some strange disparate questions on FLASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzboxz

Oct 16, 2008
hi , am new to this got some questions to ask re FLASH
hope you guys can help!

1. when checking focusing issues for lens, eg front/back focusing. Is it detrimental to use flash? even with relatively slow shutter speeds, flash tends to freeze the image and will allow a sharper image.. why then do most pple turn off flash when testing lenses in a dimly lit area? eg shop area

2. when shooting flowers, i find that using flash even in daylight produces very vibrant colours. why do pple avoid using flash for such objects then?

thank you

1. when checking focusing issues for lens, eg front/back focusing. Is it detrimental to use flash? even with relatively slow shutter speeds, flash tends to freeze the image and will allow a sharper image.. why then do most pple turn off flash when testing lenses in a dimly lit area? eg shop area

2. when shooting flowers, i find that using flash even in daylight produces very vibrant colours. why do pple avoid using flash for such objects then?

thank you

Hi there!

I don't think 'freezing the image' with flash will give a sharper image if the subject is already stationary :) As for whether it's detrimental to testing, the answer is 'no'. front/back focusing will be present regardless of whether you use flash.

Why people turn off flash? Well, I don't, but perhaps they want to see how the lens perform in low with its aperture wide open?

Well, since camera flashes and sunlight are of the same colour temperature, it brightens up the subject without affecting colour balance, so yea, it looks more vibrant :) As for why some people don't use flash, one possible reason is that flash light come from a point source. Hence, the subject cast ugly shadows in the BG and look like a paper cut-out rather than the 3D object it is. Diffusers can solve that though :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Trent

hi , am new to this got some questions to ask re FLASH
hope you guys can help!

thank you

Actually, there are misconceptions with using flash, esp those direct harsh flash techniques which are normally used by novices or with PnS.

Thus a lot of users believe that using flash is not good and does not make them look pro enough.

But on the other hand, the correct usage of flash with the correct methods and settings will make the shots look natural and beautiful. It's a matter of learning and practising till you get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.