Some shots on everything that flies at SBG

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
Hi all,

Manage to get hold of a Nikkor 70-300mm-G to try out at the SBG.
For the price of this lens, I think they are well worth every cent.
But did switch to MF most of the time as the AF motor spinning always scares the birds away and cannot focus most of the time..... :D

Here are some shots. Comments on the compositions greatly appreciated.

1) Dragonfly having some 69 fun
DSC_0991.jpg

2)Is that a small bee heading for the landing pad?
DSC_0995.jpg

3) Need an ID on this bird and tip on how to get the exposure right ...
The branches seems burned badly.
DSC_1036.jpg

4)Need ID for this bird also. Used MF for this. Slightly out of focus I think.
DSC_1038.jpg

5) banking right ... banking right ... Some Pigeons flying off ...
DSC_1099.jpg

Thanks for viewing.... :)

chngpe01 said:
Very good especially the flight shots of the insects. Well done, I couldn't have done better. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments. :)

I think the colors of the birds are really out and not natural. :confused: Using your photos of birds as benchmark, I still have a long way to go.... :D

Very sharp shots actually. Bokeh looks good too. Been a long time since i go shoot outdoors...

wheels said:
Hi all,

3) Need an ID on this bird and tip on how to get the exposure right ...
The branches seems burned badly.

4)Need ID for this bird also. Used MF for this. Slightly out of focus I think.

Sorry did not see this.

The bird is a little Heron, generally because the background and also that branch is brighter than the subject(which is also under shade) you could get the exposure of branch correct at the same time use abit of flash as a fill-in. Alternatively, if no flash then meter the bird and than step down probably 1/2 stop to balance the exposure. Not sure if it will work well.

For pic 4 it is a Magpie Robin, are you using a tripod? go to use one and also abit oof.

Cheers

Love the photos.

I am also enjoying the challenge of trying to identify the birds. I can sit in New Zealand and still "watch" asian birds, so please keep taking those pictures.

The second bird is the male Magpie Robin.

The heron / bittern is intriuging with the red legs.
What size would it have been, it looks quite small ??

I see the Little heron illustrated in
"A Field Guide to the Birds of South-east Asia"

shows yellow legs, is this not right ??

Murray Smith said:
I see the Little heron illustrated in
"A Field Guide to the Birds of South-east Asia"

shows yellow legs, is this not right ??

Interesting observation. If I'm not wrong, they typically have streaked brownish legs. In the above shot, the little Heron was under the shade, probably why the color looked reddish...

Anyway, good to hear from people of the land of the long white cloud. Welcome to Clubsnap!!

The first shot with the dragonflies in a mid-air fling is particularly well done :thumbsup: Love the 2nd shot's composure too, simple but yet interesting, another good one! :)

Keep up the good work!

2nd shot was Greatz!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Agree with most, the first shot is really unique in that it captures the two mating dragonflies in mid-air, pretty unusual shot. :cool: The 2nd shot is great too in its simplicity, the almost peaceful tones of the flower petals and bud makes a good backdrop and gives a sense of perspective to how big it is compared to the tiny bee which has been captured in sharp focus.

Great shots, keep it up. :thumbsup:

WOW...!!! Mr National Geographic...

How the heavens did you shoot the dragonflies courting in mid air mate??

Fantabulous shots!

Thanks wkcheah, oeyvind, foxtwo, Avatar, Garion for your kind comments.... Really appreciate it and glad you guys like some of the shots. Still got alot to learn from you guys here. :)

chngpe01 said:
Sorry did not see this.

The bird is a little Heron, generally because the background and also that branch is brighter than the subject(which is also under shade) you could get the exposure of branch correct at the same time use abit of flash as a fill-in. Alternatively, if no flash then meter the bird and than step down probably 1/2 stop to balance the exposure. Not sure if it will work well.

For pic 4 it is a Magpie Robin, are you using a tripod? go to use one and also abit oof.

Cheers
Thanks chngpe01 for your tip and ID on the birds. Will try the flash the next time round. And I am using a tripod, but doing manual focusing so maybe that's why blur picture. By the way, most of the time, do u use center weighted metering?

Murray Smith said:
Sorry did not see this.

Love the photos.

I am also enjoying the challenge of trying to identify the birds. I can sit in New Zealand and still "watch" asian birds, so please keep taking those pictures.

The second bird is the male Magpie Robin.

The heron / bittern is intriuging with the red legs.
What size would it have been, it looks quite small ??
Thanks Murray Smith (far away in New Zealand).... :) for your ID on the birds. Will continue to shoot more birds. :bsmilie: . As for the legs, blame it on my poor metering skills, it is definitely not red is I remember correctly. :)

xaer said:
WOW...!!! Mr National Geographic...

How the heavens did you shoot the dragonflies courting in mid air mate??

Fantabulous shots!

Haha ... funny ... How I wish I can work for National Geographic. Can always travel around the world to take photo for free.... :think:

Bro ... just lucky to catch this shot at the right time. :)

One of these days, we go shoot some nature la... :)

i like no 1 & 5.. great shots..

no 1 looks like chopper refueling in mid air :blah:

wilis128 said:
i like no 1 & 5.. great shots..

no 1 looks like chopper refueling in mid air :blah:

Thanks.

Hmm ... A different perpective for me to ponder about for pic 1. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.