Someone say 1D(S)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Lennier
Prices could indeed drop faster than expected.
Not that likely. The rumoured EOS 1Ds is aimed at a different segment of the market from the EOS 1D. Mainly those who don't need the speed but want better quality.

Originally posted by Edmund
Not that likely. The rumoured EOS 1Ds is aimed at a different segment of the market from the EOS 1D. Mainly those who don't need the speed but want better quality.

Look at it this way. With any new introduction of tech, prices of the "old tech" will inevitably start to drop. If Canon does come through with the 1Ds (or more importantly, full frame sensors), I'd expect consumers to push for such cameras with even greater fervour.

Kinda like how the D1 came out, and prices for DSLRs went downhill (and still are headed that way).

Hi

according to independent sources, Canon already has such a camera created last year.

There were 2 prototypes of the 1D - the one that is currently selling in stores everywhere with 9 fps, and the other, a 6 megapixel CMOS version with less fps which was field tested by a select few chosen by Canon.

Presumably Canon wanted to give priority to the pro sports and news shooters, and release the 1D first.

Nobody knows wat happened to the other prototype.

Originally posted by Red Dawn
There were 2 prototypes of the 1D - the one that is currently selling in stores everywhere with 9 fps, and the other, a 6 megapixel CMOS version with less fps which was field tested by a select few chosen by Canon.
I know I'm being fussy here.. but its 8fps, not 9fps.. :p

Won't be surprised if it's fitted with the foveon sensor...

Originally posted by willyfoo
Won't be surprised if it's fitted with the foveon sensor...

Actually i believe that is unlikely.

research work for a possible 1Ds to be released in September should have started way long ago last year, and there was actually a 6 megapixel CMOS prototype of the 1D tat was given to beta testers, and that's not using the Foveon chip.

The Foveon chip currently faces some challenges in the form of high ISO - the official spec for the Sigma DS9 now stands at ISO 400 as the highest ISO it could go; that was lowered from ISO 800 when Sigma originally touted the camera. Potential problems with the Foveon chip not being able to handle high ISO? possibly.

I believe the incorporation of the Foveon chip (if ever) should be in the next generation of DSLRs after the 1Ds (or watever it will be called). It is likely, following Canon's trend, to appear in a lower end body first, as a test bed for future work to incorporate the chip into the next high end flagship DSLR.......

but it's anybody's guess right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.