Somebody let me know should I get a monopod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
Hi,

Since I'm doing sports photography for my school for the year, I was wondering should I get a monopod to aid me with my shots... Shooting hand held gets tiring, albeit the great work-out :D

Or should I use the tripod?

I've tried turning my tripod into a monopod many times but usually its rather clumsy and awkward to use so what should I do? :think:

Regards,
Nick

don't use a tripod if you're along the sidelines. someone may just get impaled by it... :sweat:

what lenses are you using for shooting, anyway? if it's only a 70-200, it would be better to handhold it, because you can react faster PLUS you can zoom on the go without having to contend with a sore leg sticking out of the lens. only 300mm f/2.8 and heavier need to be mounted on a monopod for field events, a 300 f/4 should be possible to handhold as well. all said, but i was using my monopod when shooting at the New Paper New Face event a couple days back, because i don't think i can get away with moving all over and distracting the audience.

Basically, just get. A Slik Pro 600 is very good. AMT technology (damn light, 600 grams only), can extend quite long. Solid lever locks. $85 only. If got chance i will get that instead of the manfrotto 680. Somemore made in your country too. :thumbsup:

Then get a Manfrotto 234RC head with QR as it's only $35.
Not sure what other ballheads you have.

Basically, you can easily get a 1 stop advantage when using it perpendicular to the ground. That means at 200mm (300mm effective with 1.5x), you can do 1/150 easily. With proper technique, you can get 2 stops easily. With luck, i ever got 2 shots at 500mm (750mm effective) at 1/125s at New Paper New Face 2004. :D Very good to use when light levels are low. No use bumping ISO coz i have no qualms in using 1600.

This is useful if you are shooting for long periods (eg more than 5 mins, constant aiming) with anything heavier than 1kg.

Thanks for the advice.. :)

Now gotta start saving again! :bsmilie: I'll take note of this and will take a look when the time comes... ;)

Right now will stick with my tripod with one leg extended first... ;P

Hehehe...I just use a freind's carbon archery arrow.

Super light and stiff; offers instantly detachable support; tucks away in belt when not in use; can also hitch it on my waistpouch for standing shots (no need to fumble around with adjustments) and best of all....................

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

FOC! :D :D :D

I'm using the 'pod recommended by 2100. Right now because I've switched to velvia as my slide film of choice, its usage is like very low liao. Previously on 400 sensia, it is possible to get indoor shots with a monopod support -> shutter is like 1/8, 1/15 kinda range (no flash; with flash its easy). But with velvia 50 indoors not possible without a tripod.

That said, I've do not use my monopod for shooting when my shutter is at 1/60 or faster -> the resulting slides are sharp enough for me.

Alvin

PS: Above refers to my camera of choice when not shooting events: Minolta 7S, fixed 45mm, leaf shutter rangefinder.

Never used a monopod before. Just might try it out after seeing the answers to this post.

wah kaoz...the post 2yrs old liaoz...dun think he will remember this post also...

lol, who dig this threzad:bsmilie:

:bsmilie: i think this guy already hav 3 monopod combine into tripod liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.