Something about 300D/ 50mm F1.8 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I've got this encounter jus now when i'm shooting in my room. it's fairly dark in my room and i'm using TV mode on my 300D. I set the shutter speed to 1/80 secs, ISO 100 and i half press to focus. The camera is able to focus but aperture value of F1.8 kept blinking. I checked my (Under/overexposed) meter and it's right at the middle meaning it indicated it's neither under or over exposed.

So my question is. Why is the aperture value blinking? I assume it's blinking to let me know that at the chosen shutter speed of 1/80 secs in TV mode, F1.8 is the widest aperture they can offer but the pic will still be underexposed but if that's case, why isnt the (Under/over) metering showing its underexposed?

at iso 100 and the lighting u have, that means under expose.

majere2sg said:
I thought for Tv, the exposure compensation you should adjust it yourself ?

hmmz.. but ultimately there shld still be a form of metering to tell you if it's underexposed if the camera isnt able to find the appropriate aperture to go along with the speed i set ? no?

pardon me,i seldom use TV mode.

ordinaryless said:
hmmz.. but ultimately there shld still be a form of metering to tell you if it's underexposed if the camera isnt able to find the appropriate aperture to go along with the speed i set ? no?

pardon me,i seldom use TV mode.

Your answers can be found in the instruction book.
If the lens maximum aperture blinks, it indicates underexposure, so you should adjust a slower shutter speed until the aperture display stop blinking. If the lens mininum aperture blinks, it indcates overexpsure, so you should adjust a faster shutter speed until the aperture display stop blinking

majere2sg said:
Your answers can be found in the instruction book.
If the lens maximum aperture blinks, it indicates underexposure, so you should adjust a slower shutter speed until the aperture display stop blinking. If the lens mininum aperture blinks, it indcates overexpsure, so you should adjust a faster shutter speed until the aperture display stop blinking

thank you :)

I think it's stated in the instruction book that for Tv mode if the aperature is blinking means for the speed you have selected, the max aperature on the lens is not enough to provide light as metered. The meter does not show under/over expose in both Tv and Av mode but you can set the default to + or-2. (Using the +Av button)
why i know? because i went thru the phase of shooting at my room too ha....just sharing.
anymore question you can pm me.

ptwong said:
I think it's stated in the instruction book that for Tv mode if the aperature is blinking means for the speed you have selected, the max aperature on the lens is not enough to provide light as metered. The meter does not show under/over expose in both Tv and Av mode but you can set the default to + or-2. (Using the +Av button)
why i know? because i went thru the phase of shooting at my room too ha....just sharing.
anymore question you can pm me.

Haha, very useful info you're provided indeed.. thank you for ya reply ptwong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.