Something about roti-prata

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongoose

Jan 24, 2004
Previously I ever heard this story about the Roti Prata man, here's what it involve; early one day, I was filling myself with these mouth watering plate of kosong roti-prata, dipped thouroughly with its curry, then I noticed this Prata man, while flipping and tossing his hand made prata, he seemed like in some sort of pain, outof the sudden, I saw him dashing straight to the toilet, after a few mins or so, he came out, seeing him so much relieved and happier, he somehow continued with his work. This is the important part, I begin to scrutinised him whether he had his hands wet or etc, and indeed, his hands were a bit wet, and he just rub it off with a piece of cloth available and start tossing away with his prata. Then I seriously begin to puke, because, I somehow begin to wandered in my mind, about his hands being used to do his prata and also his just accomplised "toilet" mission, plus, even worst, there was stains marking of yellowish on his sarong, which coincidentally resembled the curry too that I'm taking, oh really gosh, I just can't help myself from further suspicion, was that those argh err..."stuff" leftover from his toilet business or was it pure curry, I throw up as soon as I left the table and went to in a fluff. This encounter, I told myself, I will never try roti prata again...cos if you can distinguish the true "stains" of his curry or his stomache discharge???? plus not forgetting his "hands" and most common coffeeshop I believe doesn't provide ready liquid soap or etc and that particluar coffeeshop that I visited, simply lacks of such requisites.

Gee...do you ever have such a experience? and will this story ruin your appetite for Roti-Prata?

Sounds good to me, I am going to have some roti prata first thing tomorrow morning, the thicker the curry, the better it tastes.

BTW, you would be surprised if you have the chance to see what goes on in a kitchen at any food outlet, even those really high class ones. Maybe you should cook with your mum or wife at home everyday, and see for yourself how hygenic it can get.

P.S. I would like to add a few more comments for our paranoid friends to ponder over.

1. Have you seen how chicken is cut up when you eat your favourite chicken rice. The chicken gets chopped up, and the chopper is used to scoop up the pieces of chicken. In the process, the chopper actually scrapes of the surface of the wooden chopping board, and placed onto your plate.

2. How about that refreshing glass of sugar cane juice? This is an oldie, but a goodie. Ever seen how the long stalks of sugar cane is placed on the floor at the hawker centre, before it is cut into shorter pieces, where one end rests on the floor? Kinda makes you wonder that the sugar cane is actually absorbing all those dirty water/cat's urine/rat's urine/whatever makes you puke and later squeezed into that glass for your consumption.

3. What about your favourite char kuay teow? The hawker fries the char kuay teow so hard that he actually scraps off the surface of the wok each time he flips the noodles. Enuff said, you'll get the picture.

mongoose said:
Previously I ever heard this story about the Roti Prata man, here's what it involve; early one day, I was filling myself with these mouth watering plate of kosong roti-prata, dipped thouroughly with its curry, then I noticed this Prata man, while flipping and tossing his hand made prata, he seemed like in some sort of pain, outof the sudden, I saw him dashing straight to the toilet, after a few mins or so, he came out, seeing him so much relieved and happier, he somehow continued with his work. This is the important part, I begin to scrutinised him whether he had his hands wet or etc, and indeed, his hands were a bit wet, and he just rub it off with a piece of cloth available and start tossing away with his prata. Then I seriously begin to puke, because, I somehow begin to wandered in my mind, about his hands being used to do his prata and also his just accomplised "toilet" mission, plus, even worst, there was stains marking of yellowish on his sarong, which coincidentally resembled the curry too that I'm taking, oh really gosh, I just can't help myself from further suspicion, was that those argh err..."stuff" leftover from his toilet business or was it pure curry, I throw up as soon as I left the table and went to in a fluff. This encounter, I told myself, I will never try roti prata again...cos if you can distinguish the true "stains" of his curry or his stomache discharge???? plus not forgetting his "hands" and most common coffeeshop I believe doesn't provide ready liquid soap or etc and that particluar coffeeshop that I visited, simply lacks of such requisites.

Gee...do you ever have such a experience? and will this story ruin your appetite for Roti-Prata?

despite seeing those thailand road side hawkers having bad hygience.. i would still favour their stall.. why? becos it still taste gd... lolz...

whenever i go bangkok.. i will frequent a stall near patuwan.. they serve nice wan tan noodles.. however their hygience really suxs... having seen big rats along their stall.. nevertheless i will still go for them.. i frequent their stall abt 8 yrs liao.. and im still living alive..

its jus how ya going to adapt :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

aiyah....everywhere the same one lah.....just EAT and don't think so hard, or visit the kitchen dah..............during NS time i also ate lots of sand, mud, grease, oil when in field, where got luxury of using LUX soap to wash hand before eating? heheeee

mongoose said:

mongoose said:

Prata man got wear ring or not? :devil:

hahaha, i was thinking of having hawker food tomorrow morning, pork porridge, got any tales for these? :embrass:

Dunno any.. But i think after they boil one bowl of porridge, they dun wash right? so very soon, all that "slime" will turn into carbon. =x

An ex-colleague of mine found a piece of plaster with blood stain in her almost finished bowl of home made noodle. when she approached the vendor, she was told: "Sorry, this things happen, accident only . . . "

Heh! And to add... more urban legends on pratas:
There is this prata man who wears a ring on his finger. ANwyay, he just goes about making pratas. So this particular day, he has to go to the toilet for the usual "big business". And as per his custom he will need to wash it off instead of using the toilet paper. Guess what gets stuck between the ring and the finger!? :bigeyes:

And then he goes back to making his pratas... :bsmilie: :sweat:

This is not about prata but fish head curry...a hot favourite.
Few days back while having lunch at a kopitiam, heard the diners at the neighboring table talking loudly.Was curious and turned to see this guy holding up a fish hook about 3cm long in his fingers :what:
Seems that the hook was embedded into the fish head that was served to them. This guy had it in his mouth, and thinking it was a piece of bone, spat it out.
The stall owner was called and the whole situation was made into a joke. All had a good laugh and the dish was eventually finished.
Lucky for the stall owner the guy had a sense of humour.
Makes me think when I dive into my Fish head curry again. :sweat:

one my my bad experience is this, after my meal at a chinese tim sum restaurant, I went to the toilet. And I sawy this Kitchen guy, still with his plastic aprom on, he just flip aside the apron and pee-ed using the urinal, after that, he washed his hands and went back to the kithen........ :(

reading this thread is making me lose my appetite. :ipuke:

there's a dialect saying that goes something like: do not see, eat clean/hygenic.

horror tales abound on how sausages are made, chongqing hotpot contains parafin etc. practically about everything.

a chinese idiom: bing4 chong2 kou3 ru1 - ill health goes in through the mouth.

Parchiao said:
Sounds good to me, I am going to have some roti prata first thing tomorrow morning, the thicker the curry, the better it tastes.

BTW, you would be surprised if you have the chance to see what goes on in a kitchen at any food outlet, even those really high class ones. Maybe you should cook with your mum or wife at home everyday, and see for yourself how hygenic it can get.

P.S. I would like to add a few more comments for our paranoid friends to ponder over.

1. Have you seen how chicken is cut up when you eat your favourite chicken rice. The chicken gets chopped up, and the chopper is used to scoop up the pieces of chicken. In the process, the chopper actually scrapes of the surface of the wooden chopping board, and placed onto your plate.

2. How about that refreshing glass of sugar cane juice? This is an oldie, but a goodie. Ever seen how the long stalks of sugar cane is placed on the floor at the hawker centre, before it is cut into shorter pieces, where one end rests on the floor? Kinda makes you wonder that the sugar cane is actually absorbing all those dirty water/cat's urine/rat's urine/whatever makes you puke and later squeezed into that glass for your consumption.

3. What about your favourite char kuay teow? The hawker fries the char kuay teow so hard that he actually scraps off the surface of the wok each time he flips the noodles. Enuff said, you'll get the picture.

the roti prata issue really puts me off.. i just ate roti prata yesterday morning!
for the above post..
1. they dun wash the chopper board well too.. haha
2. the glasses are just dipped into soapy water and then dipped into clean water, tats how they wash them.. Even if u drink from the sides of the glass, you sometimes see lipstick stains! Or when the glasses are washed hours later, the juice/contents just stick to the inside of the glasses!
3. I have seen lots of black metal shavings on my char kway teow and I went to a bungalow which has a wok with the black metal easily scraped off..

Anyone know where to get the best prata in S'pore ?

I heard the one in Jln Kayu no longer that good.

Also, heard quite a few in Casuarina Road.

Appreciate if someone can tell me the address and the name of the shop.

PS : Yeah, I still wanna eat prata after reading this thread :D

THANKS !!!

germs are good for our body. builds up our immune system.

notice how some pets : eg dogs, cats, chinchillas sometimes eat their own **** everynow and then? its probably their way of boosting their immune system (I don't know how factually corrrect is this, but i remembered reading it some where)

i hope the example don't apply to us though...but thats how a lot of outbreaks and epidemics happen when we don't start digesting our waste from young to build up our immune system... ;p

Well just yesterday, I was at this stall, when the uncle (who owns the stall) show me a spoon which he was sorting (that was supposed to have been washed), but still have a big piece of seaweed (from the same stall) stuck to it. The uncle was grumbling about paying the washer (centralized washing) that is employed by the coffee shop.

I think the stall holders will tend to be slightly more careful in washing so that they don't get complain (affects their licence). However the worker employed by the coffee to wash for everyone, will probably be a little careless. And more and more coffee shops are using the latter.

Maybe should just do take away. (bring your own container, like when I was a kid).

rueyloon said:
one my my bad experience is this, after my meal at a chinese tim sum restaurant, I went to the toilet. And I sawy this Kitchen guy, still with his plastic aprom on, he just flip aside the apron and pee-ed using the urinal, after that, he washed his hands and went back to the kithen........ :(
So you rather he didn't wash his hands or he pee-ed in the kitchen? anyway most kitchen help who wear plastic aprons are not the ones who cook . . . maybe cuts up the ingredients or washes the dishes.

Belle&Sebastain said:
hahaha, i was thinking of having hawker food tomorrow morning, pork porridge, got any tales for these? :embrass:

I dun have tale for pork porridge but have tales for fried oyster eggs or called " Oh Lua". I was told by a friend that he witnessed at a hawker centre where he saw the next table just finished their fried oyster with some left over oysters still on the plate. The fried oyster seller on seeing it took back the plate and pour the remaining oysters back into his wok to continue his next plate of fried oyster eggs.

Cheers

Steven Tor

Status
Not open for further replies.