Some rumours from a reliable source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
Was talking with my Canon source today at the Photoimaging conference in Melbourne.

Can confirm to you that the EOS 3D is on schedule for a September release.

Before you all ask a few things I DON'T know...

1) I don't know how many MP it will have but its more then the 10D

2) I don't know if its full frame or 1.3 but its one of the two not 1.6

A few things I do know
1) It will be released at the same time as a updated EOS 3 type film camera
and it will be CMOS based

2) The name EOS 3 is not nessesarily going to be used but the camera will slot in between the 1D and the 10D in price and feature set.

A few other little things ....updated 1D due around the same time with possibly the worlds first interleaved CMOS processor.

10D focusing issue is considered by Canon Japan to be a non issue (I agree)

Totaly new injet Photo printing system due to be released before end of year with 4800x4800 dpi and 8 more then 6 colors(never heard of this mbefore myself?).

A few other things ...
The Kodak 14n is a joke ...the samples they had were awful and they knew it ...

The Olydak 4/3 is a E-20 with a grip and a detatchable lens ..nothing much to write home about

Sigma lenses are noisy ...really noisy even their HSM which is supposed to be like USM sounded really loud.

The new Sinar digital backs are really really really nice ....

Nikon had absolutly nothing to report ...no word on any D1x/H update (these things are now older then Rome in digital camera years)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=5021953

The thread starter (Paul pope) was the same person who post abt the leaked 10D info last time

Scully this time is 1999$ with free Canon CMOS cleaning kit.

:devil: Dun flame me.. heheheheheheh just joking. ;p

Paul Pope has been pretty reliable thus far on 1Ds, 10D, etc..

Anyway... this means we're gonna see lotsa used DSLR in the coming months.... ;p

Who can even catch up with Canon?

Not to mention a series of telephoto DO 500mm and 600mm lenses.

Good news for camera collectors. So many new DSLR these days.

If it's really a 3D, and comes with 45 AF points with ECF, 85ms focusing speed and changeable focusing screen.... I will be more than willing to get one. ^^

ECF is the Eye Control thingy? If so, there should be none I guess since none of Canon EOS DSLR has it (even 1Ds)

45 focus points with Eye-Controlled Focus lah.
Without ECF, choosing focus points while you are in a hurry is a really difficult task.

:D Just wait n see lol....
Wow. seems like this high tech upgrade frenzy by canon is ongoing and hot in process.

(rubbing hands n saving up :devil: )

Ok... Time to put my 10D plans on hold and check out the new stuff and the future 2nd hand market... heee heee... :p

Nikon had absolutly nothing to report ...no word on any D1x/H update (these things are now older then Rome in digital camera years)

You know, I like the way Canon users are picking up on this and having a go at Nikon, and in the same way Nikon users are picking up on this and complaining.

It wasn't all that long ago when Nikon had a D1 and Canon had nothing (that wasn't someone elses' camera, and vastly inferior). And then Nikon had the D1x/h updates, when Canon still had nothing.

Short memories...

Originally posted by Jed
You know, I like the way Canon users are picking up on this and having a go at Nikon, and in the same way Nikon users are picking up on this and complaining.

It wasn't all that long ago when Nikon had a D1 and Canon had nothing (that wasn't someone elses' camera, and vastly inferior). And then Nikon had the D1x/h updates, when Canon still had nothing.

Short memories...

But you see, I would never have considered a D1 or D1x.

The D30 was the first (relatively) affordable DSLR, and I think it gained Canon many die-hard fans.

Before the D30 I was a Nikon 990 user...

Originally posted by Jed

Short memories...

imagine if they did this for CD players!

Originally posted by StreetShooter
But you see, I would never have considered a D1 or D1x.

The D30 was the first (relatively) affordable DSLR, and I think it gained Canon many die-hard fans.

Eh? I'm just relating the same logic of the original guy. Nikon's D1 and D1x/h are ancient compared to Canon's stuff. Yet Canon's stuff was similarly ancient when Nikon launched the D1. And then the D1x/h. It has nothing to do with whether you would have bought it or not.

And yes, the D30 was the first relatively affordable DSLR, along with the Fuji S1 Pro, which alas thanks to brand snobs, never really caught on as well. It's a pity Canon's D1x/h equivalent (which is what we're discussing here) didn't maintain this relatively affordable trend they started.

Originally posted by Jed
Eh? I'm just relating the same logic of the original guy. Nikon's D1 and D1x/h are ancient compared to Canon's stuff. Yet Canon's stuff was similarly ancient when Nikon launched the D1. And then the D1x/h. It has nothing to do with whether you would have bought it or not.

And yes, the D30 was the first relatively affordable DSLR, along with the Fuji S1 Pro, which alas thanks to brand snobs, never really caught on as well. It's a pity Canon's D1x/h equivalent (which is what we're discussing here) didn't maintain this relatively affordable trend they started.

I dunno about the marketing wisdom of lowering the price (and profitability) of the 1D and 1Ds. What Canon is doing (methinks) is hooking people with the D30, D60 and 10D, who later upgrade to the 1D and 1Ds. I'm talking about the enthusiast consumer market here, not the pro's, who've already bought into the 1D and 1Ds lock stock and barrel (save for a few Nikon diehards :devil: ). You can check the number of upgraders on dpreview if you want.

Meanwhile (for me, anyway) the 10D is more camera than I need at the moment (and what great value!). I'm not familiar with the D100, so I won't comment on Nikon's offering. I must say it seems less popular than Canon's DSLR's though.

Whoa!!! Then must wait man.. I suspected all along 10D wasn't the big thing Canon had in mind.... The 1.6x is still very much a pain... which prevents me from upgrading from D30. So far, I've had to let the camera body dictate the kind of lenses I use or even buy (17-40?!) which I find to be ridiculous on my budget (adds further strain) and photo-taking...

I don't care about Canon's marketing. I'm just commenting about a comment that Nikon's failed to respond to Canon's cameras for a shameful length of time, by pointing out that it took Canon longer to respond to the D1, and then the D1x/h in the first place. Which is undeniable fact, so there's really no need to start throwing in marketing strategy.

Yes, I don't need to go to Dpreview to see the number of upgraders. The number of CSers who've gone from D30 to D60 to 10D is amazing (no, I'm not singling yourself out, at any rate I believe you skipped a step), which basically means Canon's marketing strategy that you highlight is working fine, at the expense of those people throwing down (I emphasise I said down, not away) money to get the 10D for example.

Which I've heard described in some quarters, whether justified or not, as finally taking the 10D to where the D60 should have been; up to the level of the D100. I'm not advocating this statement or proclaiming it's validity, merely pointing out that I've heard that as much as I've heard that the Canon bodies are more popular than the D100, as you say "seems" to be the case.

It might also have something to do with the fact that Canon have three bodies, Nikon in theory just the one, it's not a stretch to say that sales of the D30, D60 and 10D would outstrip the D100, since the Canon trio have many repeat customers. Nikon users haven't had to rebuy the D100 yet.

Originally posted by Jed
It might also have something to do with the fact that Canon have three bodies, Nikon in theory just the one, it's not a stretch to say that sales of the D30, D60 and 10D would outstrip the D100, since the Canon trio have many repeat customers. Nikon users haven't had to rebuy the D100 yet.

Yes, there's only one D100 or S2 Pro. So there's nothing in that same price range to 'upgrade' to. But yes, the number of 10D users is plain crazy....

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.