope I got the spelling right). 90mm diameter, F13.8, FL 1250mm. Pretty small aperture for a 1250mm reflector, but the strong point is in its portability.

I am using William Optics DCL-28 eyepiece with 28mm thread that attaches directly to my CP995 like a filter.

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh

it is NORMAL...this is aka a curse for new telescope

guess what...i own the LX-90 for many weeks but only 2-3 days have stars visible (but the sky still not very clear) and those r the day i manage to shoot the jupiters and saturn

now the scope is not with me...and the sky are clear everyday ;( :( :cry:

Originally posted by Wai

it is NORMAL...this is aka a curse for new telescope

guess what...i own the LX-90 for many weeks but only 2-3 days have stars visible (but the sky still not very clear) and those r the day i manage to shoot the jupiters and saturn

now the scope is not with me...and the sky are clear everyday ;( :( :cry:

Did you have to specially import the LX-90 or are there places in Singapore that sell it? How much did you pay for it, including all the accessories?

The price over here is about US$1700. That's way over budget for me, who is just a newbie in astronomy and astrophotography.

Got the ETX-90 yesterday, and it is so..oo...oo cute!

However, today is still cloudy. Only got a chance to take a look at the houses around my place through the scope. images are very sharp and better than the DS-80 that I returned. However, the brightness seems a little lower than the DS-80.

I bought a BB gun reflex sight. Read a lot on the web about how such sights are better than the lousy finder scopes that come with the telescope. Instead of sqinting and straining my neck trying to look thriught the finder scope, with this sight I just look through it with both eyes open, and align the red dot with the object I want to see. The sight only cost $14.90 from Walmart.

- Roy

Originally posted by Jed

Valuable to me, but problably not worth a spit by the standards of the experienced astro-photographers here. At US$189 it is quite a steal.

Africa? Maybe I go there with my telescope the rain will be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.