Some thoughts on the Panasonic LX5

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
just bought my own LX5 a couple of days ago from TK Foto. AFAIK, this camera has gotten some pretty rave reviews online since it's launch in Nov 2010. normally, i am not a big fan of compact cameras. but, just like everyone else, when it comes to portability and ease of use, everyone invariably will own one.

prior to the LX5, i was using the Canon S90 and Sony NEX3 (ok... technically, NEX3 is not a compact camera). both were excellent cameras in their own right, with excellent out-of-the-cam JPGs. however, niggly things (S90's extremely short battery life and NEX3's menu diving) drove me nuts.

after using the LX5 for a couple of days, my initial impressions are that it is somewhere in between these 2 - quite decent battery life so far (after 100+ shots and a 2min HD video, and not a drop in the batt life) and a fair balance of menu diving with on-hand buttons to change settings. out-of-cam pics were, for no better word, 'accurate' (or as dpreview puts it - 'cool'). definitely not as punchy as canon or sony without tweaking the film settings (more of this later) or in photoshop. but, if you want accurate colours, the LX5 certainly delivers.

i bought a colour chart from SGCamerstore a couple of days ago for all the product testing (plus it has a handy grey card and white balancing tool). this is shot using my product tent, with a 5000K-rated fluorescent lighting. i used custom white balance within the camera. straight out of camera, except resizing in PSE8. all the settings within the camera has been reset to neutral.

P1030052.jpg

as i see it, compared to the real life chart, the colours a little less saturated on screen.

did some high-ISO pics. as a compact camera, normally, i won't want to use anything above ISO400. LX5 is pretty clean, IMO, up to ISO800. anything after that, i personally won't want to use unless necessary.

ISO800
ISO800.jpg

ISO1600
ISO1600.jpg

ISO3200
ISO3200.jpg

ISO6400
ISO6400.jpg

ISO12800
ISO12800.jpg

all these were shot on a tripod, camera on manual setting. now, this is where i discover some thing quirky with the AWB of LX5 - it shifts. all these shots were shot on f8 and same settings. only variation is the shutter speed to get the correct exposure. unless i give a fair bit of time between each shot, i somehow cannot get 2 consecutive pics with the same colour rendition. i have observed this in real life shoot at home. probably this quirk happens under artificial lightings. i don't see this happening (yet) under natural lighting.

still, this is, IMO, a fairly good camera for daily shooting. for compact cameras, i prefer cameras that allow me to take a fair bit of controls. certainly, the LX5 has oodles of settings to your heart's content. however, the simulated film modes are a tad tacky for me. honestly, i can't see any significant visible difference, beyond slight changes in the hue and saturation right out of camera... the difference comes if i am willing to up the saturation and contrast in PS (so far, by abt +10). hence, i have been using the Standard film mode for all my shooting. the B&W film mode is handy for those who want a variation. but, again, straight out of cam, nothing spectacular. again, this could probably be a LX5's tendency to render accurate JPGs. not a deal-killer for me, and it doesn't detract LX5's capabilities as a competent semi-proish PnS.

so far, one niggly issue i have is with the top control dial - it is way too easy to change the shooting modes just some a slight touch or bump. it is not as firm as i like to be. those who use the S90, it is similar problem to your rear turn-dial.

overall, it is certainly a great PnS for those who want a semi-pro like camera. here are some pics that i took over the last couple of days, including my fren's wedding this morning.

the usefulness of the 24mm...

P1030006.jpg

P1030013.jpg

P1030028.jpg

P1030034.jpg

the macro function and bokeh

P1030030.jpg

Any LX5 owners can comment on the flash capabilities?

I used to own a panasonic lumix camera but the flash seems to be relatively week especially in indoor areas (such as ballroom).

Has the flash improved and perform to expectation for indoor shots?