Someone jumped off the platform at Bukit Batok MRT Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

calisc

Guys,

The North South MRT line is now suspended. Someone jumped off the platform at Bukit Batok MRT station. I was there right after it happended though thankfully I didn't see any sights of the accident.

Gosh ! hope nobody is hurt....

not again... if they want to do silly thing can choose other kind of stunt, why MRT? It affect so many ppl :confused:

kiwitan said:
did the smrt install the recordable cctv yet, after having earned obsence profits last years...

I always see the big posters in every MRT stations saying that there are 40 over cameras monitoring every corners. However, as far as i know there are no recording function, imagine how much data the 40 over cameras can generate, it will be very costly to record and archieve these video (another excuse to increase fare?).

Therefore, the video captured by the 40 over cameras are for display in the control room only, however if u have noticed, there are only 1 or 2 staff at the control room (esp for NEL) and they will be too busy serving customer or do other work, then to stare at the screen displaying 40 over videos.

Wai said:
I always see the big posters in every MRT stations saying that there are 40 over cameras monitoring every corners. However, as far as i know there are no recording function, imagine how much data the 40 over cameras can generate, it will be very costly to record and archieve these video (another excuse to increase fare?).

Therefore, the video captured by the 40 over cameras are for display in the control room only, however if u have noticed, there are only 1 or 2 staff at the control room (esp for NEL) and they will be too busy serving customer or do other work, then to stare at the screen displaying 40 over videos.
They usually store the video for a short period of time, usually 1 day/1 week or so? Then overwrite the tapes/harddisk if nothing happened...

Jumping off MRT platform is the swiftest & definitive way to end a life...beats climbing over parapet, slashing wrist or dashing across roads.

West_ray said:
there seems to be an increase in incidents in mrt stations these yrs ... haiz

AReality said:
They usually store the video for a short period of time, usually 1 day/1 week or so? Then overwrite the tapes/harddisk if nothing happened...

from what i read in the last accident at bishan

When reporters told her she will not be able to see a recording of what had happened as closed-circuit TV (CCTV) cameras in the MRT station do not record, she insisted they can.

Told again the cameras will be fully upgraded only by 2006, she looked stunned. 'My goodness,' she said.

It will take two years to convert all CCTV cameras at SMRT's 51 stations to allow them to record, as installation can be done only when trains are not running, a spokesman said.

actually will be enough if can store the last 15 minutes or so, so that if anything happens, still can playback to see

I will say the 40 over "monitoring" cameras in every stations are almost useless, even if 1 delicated staff are there to look at the video at all time, it is quite hard for him to look at 40 over different video at one shot, and probably too late if something really happened

overdose of sleeping pills less painful lei

kiwitan said:
Jumping off MRT platform is the swiftest & definitive way to end a life...beats climbing over parapet, slashing wrist or dashing across roads.

I don't think so. i don't want to get too gruesome but... firstly the train is slowing down, no garentee it is instant death after being run over and if u get pinned instead, u could die slowly from trauma or shock...

but this thread isn't to discuss how to die painlessly, so i shant OT anymore.

Anyway, cctvs only tells u what happened. Prevention of suiciders start from family & friends, love & care. Dun demand resposibility from the Gov for this sort of thing.

why install so many expensive cameras? they just need to install door like underground mrt so noone will jump, the door will only open when the train arrive. neat and clean.

I think they will not record the camera using hard disk, usually they use timelapse recorder specially designed for CCTV. I think the trend of people suicide in MRT is increasing.......

whoelse said:
why install so many expensive cameras? they just need to install door like underground mrt so noone will jump, the door will only open when the train arrive. neat and clean.

install doors means u need air con, means we have to pay even higher fares, and MRT service will probably need to disrupt for weeks for this upgrade, not really feasible IMO.

May be it will be easier to install some form of barrier, at least if someone wanted to jump, he still have to climb over the barrier and other passenger may be able to stop him.

...Or put Mirrors on the opposite side like in Japan, and SMRT can announce that they'll sue the family of the person who jumped to recoup the money lost for the 1-2 hours disruption.

Based on the news report, it is fortunately that there was no death. Person was exhausted or sick and fell off the platform. It might be an accident this time but ultimately, we are responsible for our own life and safety.

whoelse said:

totally agree... very very very good safe and practical... BUT !! its sooo damn expensive.. and it means tat the installation of several airconditioning units.. which will definately be a wonderful and perfect excuse for increasing the fare....

Spokesman " Due to recent upgradings works such as installation of Automatic doors and Air-conditioning units and the improvement of CCTVs, i would like to announce the increase of fares, from the basic fare, a increment of $0.40 will be applicable too all concessionary and adult fares"

Spokesman 2 "With increased of items for maintenance, SMRT will be asking all workers to accept to a pay cut to accomodate more workers to maintain more technicians and equipment maintainence"

Press 1 " Erm sir, we are from XOXO Times, we would like to ask if the sudden increase of fares going to reduce the number of passengers taking the SMRT ?"

Spokesman " No. Definately no, SMRT transports 2.1Million citizens from work and school daily, and these people simply cannot live without SMRT, therefore the increase of fares will only allow SMRT to maintain its equipment and staffs and to recruit more technicians. Increment in fares also ensures that SMRT has more funds to work with future projects such as new and more improved trains and stations and of course, more Company Dinner and Dances"

Spokesman 2 " Increment in fares also meant bigger and better year end bonus and higher salary...thank you Singapore"

hehehehehehehehheehe :D :bsmilie:

calisc said:
Based on the news report, it is fortunately that there was no death. Person was exhausted or sick and fell off the platform. It might be an accident this time but ultimately, we are responsible for our own life and safety.

well that's why there's a yellow line. but really curious there are so many incidents in recent years.

wonder what is the record of the HK MTR. They also have open platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.