Some stuff from my grandfather, who is an avid collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmailtotheworld

Apr 19, 2008
Trying to find out how much are these worth. I supposed they are all produced in the 1970s. My grandfather left behind the following:

Yashica Electron 35
2430377202_c5ffa9a92c.jpg

Rollei XF35
2430377102_5f793f6bb2.jpg

Yashica FR I
2430377172_50c7ebb8a8.jpg

I don't know if they are still working as i have no experience in manual cameras. Can anyone advice?

You have 2 rangefinders and 1 SLR.

What type of advise do you want? These are good for avis collectors. You can have them assessed at a camera shop (those that do repairs).

Any camera shops to recommend? I just want to find out the value for those, if they are working, and if they are not.

cam x is pretty good...i got my grand dad's yashica electro 35 repaired and cleaned there. the guy even changed the split screen (Forgot what it's called) to make it easier to do focusing

agentmonkey....change the split screen???

The split image is a small triangle in the centre. Change meaning enhance the centre spot or the whole screen can be use to focus?

Back to the original question. Any estimates on how much they are worth?

Also, how much does repairs for such antiques usually cost?

They arent really antiques, more like vintage.
Well, my feel is that for the Electro, it can range from $50 to $150, depending on condition. There isnt a proper 'market' for them, a lot depends on exterior (if its a rare camera, which these arent really), or function (if the exterior is a bit on the rough side)
At those sort of prices, I'd just hang on to them.

cheers

rf

agentmonkey....change the split screen???

The split image is a small triangle in the centre. Change meaning enhance the centre spot or the whole screen can be use to focus?

how to explain...hmm..initially i used a black tape to cover the triangle portion to make it easier to see a contrast between two images so they could be aligned properly when focused...the guy at the shop said he could replace the glass for me instead of using the black tape...really sorry i can't give the technical names and that i'm using very vague terms to describe

Back to the original question. Any estimates on how much they are worth?

Also, how much does repairs for such antiques usually cost?

for the electro 35, i paid under a 100 to get it cleaned up (removing of fungus on the lens) and getting the split screen thing i mentioned replaced.

are you intending on selling them? they're quite fun to use especially if you're doing street photography...it's not big so people don't pay attention to it when you point it at them, not to mention the sentimental value

i see i see. thanks guys.

but i've got no experience in any forms of photography thus far. don't really know if i should keep, repair and use it, or sell it.

but i've got no experience in any forms of photography thus far. don't really know if i should keep, repair and use it, or sell it.

Buy the battery and check it yourself!
If it not working? Then you should think about it
weather you should repair it or not?
Btw, are you going to used them?
If not! Just keep it and clean it yourself and put it up on display!
To get the cameras fix will not be cheap
and why waste the money if you are not going to use them! :dunno:

Good luck.

The guy at CamX is Nick Foo, the brother of a fren of mine. What you can do is to bring the cams to him and see if he is willing to try and sell for you or trade with something he has. you may find something of use at his shop, and then you can do a trade ;)

this is a good time to pick up photography then! learning with a film camera is good, helps you to be less trigger happy

yes cam x is in adelphi. did you put the batteries i mentioned above inside?

and you don't need a mentor or go for lessons to learn photography! this is one of those hobbies you can do at your own time and leisure...no offence but don't think about earning money from your grand dad's stuff man..those are relics, should treasure them..i would because firstly it's so hard to come by now and secondly, it's been passed down..your grand dad was obviously an avid photographer of sorts..i think he would be happy if you made used of his cameras to learn photography...and who knows, you could make more money from the photos you shoot with the camera

just my opinion, please don't take any offence

Status
Not open for further replies.