Some very basic questions on film

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeppie99

Feb 26, 2002
community.webshots.com
Slide film

I browsed through the threads on developing slide film.

1. When slide film is said to be processed only(for $6-$7?), what is the product of this processing?

2. When there is processing and scanning($13+?), do I get a CD of all my images AND the processed film?

3. So the process of printing can be done by:
a. print all the images from the unprocessed film? (cheaper
but a lot of unwanted images?)
b. process the film and select which to print? (more ex but
choose your images?)

Negatives

Is the process entirely the same?

1. Even after negatives are processed, you cannot view them unless you print them out? Or is there the same sort of scanning and put into CD option?

Thanks for your help!

1. When slide film is said to be processed only(for $6-$7?), what is the product of this processing?

The product is slides, showing the actual colours of the image.

2. When there is processing and scanning($13+?), do I get a CD of all my images AND the processed film?

Yes you do.

So the process of printing can be done by:
a. print all the images from the unprocessed film? (cheaper
but a lot of unwanted images?)
b. process the film and select which to print? (more ex but
choose your images?)

Not (a), the film must be processed before you can print. For most people printing from slides, they will select the frames they want for print. Of course you can ask the lab to print all the frames once the film is processed, but will be quite expensive.

1. Even after negatives are processed, you cannot view them unless you print them out? Or is there the same sort of scanning and put into CD option?

You can view negatives, but the colours are inverted. So you can either print them or scan them. Yes of course there are negative scanning in CD services.

I'm sure you should be quite familiar with negatives since it's the common type of film used by most people.

HAHAHAH Here I come to add to the confusion!

What processing does generally is fixing the image on the exposed film and rendering it insensitive to light ... This makes the film ready for everything else... withought processing, the image will not be what you see and the film will still be sensitive to light. And you won't be able to view it (slides) or print from it. Printing involves passing light through the negs/slides onto a light sensitive photo paper, if the slides are not processed, it'll expose the film and all is gone... So does scanning.... So you'll need to process the film irregardless of what you want to do with it.

End product of slide processing is just the slide film, the image nicely fixed and ready for mounting (some shops offer mounting service as well). These slides are ready for viewing or projecting. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.